Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What are the best drilled rotors i can use without spending 350 a set?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2011, 01:38 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Blanks > Slotted > Drilled

DBA is high quality without the high price. That's currently what I'm running on my track evo.

Last edited by golgo13; Sep 7, 2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ive always used rotor pros, $240 shipped for all 4 corners drilled and slotted.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the imput. I'll probably go with slotted then. I dont track but stopping from 100+ with the stock rotors isnt the greatest brake fade is terrible the calipers are just too big way too much pad surface to use solid rotors. The set of zinc on ebay seem like the best bang for the buck
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:04 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rotors dont cause don't brake fade my friend. You're blaming the wrong thing. Rotor venting design can help control temperatures, and resist brake fade, but it has more to do with pads and fluids. If you're daily driving on the street, and braking from 100+ enough to build that much heat to fade yours brakes, which I have doubts about, then you need to look into better pads. I know guys that run stock rotors on the track without your issues.

Last edited by chu; Sep 8, 2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
Thanks for the imput. I'll probably go with slotted then. I dont track but stopping from 100+ with the stock rotors isnt the greatest brake fade is terrible the calipers are just too big way too much pad surface to use solid rotors. The set of zinc on ebay seem like the best bang for the buck

Wat!

If you don't want brake fade then don't let Chu ride in your car. Ask me how I know...
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:12 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
Wat!

If you don't want brake fade then don't let Chu ride in your car. Ask me how I know...
I don't even know you dawg!
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

don't make me post the video foo!
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:21 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
don't make me post the video foo!
Damn, there's footage?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Chu, doesn't need brakes. He just goes flat-out!

OP, you got it all wrong. Better pads, better fluid, Papa Johns!
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:29 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
Chu, doesn't need brakes. He just goes flat-out!

OP, you got it all wrong. Better pads, better fluid, Papa Johns!
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ct-thread.html

Brake pads are what is the issue here.

OP - my thread is still relevant to your interest.

I would NOT get cheap ebay rotors. Their metal quality sucks. Get the Premium Centrics from vendors like MAP.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

I ended up cheaping out and bought the non-centric versions of the oem blank rotors. They get the job done but Im sure the vibration issues Im starting to notice braking at high speeds on the track are due to the cheapo rotors. Its only very minor at this point and these rotors have worked flawlessly otherwise for 2 seasons of autox and some track events so I feel they have had their moneys worth, for me.

For the posts above talking about brake fade. stock calipers and oem sized rotors will work just fine for 90% of EVO owners that take their cars out to a hpde event. The deciding factor on how well they will perform is your selection of brake pads and fluid. If you guys are under 350 awhp and have zero to mild weight reduction, on street tires, I recommend carbotech xp8s with a good flush of brembo lcf 600 plus racing brake fluid. Having tried various fluids, for the price and performance this fluid cant be beat imo.

I dont hear many guys on here using this fluid, thats why I wanted to test it out. Its about similar in price to motul and has MUCH less compressibility. I seem to be the only guy on here who is dissatisfied with motul, but I do hear similar complaints as me (motul fluid becoming very compressible as it heats up)with various porsche club guys at the track, fwiw.

From my understanding fluid fade is different than its property of being compressible. The spongy pedal feel mid day after a few hot laps the pedal may be softer and have more travel, yet still braking fine, just requiring more travel. I guess from reading Motul has this tendency and it may not be air,moisture or fluid fade, just a property of the fluid's compressibilty. After the temps go down you may notice the pedal being firm again, that is until it heats up again..

**So this is what I been researching and reading up on. And so far has made sense from my own testing. Im not an expert and am just posting results from different setups to try and add to the knowledge pool on here. I really do hope someone could verify my info that knows a little more than me as I hope my understanding of this isnt flawed. Im always learning and dont like to post false info.