Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Changed Brake Pads Do I Need New Shims? Or Can I Re-use?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Changed Brake Pads Do I Need New Shims? Or Can I Re-use?

I changed my rear brake pads and now im hearing some weird *** noises... so i took it too a mechanic and he said its coming from the brakes... everytime i drive i here a ... Tick...tick...tick..tick...tick...tick. So he said it could be the shims or it could also be the brake pads not sitting right.... either way i dont know what the problem is yet... maybe someone with some information can help me.... I did not get new shims when changing the rear pads... but the old shims that were in there were kinda separated... meaning it looked broken.. it had a crack in it.. was i suppose to get new shims? I'm thinking now i should of.... just because i keep hearing this tick tick noise. Help?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oem brembo shims? They come apart apart when you take your old pads off (not reusable). Most higher end brake pads come with a shim attached to it unless you got a napa brand and never got the shims separately. Did you use lube on the back of them? And did you put back the vibrator clips in properly?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Well i did not know i could not re-use the shims... yes they did break apart but i just re used them and grease the back of them as well as the pad... im sure i put the vibrate clips back in place.... so do you think its the shims rattling around? I suppose i have to go to napa and get some shims then.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Uh the stock shims are reusable...
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

turn the radio up, it's an evo
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SyZyGy1394
Uh the stock shims are reusable...

1 guy says there not and someone else says they are.....hmmm... ok ill just keep them then. Still have that annoying sound... tick...tick...tick...tick. arghhh..
Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty sure their not and that's why they break apart into 2 pieces when you take it apart but I could be wrong. I'd buy new ones and give it a shot but it's up to you. Could be your vibrator clips
Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They don't "break" apart, they are 2 totally separate pieces and yes you can reuse them as long as you clean all the adhesive off the backs and in between them and relubricate them.

Is it only when you brake hard? Soft? Coming to a stop slowly or quickly? Braking at 55, 65, 75?

Do you hear the noise when you lift the rear off the ground and turn the wheel(s) by hand?

I've seen some brake pad backings catch on different types of rotors. For instance with my rear rotors I have to shave the housing down to match the pattern of the brake pad material itself or it rubs on the bolts on my 2 piece rotors.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
I changed my rear brake pads and now im hearing some weird *** noises... so i took it too a mechanic and he said its coming from the brakes... everytime i drive i here a ... Tick...tick...tick..tick...tick...tick. So he said it could be the shims or it could also be the brake pads not sitting right.... either way i dont know what the problem is yet... maybe someone with some information can help me.... I did not get new shims when changing the rear pads... but the old shims that were in there were kinda separated... meaning it looked broken.. it had a crack in it.. was i suppose to get new shims? I'm thinking now i should of.... just because i keep hearing this tick tick noise. Help?
I dont use any of the shims on my stoptech street pads or my carbotech xp8s and never heard any wierd noise or had any issues. I would check to make sure you dont have something rubbing like a rock stuck between the backing plate and the rotor, the backing plate itself rubbing, a rock in the tire tread, or maybe you just might have a warped rotor.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:11 AM

http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catal...ction=856#2166

If you're referring to these then yes they're reusable.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't remember if I re-usd the oe ones or not... but I can tell you you're fine to run without shims, I've done it in the past. Otherwise just order a couple sets of Centric shims. Thats what I'm using now on both my street and track pads. They're cheap and they work fine.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:52 AM
SME
Evolved Member

I reuse mine...
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by logicrow21
http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catal...ction=856#2166

If you're referring to these then yes they're reusable.
+1

I've probably went through 20 sets of pads and reused the shims on the front and back.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05blue8
They don't "break" apart, they are 2 totally separate pieces and yes you can reuse them as long as you clean all the adhesive off the backs and in between them and relubricate them.

Is it only when you brake hard? Soft? Coming to a stop slowly or quickly? Braking at 55, 65, 75?

Do you hear the noise when you lift the rear off the ground and turn the wheel(s) by hand?

I've seen some brake pad backings catch on different types of rotors. For instance with my rear rotors I have to shave the housing down to match the pattern of the brake pad material itself or it rubs on the bolts on my 2 piece rotors.
The funny thing is ITS NOT when im breaking.... AT ALL.... its only when i drive normal.. over 5mph you can start hearing it. Could be the rotors?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
The funny thing is ITS NOT when im breaking.... AT ALL.... its only when i drive normal.. over 5mph you can start hearing it. Could be the rotors?
Why don't you pop out the pads and look for signs of irregular wear. Then grease them up (lightly), put them back in and bed them back in. Easy enough option...

Quick Reply: Changed Brake Pads Do I Need New Shims? Or Can I Re-use?