Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Star Specs vs. Kumho XS vs. RS-3

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Specs vs. Kumho XS vs. RS-3

I tried searching, but couldn't come up with much (but I'm sure this thread/topic has been beaten to death already).

I know GRM did two comprehensive tests, but the data was moot to me because if I recall, the Star Specs were not the same size as the others tested and weren't the proper tire size for their test Civic.

I also know there is a really in-depth thread on the SCCA forums, but they shave their tires and some of the discussion gets beyond my scope of knowledge.

So what are everyone's opinions? I personally have been tracking the Star Specs with no complaints whatsoever. Just peculiar that they like to be ran at higher PSIs. I have been tracking in 90+ conditions and have not had the need to lower the pressure much. Still scrubin' the polish off and maintains excellent contact patch.

I've been wondering whether I should try the other two, but if it ain't broke.......
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:50 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have owned Z1s and RS-3s, and drove on Khumos. The Khumos are no match to the other two in traction. I would personally rule that out of the selection. As for the Z1 vs. RS-3, its really a tough call. The Z1 has very good traction, and a stiff sidewall that is reflected in sharper steering response. I ran the RS-3 for the first time this past Sunday, and traction is better than the Z1 in my opinion, but the steering isn't as sharp as the Z1. The RS-3 does have a softer compound on, and lower treadwear. Both will be great choices, and it would come down to your needs. Daily driving would probably favor Z1 for the better wear rating. Ultimately traction, I'd prolly favor the RS-3.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
GRM is a joke. Those turkeys suck at doing real reviews. Nor do they have a f'ing clue about tires, brakes...anything.

/aside done.

Z1 Star Specs are the benchmark for all around performance - big working temp range, wet, and dry. RS3 might be faster in all out dry and moderate temps. But its heat window is smaller overall than the Z1*. XS is behind the RS3. Neither XS or RS3 are good as good in the wet.

All are around the same price point. Really comes down to tire your most comfortable with and company you support. Bonus with tracking is you go though tires faster. Wait, not a bonus, expense If you go to RS3 or XS -- eventually will need tires after tracking those.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

I felt the same as chu with the RS3s I drove on. Took FTD car was basically a clone of my suspension/car.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:22 PM
chu
Evolved Member

That's a good point about wet traction, Mr. Mother****er. I have heard the same thing about the RS-3 and wet traction compared to the Z1s. It does come down to how the tires are being used.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

r-s3
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Grip - rs3 > z1 > xs
Wet/cold(er) - z1 > rs3, xs
Response - z1 > rs3 > xs
Life - z1 > rs3, xs
Price -rs3 > xs > z1

Last edited by Boltz.; Sep 28, 2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 03:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive had all three and as stated previously RS3 for grip, Z1 for response, wet grip and long life and XS for nothing! My car would spin XS's cold in 3rd gear and wore out in less than 1000 miles. If I were autocrossing RS3's are my fav, for daily driver/autocross Z1's.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 03:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltz.
Grip - rs3 > z1 > xs
Wet/cold(er) - z1 > rs3, xs
Response - z1 > rs3 > xs
Life - z1 > rs3, xs
Price -rs3 > xs > z1
You forgot to add availability.

RS-3's are very hard to get in a 255/40/17, TireRack runs out in days after getting a shipment. If the OP is running this size its something to consider, if not, then this is a mute point.

I've only ran the Z1's from the tires listed and have been more than happy with them. That being said, Chu beat me in autox on Sunday by .043sec on his fresh RS-3's, but I still like my Dunlops.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 04:55 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
You forgot to add availability.

RS-3's are very hard to get in a 255/40/17, TireRack runs out in days after getting a shipment. If the OP is running this size its something to consider, if not, then this is a mute point.

I've only ran the Z1's from the tires listed and have been more than happy with them. That being said, Chu beat me in autox on Sunday by .043sec on his fresh RS-3's, but I still like my Dunlops.
THis is a very good point. The RS-3 has been very popular, I think mostly due to the price point, so they were on back order for a while. It's definitely soemthing to consider if the OP plans to go through tires very quickly.

Boltz' schematic is superb. RS-3 has the best overall grip, but the Z1 will last longer, has better wet traction, and still great dry traction. Again, can't really go wrong with either.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
With all tire dimensions being equal, is there an actual tire width difference? I recall seeing a thread about certain tires ebing wider than other brands, all within the same performance category & @ the same size??
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:04 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
With all tire dimensions being equal, is there an actual tire width difference? I recall seeing a thread about certain tires ebing wider than other brands, all within the same performance category & @ the same size??
Your assumptions are correct. Based on my experience, the Z1s run much wider than they are advertised to be. The fitment of the Z1s appear wider on my Advans thans the RS-3s. THese are based on visual accounts though, and not measurements.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
^ Thanks.

I recall seeing a post a while back, with tires laying on the ground stacked up, couldnt find that post / thread.

sorry to go off topic a bit...

As i am considering these tires listed in this thread, but due to limited advertised sizes, if the actual sizes / observations are noted by evom members, this may further help all in deciding on which tire suits their respective need.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would leave it alone if you are happy how the Z1's have done. There has been a few complaints of the RS3's chunking a bit if pushed to hard. For some reason not many have bought the XS's as the Z1's tend to be the more popular of the bunch. It's been a great tire that performs well in a variety of conditions. My vote is for them.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
Your assumptions are correct. Based on my experience, the Z1s run much wider than they are advertised to be. The fitment of the Z1s appear wider on my Advans thans the RS-3s. THese are based on visual accounts though, and not measurements.
Difference is tread cavity design appearance. Ex. 255/40R17. That 255 is measured mid-sidewall to mid-sidewall per DOT certification. Some tread cavities narrow up, some are square.

Quick Reply: Star Specs vs. Kumho XS vs. RS-3