Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Cutting Fender Liner

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cutting Fender Liner

Did my 1st autox event on my hoosier tires and had some rubbing with front passenger fender liner where I attempted to roll it.

Can you cut the fender liner with a Dremel tool or do you need something with a little more pep? I'd rather not remove the liner completely since the car is street driven.

*EDIT*

I don't think it was the fender liner so much as the lip of the fender itself. I think the lip of the fender dug into the tire. I did some work on that fender yesterday along with pulling the liner over the lip. Hopefully it will stay in place and prevent any more issues. I'll also swap the tire around to prevent any further degredation.

Last edited by metalsaber; Sep 14, 2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cut mine with a knife pretty easily. A dremel should go through like butter
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I wouldn't remove them either. Just let them wear or you can use a heat gun to push them back.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

raise your car up.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dremel if you got guts, exacto knife if you wanna be cautious, its pretty thin plastic it shouldn't be hard to go through
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awdboosted
I wouldn't remove them either. Just let them wear or you can use a heat gun to push them back.
It's the liner on the top part of the fender towards the outside. It's digging into my 1300 Hoosiers. Felt up in and it feels like there is a sharp edge to it. Probably where it's digging in.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

raise your car up or get better offset wheels.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Ive got a similar issue. Some light fraying of the liner where it used to tuck into the fender. (Running 275's on a +29 17" wheel)

Never have I seen a clean pic of a liner removed. Ive been told there is some serious wiring that runs in the well that needs protection (Passenger side)
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have pics but I've been running without fender liners since spring. For the wiring in the pass side fender I just used zipties and tucked it up to make sure it doesn't get caught on anything. Haven't had any issues running without them. Considering throwing them back on in the winter once I go back to running stock wheels+snowies.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Ive got a similar issue. Some light fraying of the liner where it used to tuck into the fender. (Running 275's on a +29 17" wheel)

Never have I seen a clean pic of a liner removed. Ive been told there is some serious wiring that runs in the well that needs protection (Passenger side)
The spot that it's rubbing at is the outermost section of the fender liner not towards the engine bay. It's rubbing/digging into the outside of the tire sidewall (towards road). There shouldn't be any wiring there, so I should be safe to trim that down.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

I took the liners out of my old 8.
then relocated the harness to the side of the frame rail instead of under it. drilled some holes and zip tied everything in.
downfall to doing it, is one of my 275 hoosiers grabbed the ABS wire and tore it in half.
happened on both left and right wheel wells.
also your side skirts will FILL with rocks and ****. i would recommend finding a way to keep your liners in there.
just speaking from experience.
get a better offset wheel that wont rub, and raise the car to a respectable height, unless you want the "stance" look.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by metalsaber
The spot that it's rubbing at is the outermost section of the fender liner not towards the engine bay. It's rubbing/digging into the outside of the tire sidewall (towards road). There shouldn't be any wiring there, so I should be safe to trim that down.
or run more camber.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by luckybull
or run more camber.
Both fronts are -3degrees camber and only the passenger one is rubbing. What I'm thinking is that when I had my rears rolls. We also attempted to roll the fronts starting with the passenger side but stopped before we went far. I'm thinking a part of the fender liner is now out of whack and a sharp edge is in a position to put a thin groove in the tire.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What Rim size, offset, and size tire are you running?

If you're slammed I would recommend raising the car too.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awdboosted
What Rim size, offset, and size tire are you running?

If you're slammed I would recommend raising the car too.
Not slammed. Running Ohlins R&T Coilovers. ENkie NT03 +27 offset and Hoosier 285-30-18s. Only the right passenger side is doing it. Doesn't look like the liner but more like the inside lip of the fender. I started pulling the lip up so that it was angled towards the top of the fender. It also allowed me to pull some of the plastic fender liner on outside of the inside lip to hopefully prevent further gouging of the tire.

Quick Reply: Cutting Fender Liner