Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

snow tires

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2011, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snow tires

I have an 05' Evo MR that I take up to the snow quite a bit. My current tire is the continental extreme DWS 245/40/R17. I feel like they just don't grip enough. Are there any others that would possibly catch traction better than these tires in the snow??
Old Nov 1, 2011, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

I'm running the same setup as you. I have had no problems when heading up to Tahoe. Is your "S" worn down yet? The other tire that you might want to look into are the Blizzaks.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 11:38 PM

Definitely get the blizzaks. I love them. Im running them up to Stevens Pass this winter.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

You want narrower tires in the snow so the pressure on the tire lugs is higher, so they'll dig down and bite better. Try running 225s instead of 245s.

I haven't driven on the Conti's, but have used the Blizzak WS60 and WS70 up at the Bridgestone Winter Driving School where I teach (in the interest of full disclosure). Bridgestone's actually have tread that's a bit narrow for the size, so if you try a Blizzak, getting the 235 size would likely work just fine.

Just remember the softer the snow tire you opt for, the better the snow and ice traction, but the more you'll need to resist the temptation to drive hard on dry pavement.

Dave
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
DWS are high performance all-seasons. Meant to see just that. Not fully dedicated for snow use (they leave some traction on the table there). If you find yourself without traction, then you are likely pushing the car too hard for the conditions.

Agree with Dave. If you use snow tires, the compounds used and construction of the tires/tread design are made to grip the snow/ice. You trade some dry use. They also do not respond well to temperatures over 55F. Really are meant for freezing conditions.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I love my blizzaks. I had ws-50s. Now I have ws-60s for this year. Only bad thing about them is it makes it very difficult to do donuts because they grip so good.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the Conti Extreme Winter Contacts....

IMHO, I would love to go back to my Blizzacks
Old Nov 2, 2011, 05:42 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blizzacks are definitely great tires. There are two lines though, the WS and LM. I prefer the WS for deep snow traction over the LM, which seem to have consideration for performance. I don't drive hard in the winter in bad weather, so no need for the performance imo.

I've also used the General Tires Altimax Artics. Great snow tires imo. I've been through one season of northeast winter, with the heavy snow here in Philadelphia. These tires were great and had deep snow alot of traction. Drove through 20 inches with ease.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To the OP, the real question you need to ask yourself is are you willing to go to a dedicated snow tire for the winter months?

The tires you have are probably the best all-season performance tires out there with decent snow capability, provided you have adequate tread depth.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Blizzack's ftw. Pricey but worth it. I love my LM-60's
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Right, before everyone goes down the rabbit trail on how tire X is so much better than Y...

There are dozens of snow tires out there. Most are great in the snow as well.

OP -- how often are you in the snow? grillpt has it right.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
I love my blizzaks. I had ws-50s. Now I have ws-60s for this year. Only bad thing about them is it makes it very difficult to do donuts because they grip so good.
lol haha well thats exactly what i wanted to hear about a tire. that kind of traction will keep me out of trouble. thanks
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by FedEvo8
I'm running the same setup as you. I have had no problems when heading up to Tahoe. Is your "S" worn down yet? The other tire that you might want to look into are the Blizzaks.
the "S" is worn down on my rear tires. i forgot to rotate them a while back so they got the most wear & tear being the front wheels. but im really liking the sound of these blizzak's. im going to look into those tires!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by DaveK
You want narrower tires in the snow so the pressure on the tire lugs is higher, so they'll dig down and bite better. Try running 225s instead of 245s.

I haven't driven on the Conti's, but have used the Blizzak WS60 and WS70 up at the Bridgestone Winter Driving School where I teach (in the interest of full disclosure). Bridgestone's actually have tread that's a bit narrow for the size, so if you try a Blizzak, getting the 235 size would likely work just fine.

Just remember the softer the snow tire you opt for, the better the snow and ice traction, but the more you'll need to resist the temptation to drive hard on dry pavement.

Dave
you mean like stretch the tires?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

235 was OEM.
225 is a common snow fitment on the OEM rims.

Quick Reply: snow tires