Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

BR is conducting a suspension test and looking for input

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
03whitegsr, I was going to quote all of that and thank you but figured it was long enough to save the space Thanks for your insight on the subject and I agree with you. I've done hours and hours and hours of reading over the last few weeks. I have pages of notes on my desk. I wanted to get one thread together to try and bring it all into one place to get an idea.

It seems there are guys with $1500 and below coil overs and then the next group jump to about $3000 and up from there. Ohlins look like they are about the most popular.

Curt Brown had the N1's I sold him on the car, he only ran them for a few weeks and the next time I saw him he had the Ohlins. He told me he switched because of the difference in ride quality. I drove or road in, can't remember which, his car and personally by just riding in it couldn't tell a difference from them to my N1's. My car is even better now with the Swift springs.

I am reconsidering the way I wanted to perform this test already, mostly based on the feedback in this thread and the hundreds of posts I have read. The MAJORITY of guys on these forums are running a dual purpose car, with a reasonable amount of camber, street tires etc. I don't intend to run slicks on the EVO for autocross. This testing is to fix my own curiosity mostly and share what I learn.

I may end up just ordering a set of higher end coil overs to do the test on. What I'd really like is to see a dealer who is confident enough in a product send me a set and then benefit from the sales afterwards but I don't see that happening.

Turbo testing tomorrow and I'm waiting to arrange all this, hopefully I can get everything done soon....
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Honestly for pure performance on most tracks with a decent surface I don't think you will see a big difference between $3k and $1.5k coilovers. This car just set the track record at the track local to me:

It runs tein super streets but with HEAVY springs. It outperformed all the other unlimited class cars running anything from HSD to AST/ohlins/etc. IMO it did this because the track is relatively smooth save for a few mid corner bumps on the last turn (ripped out my fender liner ).

The reason why I personally run ohlins is not just because of track performance. Its because I get the track performance PLUS excellent street damping. Even with 8k/10k springs it rides better in most situations than my stock bilsteins. And I'm sure if I threw pillow ball top hats on the bilsteins then the ohlins would outperform it in every category except price. If all I cared about was track times I would've bought JICs.

Although, I've never autocrossed, I'm strictly road course. So I might be missing something as far as that form of motorsports goes.

EDIT: Former track record holder, as of 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by deeman101; Oct 16, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
WHAT SUSPENSION IS CURRENTLY ON YOUR EVO?

AST 4100

WHAT PRICE DID YOU PAY FOR YOUR SUSPENSION?

$2000 with swift springs/helpers

ARE YOU GOING TO RUN THE STANDARD SPRINGS RATES THAT COME ON THE COIL OVERS YOU INTEND TO BUY OR SOMETHING CUSTOM?

I'm currently running 10kg/11kg

IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN A CUSTOM SPRING RATE WILL YOU BE PAYING TO HAVE THE COIL OVERS RE-VALVED?

No

WHAT ALIGNMENT SETTINGS DO YOU RUN/PLAN TO RUN AND DOES IT CHANGE FROM THE TRACK TO THE STREET?

Same for the street/track. -2.75 front, -1.5 rear, 0 toe all the way around.

WHAT SIZE TIRE WILL YOU BEING COMPETING ON?

255/40/17

WHAT TYPE OF TIRE WILL YOU RUN MOSTLY?

140 Hankook RS-3
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
WHAT SUSPENSION IS CURRENTLY ON YOUR EVO? KW Variant 3

WHAT PRICE DID YOU PAY FOR YOUR SUSPENSION? $800 used from a friend, plus $300 for springs

IF YOU HAVEN'T BOUGHT A SUSPENSION YET WHAT PRICE RANGE ARE YOU LOOKING AT? 0-$500. $500-$1000. $1000-$2000. $2000+. If I buy anything new, it'll probably be $5k+ (AST 5300 or similar)

ARE YOU GOING TO RUN THE STANDARD SPRINGS RATES THAT COME ON THE COIL OVERS YOU INTEND TO BUY OR SOMETHING CUSTOM? Currently custom (12kg/16kg), will likely go to 800lb/1000lb (~14kg/18kg) for next season.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN A CUSTOM SPRING RATE WILL YOU BE PAYING TO HAVE THE COIL OVERS RE-VALVED? Planning to have them revalved by Robi this winter

WHAT ALIGNMENT SETTINGS DO YOU RUN/PLAN TO RUN AND DOES IT CHANGE FROM THE TRACK TO THE STREET? Camber: ~4 degrees negative front, ~2.5 degrees negative rear. Toe: 1/4" out front, 0 rear Caster: ~5 degrees front

WHAT SIZE TIRE WILL YOU BEING COMPETING ON? 285/30/18

WHAT TYPE OF TIRE WILL YOU RUN MOSTLY? DOT-R... Hoosier A6 (285/30/18) and Hankook c91 (275/35/18)

Last edited by RJones; Oct 16, 2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

deeman101, is that your EVO in the picture? I don't like a lot of "race" EVO's but man that car is hot! I am confused though. The car in the picture is the track record holder and did it on Tein's with heavy springs and YOUR car is a different car that runs Ohlins? Very nice looking car, pictured.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Alright you suspension guru's. Only answer this if you are 100% sure of the answer.

