Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

BR is conducting a suspension test and looking for input

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
BR is conducting a suspension test and looking for input

Alright guys, my mind is stuck on suspension and this is really the first time. Briefly, I started road racing, I got more and more involved, found out I do pretty good at it. Then I started looking at other people's set-ups and changed my own from cheap stuff to good stuff. Through all of this, like everything, I had my opinions, thoughts and doubts. Now I want to do some testing just like I have for making power for so long.

I'm wanted to post a poll but now realize it's not going to work. So, below are the questions I'd like to have you guys answer.

The suspension questions are for the shocks/springs ONLY. Cut and paste the questions below and fill in your answers, please:

WHAT SUSPENSION IS CURRENTLY ON YOUR EVO?

WHAT PRICE DID YOU PAY FOR YOUR SUSPENSION?

IF YOU HAVEN'T BOUGHT A SUSPENSION YET WHAT PRICE RANGE ARE YOU LOOKING AT? 0-$500. $500-$1000. $1000-$2000. $2000+.

ARE YOU GOING TO RUN THE STANDARD SPRINGS RATES THAT COME ON THE COIL OVERS YOU INTEND TO BUY OR SOMETHING CUSTOM?

IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN A CUSTOM SPRING RATE WILL YOU BE PAYING TO HAVE THE COIL OVERS RE-VALVED?

WHAT ALIGNMENT SETTINGS DO YOU RUN/PLAN TO RUN AND DOES IT CHANGE FROM THE TRACK TO THE STREET?

WHAT SIZE TIRE WILL YOU BEING COMPETING ON?

WHAT TYPE OF TIRE WILL YOU RUN MOSTLY?
1. Street tire tread wear 139 and under.
2. Street tire tread wear 140 or over.
3. DOT race tire, like A6, C51 etc.
4. Full race tire.

Thank you very much. I will start this show.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Apexi N1

$1125 plus $400 for upgraded Swift springs.

IF YOU HAVEN'T BOUGHT A SUSPENSION YET WHAT PRICE RANGE ARE YOU LOOKING AT? 0-$500. $500-$1000. $1000-$2000. $2000+.

ARE YOU GOING TO RUN THE STANDARD SPRINGS RATES THAT COME ON THE COIL OVERS YOU INTEND TO BUY OR SOMETHING CUSTOM?

Custom.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN A CUSTOM SPRING RATE WILL YOU BE PAYING TO HAVE THE COIL OVERS RE-VALVED?

No.

WHAT ALIGNMENT SETTINGS DO YOU RUN/PLAN TO RUN AND DOES IT CHANGE FROM THE TRACK TO THE STREET?

Same for the street/track. -1.8, 0 toe front. 0 toe/0 camber rear

265/40/17

140+

4. Full race tire.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MR Bilsteins Swift Spec-R's (Currently replacing rears with Bilstein HD due to blowing the rear out)

$400 for springs + $250 for HD rears

IF YOU HAVEN'T BOUGHT A SUSPENSION YET WHAT PRICE RANGE ARE YOU LOOKING AT?

Still looking to upgrade to Ohlins R/T $3000 + cost of springs

10K F (stock spring) / 12 K R (custom spring)

No revalve until I need it.

-2 Camber Front / -1.5 Camber rear Toe zeroed out front and back

255/35/18

Hankook RS3

Last edited by JDMevoBOOST; Oct 17, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Ohlins R/T

$3k

Stock spring rates reversed (8k front / 10k rear). Planning to switch to 10 front / 12k rear next season.

No. Ohlins valving is good for a wide range of springs.

-2.5 front, -1.5 rear, 0 toe all around. No change to street, just cheaper tires.

255/40/17

Hankook rs3 (140 treadwear)
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Stock 06 GSR suspension

N/A

$1000-$2000

Standard

No

-2 or less camber 0 Toe up front. -1 or less camber and 0 teo rear.

255/40/17

Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

I'd like to see your input R/T, if you wanna add it.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WHAT SUSPENSION IS CURRENTLY ON YOUR EVO? oem kyb struts w/ Robispec springs

WHAT PRICE DID YOU PAY FOR YOUR SUSPENSION? ~$200 for Robispec springs

IF YOU HAVEN'T BOUGHT A SUSPENSION YET WHAT PRICE RANGE ARE YOU LOOKING AT? n/a

I will run custom or whatever is recommended with my current setup.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN A CUSTOM SPRING RATE WILL YOU BE PAYING TO HAVE THE COIL OVERS RE-VALVED? If need be.

