Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Winter tire season 2011

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Winter tire season 2011

It was been an unusual pre-season this year with almost no updated tires being released. We are also seeing many more tires and sizes than usual being discontinued or simply not being produced this season. If we have another severe winter like last year this could lead to some early shortages in some sizes.

Popular tires for moderate to low snow climates, that see more plowed roads than highways, tend to be the Blizzak LM60 and Dunlop Winter Sport 3D. Both are considered very equal to each other in snow traction and in dry road handling/cornering and were the tires of choice in this category. The redesigned LM60 moves the balance closer to the snow traction side while the Dunlop does slightly better in dry. Both an ideal choice for someone having trouble deciding between the high performance snow tires that sacrifice a lot of snow traction and the Q/R rated snow tires that trade off too much in handling and dry grip.

Persons living in more rural areas or heavy snow climates lean toward the Blizzak WS-70 or Michelin X-Ice Xi2. I've noticed when driving both that the added tread depth of the Blizzak helps deep snow traction on those early unplowed mornings. The X-Ice is a bit happier on ice surfaces and tends to handle a bit tighter on clear roads due to the 2/32nd's difference in depth compared to the Blizzak.

I would not wait too long, it's better to be proactive than reactive. Ordering early when most products are still available lets you choose what you want to buy rather than being forced to settle for what is left over. Best to be ready with products in hand before it snows so that you can put them on when you are ready rather than waiting for a shipment to arrive after the first snow. We should have most inventory available now to mid Oct. Tires and wheels purchased together are mounted and balanced at no charge to make changeover easy and we do offer the oem pressure sensors.

You can view full winter tire and wheel packages here Tire Rack Winter Packages

Remember to mention "Neal ext 624" in the comments section of your online order. This way I can review the order and process it faster. As always you may call me direct as well

Last edited by Neal@tirerack; Oct 5, 2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked the LM25 Blizzak as opposed to their new LM60's.

I snagged up a set of LM25V's prior to them being taken off the shelf last year. If I had to now, I would go with the Dunlop.

In snow though, any of them will be better than any all season will.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:00 AM

Any word of getting the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D to the US?

- Sandro
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by revvin9k
I liked the LM25 Blizzak as opposed to their new LM60's.

I snagged up a set of LM25V's prior to them being taken off the shelf last year. If I had to now, I would go with the Dunlop.

In snow though, any of them will be better than any all season will.
Will be trying these out as well this season. The reviews are amazing, looking forward to trying them out
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sandro
Any word of getting the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D to the US?

- Sandro
No word of those hitting the U.S. this winter season.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

just test fit my winter setup for my wrx from tirerack. (evo hibernates) 205/60R16 ws70's on 16x6.5 steelies with their black wheel covers. stance nation should be knocking at my door any second.....

Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neal,
What's the minimum tread depth that you recommend to be used on winter tires? I've had the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's for about 4 seasons now (Stock size), and they're getting to that point where I'm not sure if they are still recommended to be used. I think they'll work, this being their last season... but not necessarily optimum. What's your recommendation?

Thanks.

-Jalal
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:45 AM
Former Sponsor

We recommend, if only seeing wet conditions, consider replacing your tires when they reach 4/32" of remaining tread depth. If you are expecting to drive in snow covered roads we recommend replacing the tires when they reach approximately 6/32" to maintain good mobility.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Neal i use the stock wheels on my car for winter use (235/45/17) are there optional winter tires sizes that would work on the stock wheel (skinnier tire for additional traction?)
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

what about the ws-60 blizzak? im not looking to drop too much dough
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They are fine. Used to drive them all last winter. It's a pity I'm on wide rims now and cannot keep 235 set (( Now looking for something new, something recent and no luck so far ((

Originally Posted by WWGSR11
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by zeus1
Neal i use the stock wheels on my car for winter use (235/45/17) are there optional winter tires sizes that would work on the stock wheel (skinnier tire for additional traction?)
Not that I've found.

Originally Posted by WWGSR11
Still a good tire, just a previous generation.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Any idea if the continental ExtremeWinterContact will get the $40 gift card back anytime soon? I missed it by days when I finally decided to order

Looking 205/60/15, obviously not evo size.. GVR4 stuff.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Unfortunately I don't see another coming soon.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

anyone that is going to get snow tires, i recommend ordering them asap. they do run out! i had a snow get damaged over a huge pot hole in late december and i couldnt get a replacement anywhere!

Quick Reply: Winter tire season 2011