Going to a race tire on the EVO requires a heavier spring. Let me use two examples:

A6, 255 or under, car and driver 3000-3300 pounds, what front/rear spring and camber does it need?

A6, 265+, car and driver 3000 or under, what front rear/spring and camber does it need?

Yeah, I know there are variables, just give me a ball park, from the guys in the know.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur
deeman101, is that your EVO in the picture? I don't like a lot of "race" EVO's but man that car is hot! I am confused though. The car in the picture is the track record holder and did it on Tein's with heavy springs and YOUR car is a different car that runs Ohlins? Very nice looking car, pictured.
LOL! No thats not my car. Its a full on time attack car built by a shop called Advance Power House in Toronto, Canada. Its ECU is worth more than my entire suspension . They have more pics: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...hotoshoot.html

My car is a daily driver that does weekend stock-tire class time attack in the same series.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanted to add that camber depends on application. Auto-x guys run a lot more than road course guys....
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Oe bilstein + swift spec r.

Purchased by previous owner of car (rs)

IF YOU HAVEN'T BOUGHT A SUSPENSION YET WHAT PRICE RANGE ARE YOU LOOKING AT? 0-$500. $500-$1000. $1000-$2000. $2000+.

500-1000 consider bilstein hd 2.

ARE YOU GOING TO RUN THE STANDARD SPRINGS RATES THAT COME ON THE COIL OVERS YOU INTEND TO BUY OR SOMETHING CUSTOM?

Swift spec r strut springs

IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN A CUSTOM SPRING RATE WILL YOU BE PAYING TO HAVE THE COIL OVERS RE-VALVED?

No.

WHAT ALIGNMENT SETTINGS DO YOU RUN/PLAN TO RUN AND DOES IT CHANGE FROM THE TRACK TO THE

~ -1.8 f zeroish in the rear, whatever is decent for tire wear .

255/40 star specs

1. Street tire tread wear 139 and under.
2. Street tire tread wear 140 or over.
3. DOT race tire, like A6, C51 etc.
4. Full race tire.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltz.
Wanted to add that camber depends on application. Auto-x guys run a lot more than road course guys....
This is very true. For example, look at my setup vs. someone who does more track
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur
Alright you suspension guru's. Only answer this if you are 100% sure of the answer.

Going to a race tire on the EVO requires a heavier spring. Let me use two examples:

A6, 255 or under, car and driver 3000-3300 pounds, what front/rear spring and camber does it need?

A6, 265+, car and driver 3000 or under, what front rear/spring and camber does it need?

Yeah, I know there are variables, just give me a ball park, from the guys in the know.
I will answer for the first one My personal car is an RS that Weighs just under 3300 with me in it. I used a spring rate of 12k front 14k rear with a hotchkis RSB set on mid or soft for most outings. and used to run a 255-265 race tire very similar to the A6

I decided on those springs after extensive research for race tire evos aimed at medium\high speed events.

My car is driven to and from the track so i run 2.4~ front 1.5~ zero toe . We have our own alignment machine and have tried MANY different settings this seems to be a happy medium for doing it all.

Right around 2.7 front camber we really started to see tire wear and straight line braking and acceleration being affected.

This weekend the car broke the track record by a full second at Blackhawk farms High speed Autox for Street tires , It was the fastest street tire car ever in their long history. What confuses me about this is those spring rates seem quite high for a narrow (245) street tire????
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WHAT SUSPENSION IS CURRENTLY ON YOUR EVO? BC ER

WHAT PRICE DID YOU PAY FOR YOUR SUSPENSION? $15xx New With the custom spring rate of 12k\14k

IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN A CUSTOM SPRING RATE WILL YOU BE PAYING TO HAVE THE COIL OVERS RE-VALVED? Yes my shocks were revalved at no charge by the manufacturer

WHAT ALIGNMENT SETTINGS DO YOU RUN/PLAN TO RUN AND DOES IT CHANGE FROM THE TRACK TO THE STREET? 2.2-2.6 negative front 1.3-.1.6 negative rear

WHAT SIZE TIRE WILL YOU BEING COMPETING ON? 245-275

1. Street tire tread wear 139 and under.
2. Street tire tread wear 140 or over.
3. DOT race tire, like A6, C51 etc.
4. Full race tire.
Used to run DOT or full race tire only
Next season it will be primarily street tires Star specs or RS3 ECT. And Nt01s at times
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bilstien PSS9

1800$

standard

no

WHAT ALIGNMENT SETTINGS DO YOU RUN/PLAN TO RUN AND DOES IT CHANGE FROM THE TRACK TO THE STREET?

stock alignment

255/40/17

Dunlop star spec
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ohlins DFV

$3000

Custom

Swift 8k F&R

-2.5 F, -1.5 R, 0, 0 toe

255/40/17

Continental Extreme Contact DW
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you looking to test different coil overs? or just a select few? I'm interested to see the results.

Quick Reply: BR is conducting a suspension test and looking for input