Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

snow tires

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MJ23FE
Regarding the General Tire Altimax Arctic, is anyone concerned about the speed rating? They are Q rated which is 99mph. Is anyone concerned about driving them on the highway during the winter months when it's completely dry at sustained speeds of 80-85mph?

-Jalal
Speed rating is speed rating, dont worry about it.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
Speed rating is speed rating, dont worry about it.
Ummm.... if I drive an Evo, I'm definitely worrying about it! With a max speed rating of 99mph, you can top out 3rd gear and be close to exceeding your tires recommended top speed! Have you even been in car that's reached that point? NO BUENO!!!!

-Jalal
Old Nov 9, 2011, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Ummm.... if I drive an Evo, I'm definitely worrying about it! With a max speed rating of 99mph, you can top out 3rd gear and be close to exceeding your tires recommended top speed! Have you even been in car that's reached that point? NO BUENO!!!!

-Jalal
speed rating isnt the tires top speed, its the sustained speed it can handle. so unless you plan on maintaining over 100 mph for over 10 minutes strait, its not a concern.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

I've made both my Toyo T1R's and my Winter Sport 3D's scream because of the speed I was at and had to quickly slow down to make them stop. Each time the speed was not sustained for more than 5 seconds, and there's no way I wanted to take them any further. Obviously it was different speeds for each tire, but it's not very comforting regardless.

To me, the speed rating is important and is there for a reason! A tire with a Q rating is not made the same as a tire with a V rating, so on and so forth.

-Jalal

Last edited by MJ23FE; Nov 11, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

I've made both my Toyo T1R's and my Winter Sport 3D's scream because of the speed I was at and had to quickly slow down to make them stop. Each time the speed was not sustained for more than 5 seconds, and there's no way I wanted to take them any further. Obviously it was different speeds for each tire, but it's not very comforting regardless.

To me, the speed rating is important and is there for a reason! A tire with a Q rating is not made the same as a tire with a V rating, so on and so fourth.

-Jalal
what do you mean by scream? i guess if you are that worried about it, then get some v rated dunlop 3d's.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

what do you mean by scream? i guess if you are that worried about it, then get some v rated dunlop 3d's.
You get to a certain speed and the tires start to scream/squeal. A very high pitched sound that goes right away the second you slow down a bit.

Here in NJ we def get a good amount of snow, but unless it's a BAD storm, the streets are plowed in a day or so and you're back on asphalt for the most part. However, for the times I am stuck in snow, I want them to work and save my butt. I've had an amazing exeprience with my Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's over the past 3 seasons, but I'm just checking to seew hat else is out there since this is probably the last season I'll be on them. I also had to ride on them during the summer because I blew out two summer tires and they were great considering they are a winter tire! Good to know they can handle emergency duty without issue.

-Jalal
Old Nov 9, 2011, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

3d's are more like an all season thats awesome in snow. i ran a set on my old subaru and drove on them year round, they wore great! they also handled better than the conti dws's that i replaced them with. that being said, they do give up some ice and snow traction compared to the "real" snows. but the "real" snows handle like ***. the xice x2i and extremewinter contact supposedly handle pretty good though. i have ws70's waiting to go on and i already know handling is going to be diabolical. snow traction should be awesome though.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

3d's are more like an all season thats awesome in snow. i ran a set on my old subaru and drove on them year round, they wore great! they also handled better than the conti dws's that i replaced them with. that being said, they do give up some ice and snow traction compared to the "real" snows. but the "real" snows handle like ***. the xice x2i and extremewinter contact supposedly handle pretty good though. i have ws70's waiting to go on and i already know handling is going to be diabolical. snow traction should be awesome though.
Yeah, I had no qualms about them at all when I had to use them in the summer. Surprised me very much. However, their winter grip was fantastic. And I am talking about snow, slush, ice, whatever I had to drive through, they gripped and I was good! No matter how deep or soft or icey or whatever.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9267835@N03/5297983974/http://www.flickr.com/photos/9267835@N03/5297983974/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/9267835@N03/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9267835@N03/5297386461/http://www.flickr.com/photos/9267835@N03/5297386461/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/9267835@N03/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9267835@N03/5307328535/http://www.flickr.com/photos/9267835@N03/5307328535/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/9267835@N03/, on Flickr

-Jalal
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i have the same tires ^^^^^ they work well
Old Nov 9, 2011, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Epic pic man. God I wish I had a white IX.... LOL
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by b16a2delsol
Triangles snow lion, 3rd season, 100 doughnuts , and I have been 145mph on them lol (rated for 148mph holla)
You sure sound like you're trying to win the Darwin award here for stupidity.

Please tell me you have not and are not planning to reproduce.

Chinese tire - ding one.
Donuts - ding two.
Going 145 on the street - full retard.

Congratulations, you've gone full retard. Never go full retard.

Last edited by Smike; Nov 10, 2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Smike
You sure sound like you're trying to win the Darwin award here for stupidity.

Please tell me you have not and are not planning to reproduce.

Chinese tire - ding one.
Donuts - ding two.
Going 145 on the street - full retard.

Congratulations, you've gone full retard. Never go full retard.
Never said I was on the street did I?

Most of the **** in your house what made in china. These tires are awesome.

And you have never done doughnuts ever? Well obviously not in your "race-car".

Keep making thousands of posts, then more douches like yourself will think you're cool bro!!
Old Nov 10, 2011, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Yep NOBODY on these forms has done anything illegal on the streets, especially gone over the speed limit . You can cry about integrity of the tires all you want but the fact is they are rated for a specific rate of speed and they have served their purpose quit well, Chinese or not.

And in all reality a quick sprint to 100+ on a 6-7 lane highway is hardly dangerous with no traffic. Thousands of people die everyday because of traffic accidents where no one was going over the speed limit. So it must be incredibly dumb to drive a car period.....

If you can prove the statistic stating how many accidents and deaths are caused each year from high speed driving ( 130-150mph) on 6-7 lane highways with Evolutions on snow tires I would love to see it. Not saying that I have done this frequently or think its safe to do because you have an awd car. Just saying..( kinda contradicted myself but whatevs lol)

And since when do you give a **** about other peoples safety?

But you can keep coming up with more cliche insults and being troll. I don't care. I have never been in a wreck, I rarely speed, I do have fun on occasion ( yes troll 90% of the time at MMP in utah).

I'm sure you don't have a single product from china .
Pretty sure my ***** pump was made in china...

... yep. It was.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Yep NOBODY on these forms has done anything illegal on the streets, especially gone over the speed limit . You can cry about integrity of the tires all you want but the fact is they are rated for a specific rate of speed and they have served their purpose quit well, Chinese or not.

And in all reality a quick sprint to 100+ on a 6-7 lane highway is hardly dangerous with no traffic. Thousands of people die everyday because of traffic accidents where no one was going over the speed limit. So it must be incredibly dumb to drive a car period.....

If you can prove the statistic stating how many accidents and deaths are caused each year from high speed driving ( 130-150mph) on 6-7 lane highways with Evolutions on snow tires I would love to see it. Not saying that I have done this frequently or think its safe to do because you have an awd car. Just saying..( kinda contradicted myself but whatevs lol)

And since when do you give a **** about other peoples safety?

But you can keep coming up with more cliche insults and being troll. I don't care. I have never been in a wreck, I rarely speed, I do have fun on occasion ( yes troll 90% of the time at MMP in utah).

I'm sure you don't have a single product from china .
Cliche? How's this one: I've got 99 problems and you are not one.

Troll, eh? Go read some of the stickies at in this forum. You're in my home turf here kido.

Quick Reply: snow tires