Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

tire rub!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire rub!!!!!!

hey everyone i tried looking this up but it seems no one else has posted this problem but every time i drive my evo mr when i go to make a left turn i hear rubbing and it doesnt have to be a sharp turn, the slightest left curve in the road and my front tires would rub and the whole time i keep thinking to myself thats not good. i noticed that the inner tread of the tire was worn down so i got new tires and i still have the same problem when i turn left, there no rub when i turn right. i looked at the splash guard thinking that was the rub but the tire doesnt come close to it. there the stock bbs 17 inch rims with stock size tires. if someone has had this problem and knows how to fix it please help
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
How do you know your car is stock?

What size tires? OEM springs?

And you have an alignment problem. Get a new alignment or your new tires will be as bad as the ones you replaced.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:38 PM

i did have an alignment done when the tires were mounted. and yes the springs are stock
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

235/45R17 tires used?

Check for blow struts?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:47 PM

ill look tomorrow. this might sound stupid but whats the easiest thing to look for to tell if its blown or not?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:52 PM

the car also only has 35,500 miles on it so if it is blown should i just replace the blown strut or should i do both front or all 4?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Sagging and fluid build-up around piston seal.

Bilstein MRs are rebuildable (if needed). Done in pairs.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Might be a dumb question, but have you removed the wheel and inspected the wheel housing to determine where it is rubbing? Might make diagnosis a little easier. Maybe post up some pictures of the tire too. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:30 PM

well i looked under the car alittle closer and turned the wheel as far as it could go to the left and it doesnt hit anything and theres no leak around the strut. my neighbor (retired mechanic) took a quick look at it and suggested that it might be a wheel bearing. does this sound like it could be a possibility? to be alittle more descriptive on the symptoms when driving the car on the back streets you wouldnt hear anything when im driving fast the noise gets pretty loud. it sounds like a pulsating noise. on the high way when driving if just doing a long lane change the pulsating noise gets faster and louder. also idk if this has anything to do with the problem but if i dont hold the steering wheel straight and just let go it starts costing to the right quite dramatically. i had a wheel alignment done when the tires were mounted and balanced so i dont think its just a wheel alignment. thanks alot guy i really appreciate the help
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If your alignment is good then it could be your tie rods, wheel bearings or any number of things. Try jacking the front of the car up, then grabbing the tire at 9 and 3 (O'clock) and trying to wiggle it left and right. Then grab the 12 and 6 (O'clock) and do the same thing. Do you have any free play in the wheel when wiggling it side to side or up and down?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:56 PM

i have to wait till someone else gets home so i could use another jack, but should there be play or no? and what does it mean if there is or isnt?