Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

How much powder coating needed for 4 wheels?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2011, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much powder coating needed for 4 wheels?

Hey everyone,
I was thinking to powder coat my stock Enkei wheels in gold.

I have searched but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.
I saw some people mentioned (here and there) coating adds about 4oz per wheel (for each coat) and since many people do 2 coats we are looking at 8oz per wheel and 32oz =2lbs for a set of four.

However, my friend who is going to powder coat my wheels told me he asked his supplier and he told him 5lbs of powder needed I wonder if he just told him that because he wants to sell 5 lbs?? Can anyone clarify this?

My main concern is the added weight and off course the cost of the powder itself.

Any input would be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old Sep 10, 2011, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the powder during the actual coating never even makes it on what ever your trying to coat. No way will it add 2 pounds overall, I'd be surprised if it even added .5 pound total.

Once the powder cures it will negligible. (I've been doing my own powder coating the last few months, so I can tell you from first hand experience the weight difference will be negligible).

Also, having to use 5 pounds of powder to do all four wheels sounds about right The cost of the powder is usually pretty cheap (depending what type and how much you go with). You'll be fine

What color are you putting on?

-Bink
Old Sep 10, 2011, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by binky
Most of the powder during the actual coating never even makes it on what ever your trying to coat. No way will it add 2 pounds overall, I'd be surprised if it even added .5 pound total.

Once the powder cures it will negligible. (I've been doing my own powder coating the last few months, so I can tell you from first hand experience the weight difference will be negligible).

Also, having to use 5 pounds of powder to do all four wheels sounds about right The cost of the powder is usually pretty cheap (depending what type and how much you go with). You'll be fine

What color are you putting on?

-Bink
Great , thank you very much for the great info

How cheap is the cost of the powder itself?
I am quoted $30 per lbs so $150 total but I guess it's a high quality powder.
Is that little steep or normal?

I am also advised to have them sand blasted which is another $30 a wheel so with all done I am looking at $60-70 a wheel..Keep in mind my friend doesn't charge me for anything besides the cost of the powder and third party shop who will do the sandblasting...
, maybe during that process I also lose some the clear coat and the color and the added weight becomes negligible ..

Speaking of the color; I actually want to get gold since I like the WW and gold combo. This is the color I am pursuing

Old Sep 10, 2011, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Obviously posted on the wrong section, admins can remove this to Evo X> wheels section.

Sorry for the misplacement.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Anytime

30$ / pound is on the more expensive side, but then again, the color is more exotic, which is why the price is higher.

30$ for the sandblasting is a good deal. It can take a while and can we a PITA.

Also, ask if it's an actual sandblast or a glass bead. Sandblasting will actually remove material from the wheel and has the possibility to warp whatever piece is being blasted due to the temperature a part can reach when being sand blasted. Using glass bead on the other hand, keeps the temperature lower, it will remove whatever coating is on there already and it won't remove the material. I'm not saying sandblasting is bad, it definitely has it purposes. Glass beading can be more gentle on the part. Say, perhaps you curbed a rim and material does need to be removed in order to flatten a surface out. Basically I'm just saying ask which they are using and why

Nice choice on the color, the car will look sweet

-Bink
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Anytime

30$ / pound is on the more expensive side, but then again, the color is more exotic, which is why the price is higher.

30$ for the sandblasting is a good deal. It can take a while and can we a PITA.

Also, ask if it's an actual sandblast or a glass bead. Sandblasting will actually remove material from the wheel and has the possibility to warp whatever piece is being blasted due to the temperature a part can reach when being sand blasted. Using glass bead on the other hand, keeps the temperature lower, it will remove whatever coating is on there already and it won't remove the material. I'm not saying sandblasting is bad, it definitely has it purposes. Glass beading can be more gentle on the part. Say, perhaps you curbed a rim and material does need to be removed in order to flatten a surface out. Basically I'm just saying ask which they are using and why

Nice choice on the color, the car will look sweet

-Bink
Thank you sir, . I've never had this done before so I am pretty excited

Very good points you made above.

When I ask my buddy if I need a sand blast or some sort of removal process, he already mentioned that he recommends beads, and the other place (removal place) they are working with only do "beads". So I guess I am good to go
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by glamcem
Thank you sir, . I've never had this done before so I am pretty excited

Very good points you made above.

When I ask my buddy if I need a sand blast or some sort of removal process, he already mentioned that he recommends beads, and the other place (removal place) they are working with only do "beads". So I guess I am good to go
Sure thing

Perfect, the bead will be just fine

-Bink
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Sure thing

Perfect, the bead will be just fine

-Bink
will post the pics here once it's done,
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Any pics yet? I know the guy around me charges 350-400$ per set. That's to strip, sand aka all prep work, the a base coat and I believe like 2-3 coats of whichever powedercoat color u choose. Never heard of it being priced out per pound so I'm not sure on that
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well this is all very interesting?

I just received a quote for $200 - $250 to have the stock IX MR wheels coated in flat black. Wondering if its way cheap or way high?

Hmm...
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Well this is all very interesting?

I just received a quote for $200 - $250 to have the stock IX MR wheels coated in flat black. Wondering if its way cheap or way high?

Hmm...
I was quoted at $320 for all 4 of my BBS wheels, and I had to get the tires removed seperatly also.