WHAT ALIGNMENT SETTINGS DO YOU RUN/PLAN TO RUN AND DOES IT CHANGE FROM THE TRACK TO THE STREET? currently -2.0 fr camber, -1.0 rear camber, toe zeroed out. mostly track car. does not change for the few street miles it gets driven.

WHAT SIZE TIRE WILL YOU BEING COMPETING ON? 255/35/18 currently on car

fwiw its great to see David Buschur starting to focus more on autox/ road racing stuff
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:45 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts

I have two suspension. Winter and Summer. Winter is Bilsteins with GTworx springs.

Summer is AMR coilovers.

Coilover's were $1200 used. Springs have changed many times testing different setups.

IF YOU HAVEN'T BOUGHT A SUSPENSION YET WHAT PRICE RANGE ARE YOU LOOKING AT?

Will probably upgrade to AST 5100's in the future, so ~3k.

Custom rates. Also Ill have a set of tenders to play with increasing droop and spring preload vs travel.

I hope to win the revalving costs (national tour and prosolo wins).

Winter: -1.5front/-1rear, 0 Toe.

Summer: -3.5front/-1.5 rear, 0 Toe on the street, +.25 on course.

285/295

4. Full race tire.

DOT Race, Kumho for local trash course, Hooser for Packwood (bigger/better course)
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT SUSPENSION IS CURRENTLY ON YOUR EVO? KW V3 Robi Spec

WHAT PRICE DID YOU PAY FOR YOUR SUSPENSION? used $1000

IF YOU HAVEN'T BOUGHT A SUSPENSION YET WHAT PRICE RANGE ARE YOU LOOKING AT? 0-$500. $500-$1000. $1000-$2000. $2000+. n/a

ARE YOU GOING TO RUN THE STANDARD SPRINGS RATES THAT COME ON THE COIL OVERS YOU INTEND TO BUY OR SOMETHING CUSTOM? standard

IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN A CUSTOM SPRING RATE WILL YOU BE PAYING TO HAVE THE COIL OVERS RE-VALVED? robi spec valved

WHAT ALIGNMENT SETTINGS DO YOU RUN/PLAN TO RUN AND DOES IT CHANGE FROM THE TRACK TO THE STREET? -2* camber up and 0 toe front / -1* camber and 0 toe rear

WHAT SIZE TIRE WILL YOU BEING COMPETING ON? 255/40/17

WHAT TYPE OF TIRE WILL YOU RUN MOSTLY? Hankook RS3 140 treadwear for now but will be looking into a R compound or full slick next year
4. Full race tire.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AST 4100
N/A
Custom 11kF / 12kR
No. If I go any higher I will need to though
Street and track F -2.5 R -1.5 zero toe all corners
255/40/17. Might be going to a 275/30/18
4. Full race tire.
currently Star Specs. Want to pick up A6s
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
2 comments:

1) Shouldn't this be in the suspension section?
2) This doesn't seem like much of a test. Looks like market research more so than anything.

That being said:

Bilstein PSS9

$1800

ARE YOU GOING TO RUN THE STANDARD SPRINGS RATES THAT COME ON THE COIL OVERS YOU
INTEND TO BUY OR SOMETHING CUSTOM?

Standard for now. Will go custom long term

If it requires it then yes

Front: -2 camber, 0 toe. Rear: -1 camber, 0.01 toe in. Same on street

255s

Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

As for the statement about market research, that is not the case. The reason I asked the questions I did I am trying to put together what we need to test. What I mean is, what is the most relevant tests to perform. We will have one day to do everything we can and want good data. It's getting late in the year and I'd like to get this done. For example, already from the answers I can see the alignment specs most guys are running are similar to mine and don't change. That tells me most guys are interested in something that isn't going to destroy their tires driving daily. This also tells me trying to get -4 degrees of front camber isn't going to appeal to the masses, which helps a ton.

For those of you adding information, thank you very much.

