Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

who's running CL RC5+?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2011, 12:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
who's running CL RC5+?

Hello-

I would like to hear some input from people who are currently running or have run CL RC5+ pads on their evo 8/9?

I am looking for a nice DD pad that doesnt mind slowing down a rocketing evo or slowing a evo from 80-120mph

it's a true 600whp DD, so the car accelerates quickly. I hustle my DD every chance i get. ~20k miles / year....

Please share your experience / input for city / street / canyon manors.....

if you could, please list other pads that you have used for comparison sake.

i am currently on:

et800's.....they are nice, no fading isues @ all, low dust, kinda noisey with light brake pedal effort, works well when cold, driving away in the morning.

past pad experience:

ds2500.....nice pads, no fading isues @ all, LOTS of dust, but really quite for me....worked the best when cold, driving away in the morning, i liked these pads the best on the street, but the dusting sucks & made me look elsewhere.

ebc red......didnt care for them, fade/shudder when slowing my car down from a 3rd gear pull, low / no dust....made some noise with light pedal effort - coming to a stop light/stop sign, works well when cold, driving away in the morning.

project mu.....worse pads i ever tried....removed after the 4th day, put stockers back in & got something else.

Thanks for your insight / input / contribution

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Aug 6, 2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 05:26 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLs are very loud. Get some Carbotechs.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 08:11 AM
Former Sponsor

^yeah, i considered those a while ago, but the vendor sent me the wrong pads & said it was going to be several weeks to get the carbotechs, so i went with the et800's.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:25 PM
vd
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had no luck with them. Damaged in one track session, started to fall apart and destroying my 2-piece rotors. Though braking was good, maybe it is just my low luck with them or anything.

As for aggressive pads that can stop the car, I prefer RC6E (very good in all aspects, but destroy the rotors in DD extremely fast) and ST43 (only drawback so far is a lot of noise under light braking in the traffic) more. But these are track pads.

ET700 just can't brake hard enough for me, so street only; DS2500 are good, but a bit noisy.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by vd
I've had no luck with them. Damaged in one track session, started to fall apart and destroying my 2-piece rotors. Though braking was good, maybe it is just my low luck with them or anything.

As for aggressive pads that can stop the car, I prefer RC6E (very good in all aspects, but destroy the rotors in DD extremely fast) and ST43 (only drawback so far is a lot of noise under light braking in the traffic) more. But these are track pads.

ET700 just can't brake hard enough for me, so street only; DS2500 are good, but a bit noisy.
No you're no the only one who has had issues with Racing Brake pads. Mine and a few other went from having near new pads down to metal within 4-5 sessions at a track event. Worst pads ever.....

Aby I suggest you try the EBC yellows or Stoptech street pads
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the RC5+'s on my car. They are very loud if you are DDing the car. They need some heat in them to quiet down. I use them for AutoX and for the performance they are fantastic. Dust like crazy though.

EBC yellows are a good choice or even the WORKS pads.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for your input.....

i will look into the works blue pads.....
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

I recently just switched to the Carbotech Bobcats (entry level/ Auto-X). They've been great so far but I haven't run them long enough to give you enough useful data. I will say they have great initial bite and are more than quiet enough for street use. Slight squealing when applying almost no pressure to the pedal- but I didn't apply anything to stop vibration like I have in the past, so I'm assuming they would be almost silent if I had. Definitely the most aggressive pads I've ever had on my car.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:25 PM
Former Sponsor

^ Thanks.

anyone rocking the ebc yellows?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 08:24 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Works pads are rebadged RacingBrakes. I've use the entire RB line, and while they are great, they are no longer recommended for track use, at least by me and my friends. The Et900s will work well for entry HPDE, like your first/secodn time doing it, but no more than that. We've expressed this to RB, and they are in process of making something entirely different, supposedly.

As for the post regarding pads killing rotors, if you use race pads on the street, you're in essence putting the rotors on a lathe. Race compounds are harder, and need heat to work well. In street use, the low temp never allows the pads to work, so you're really only stopping with friction, which causes the rotors to wear. Check out the Essex sie for a good video on that. Jeff uses a race pad to cut his rotors before changing to new pads.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have CL RC6's... and I have to save they are absolutely unbearable in day to day traffic. I daily my Evo, and its EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE E eeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE at every light.

But... I refuse to take them off because they bite so hard. As far as performance, I have never experienced a better pad. I have 3k miles on them now. I have never had issues, cold or hot. Great pads, just get ready for the EEEEEEEEEEEEE.

-Acree
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^the project mu are very loud as well. I have them on my gf's evo viii. Terrible noise. I however have the hawk pads and they have worked well for the dd so far. Every once in a while when heated they squeal
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:11 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Acree
I have CL RC6's... and I have to save they are absolutely unbearable in day to day traffic. I daily my Evo, and its EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE E eeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE at every light.

But... I refuse to take them off because they bite so hard. As far as performance, I have never experienced a better pad. I have 3k miles on them now. I have never had issues, cold or hot. Great pads, just get ready for the EEEEEEEEEEEEE.

-Acree
They make no noise during track conditions though.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've run RC 5s, 6s, and 8s and they all rock, but are very loud. The 8s are lasting for quite a long time on our Time Attack car, but may require ear plugs when driving around town.

Dan
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:55 PM
Former Sponsor

ok, seems like i maybe choosing between:

ds2500's = great performers in my experince, quiet, great when cold, but dusty

or......thinking about

ebc yellows = ?? I hope the performance leap is substantial from red to yellow. my ebc reds were low dusting , they made more noise than the ds2500's & they missed the mark in performance

as acree pointed out, the dreaded EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE with light pedal loads when aproaching a stop sign or light just ruins it for me.....

Im not going to aproach a signal or stop sign as if i am pulling into my pit box for 3.2 second pit stop / tire change! So i am looking for something quieter regardless of pedal pressure....

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Aug 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: who's running CL RC5+?