Mods, I was trying to get the most answers possible. If any of you feel moving it to the suspension section or motorsports section is best, please do so.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:43 PM
Account Disabled

WHAT SUSPENSION IS CURRENTLY ON YOUR EVO? MR Bilsteins with Swift Spec-Rs

WHAT PRICE DID YOU PAY FOR YOUR SUSPENSION? Bartered for Bilsteins, Swifts were around $250

IF YOU HAVEN'T BOUGHT A SUSPENSION YET WHAT PRICE RANGE ARE YOU LOOKING AT? 0-$500. $500-$1000. $1000-$2000. $2000+. N/A

ARE YOU GOING TO RUN THE STANDARD SPRINGS RATES THAT COME ON THE COIL OVERS YOU INTEND TO BUY OR SOMETHING CUSTOM? Actually running the GSR (KYB) version Swifts on the Bilsteins so I guess that they are custom LOL

IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN A CUSTOM SPRING RATE WILL YOU BE PAYING TO HAVE THE COIL OVERS RE-VALVED? Thought about sending the Bilsteins in for revalving...

WHAT ALIGNMENT SETTINGS DO YOU RUN/PLAN TO RUN AND DOES IT CHANGE FROM THE TRACK TO THE STREET? 1.7 front 0.8 rear toe zero'd out same for street use

WHAT SIZE TIRE WILL YOU BEING COMPETING ON? 255/35/18

WHAT TYPE OF TIRE WILL YOU RUN MOSTLY? Federal 595RSR
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
PIC Select R2 w/custom rates and custom valving

$1200

If I change, I'm looking at $2000+

Custom (current and future)

Yes (current and future)

Street
camber: -2.5f/-1.5r
Caster: 5f
toe: 0f/0r

Track
Camber: -3.5f/-1.5r
Caster: 7f
toe: undetermined, but likely toe out front and rear

275/35/18

FWIW, -2.5* up front was NO WHERE near enough camber on the R-comps. I was only getting heat in the outer 1/3 of the tire. -4 degrees on the other hand GREATLY improved grip. And 0 rear camber? That's probably why your car feels so loose, you are giving up a ton of rear grip with 0 rear camber. Sure it's tail happy, but would more rear grip actually make the car faster...

If you really want to test things out, start looking at overall geometry. Something like a roll correction kit, but something that actually works on a heavily lowered car. The 1/4" arm drop you get with the Whitelines is a marginal change. I'm talking 1.5" arm drop and adjustable bumpsteer with a couple degrees extra caster.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Oct 14, 2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur
As for the statement about market research, that is not the case. The reason I asked the questions I did I am trying to put together what we need to test. What I mean is, what is the most relevant tests to perform. We will have one day to do everything we can and want good data. It's getting late in the year and I'd like to get this done. For example, already from the answers I can see the alignment specs most guys are running are similar to mine and don't change. That tells me most guys are interested in something that isn't going to destroy their tires driving daily. This also tells me trying to get -4 degrees of front camber isn't going to appeal to the masses, which helps a ton.

For those of you adding information, thank you very much.

Mods, I was trying to get the most answers possible. If any of you feel moving it to the suspension section or motorsports section is best, please do so.
If you're gonna throw together a big test, I would humbly suggest including the gtworx (or swift spec r) springs with bilstein struts (a very popular choice and what I'm running), AST4100 (what boomn929 ran this season and had incredible success with in NASA TTA - broke many records), one expensive one, ohlins dfv or r/t, one SUPER expensive one (i dont even know), and one with the "incorrect" spring rates (more spring in the front, ie 10/8) to see how it compares to a similar set up with the appropriately adjusted rear spring rate (something about how the spring rate doesn't transfer linearly).

Of these, what I want to do is upgrade from my gtworx setup to the ohlins dfv - reason being that they can do what the ast4100s can on the track while riding like the gtworx setup does on the street.

If it's just a ***** out speed test I'm sure most of the coilover setups will be a wash. For both track AND livability (and my back) I want the Ohlins. The setup for my car I consider to be fairly mild.

GTWorx Springs and Bilstein HD Struts

~$1k

I believe the GTWorx springs are roughly 5k/6k, and are progressive springs

No.

-2 front, -1.5 rear, 0 toe. No change.

235/45/17

Roughly 140+ treadwear

Last edited by kyoo; Oct 15, 2011 at 12:02 AM.

Quick Reply: BR is conducting a suspension test and looking for input