Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

KW Variant 3 vs Fortune Auto vs Blistein/Swift

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
Any proof to this? I mean right on their website, it says "assembled in the USA". Not trying to start a war but it's just crazy how you're claiming it's not assembled in the USA when on their website, it says it is. They could get into a lot of trouble if someone found out it wasn't assembled here and get sued for falsely claiming it wasn't assembled here.
http://www.fortune-auto.net/fortuned...ughtseries.htm
Right on top "Assembled in the USA".
They are assembled here because all orders are custom rates and and preference on valving, plus I have seen pictures of the shop and the assembly room is filled with parts. The argument really isn't about who assembled them but what they are made out of. Last time we spoke Fortune auto were still in the works of the dreadnought series and they made it sound like they were engineering them just with outsourced parts. I was gonna upgrade until they told me I wasn't ready for them :roll eyes: ........ I think I am one of three people who actually track their product, drifters not included, they don't count.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RevMoto
His car has the potential to get more use out of coil overs than a track car.
That's got to be one off the dumbest things I've ever seen on here. So some canyon cruising hot foot it going to stress the suspension beyond a track prepped Evo on Hoosiers lapping Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio or VIR.

Step away from the kool aid....
Old Nov 3, 2011, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDavenport
That's got to be one off the dumbest things I've ever seen on here. So some canyon cruising hot foot it going to stress the suspension beyond a track prepped Evo on Hoosiers lapping Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio or VIR.

Step back from the keyboard hotshot and think for a minute......... This guy can go outside and beat his car to death all day everyday if he wanted to compared to somebody who waits for a monthly race. You have absolutely no idea what the roads he drives on look like. Also don't put words in my mouth and start naming off different tracks in the US just because you misread my comment. I bet his roads will give more abuse than road courses here in Florida and many other states.

Last edited by RevMoto; Nov 3, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
Any proof to this? I mean right on their website, it says "assembled in the USA". Not trying to start a war but it's just crazy how you're claiming it's not assembled in the USA when on their website, it says it is. They could get into a lot of trouble if someone found out it wasn't assembled here and get sued for falsely claiming it wasn't assembled here.
http://www.fortune-auto.net/fortuned...ughtseries.htm
Right on top "Assembled in the USA".
Fine. They come in a box from China assembled...then they are re-assembled with some spring swaps.

Still not made here.

Step back from the keyboard hotshot and think for a minute......... This guy can go outside and beat his car to death all day everyday if he wanted to compared to somebody who waits for a monthly race. You have absolutely no idea what the roads he drives on look like. Also don't put words in my mouth and start naming off different tracks in the US just because you misread my comment. I bet his roads will give more abuse than road courses here in Florida and many other states.
Actually, Jim has you by a lot here Rev. He's taken his car methodically from stock to race level. He's like me - covered a lot of roads and travels. He can drive the tires (literally) of his car.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Well said Davenport!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the OP - just be careful what you wish for. While higher spring rates may be great for road racing or auto-x, they don't always make for a better (or healthy) street experience, since that requires great (and well matched) dampers along with the higher spring rates - not something you generally get with the lower tiered coilovers. The last thing you want when you're cruising on canyon roads is a snappy/twitchy car. That type of setup works fine on controlled race courses, but it's not something I would want on a public road. Also, if you're not running on r-comps, then I would question the need for coilovers altogether. Personally, my advice would be to stick with the bilstein/swift setup until you KNOW that you are exceeding the limits of them - and the only way you'll know is by participating in more track days and learning how to push the limits of the car safely with the help of a knowledgeable instructor.

l8r)
Old Nov 4, 2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
To the OP - just be careful what you wish for. While higher spring rates may be great for road racing or auto-x, they don't always make for a better (or healthy) street experience, since that requires great (and well matched) dampers along with the higher spring rates - not something you generally get with the lower tiered coilovers. The last thing you want when you're cruising on canyon roads is a snappy/twitchy car. That type of setup works fine on controlled race courses, but it's not something I would want on a public road. Also, if you're not running on r-comps, then I would question the need for coilovers altogether. Personally, my advice would be to stick with the bilstein/swift setup until you KNOW that you are exceeding the limits of them - and the only way you'll know is by participating in more track days and learning how to push the limits of the car safely with the help of a knowledgeable instructor.

l8r)
Thanks for helpful input! Are you saying that the KW's, being a higher end coilover, will be less twitchy? I think the Swift/Bilstein combo is fantastic, but having to buy all new Bilsteins, get them revalved, I might as well upgrade while I'm there. If I could do the down time right now, I would just send out my Bilsteins. So if I buy a second set and send them out, it's $200 more for me to get the KW Variant 3's.

Also, I do believe that I am pushing the limits of my current set up, at least that's what my tire bill says!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I may have come across strong, but my journey through the DE ranks has been eye-opening and educational beyond what someone that hasn't put hour after hour on road courses might understand. Oh there are guys on here (Nate, Jarrod, etc) that are waaaaay beyond where I am at. You want to find out the weak points of an Evo (or any car for that matter). Work up through the DE ranks and then start trying to keep pace with GTR's on Hoosiers and TT prepped Z06's and tell me you can even begin to approximate that kind of trial by fire testing anywhere but on a track.

Originally Posted by Smike
Actually, Jim has you by a lot here Rev. He's taken his car methodically from stock to race level. He's like me - covered a lot of roads and travels. He can drive the tires (literally) of his car.
Mike has been giving me sage advice and been a good sounding board on my journey to where I am at. He knows what he is talking about and the SmikeEvo setup of Bilstiens/SpecR springs with RSB took me through most of my DE days. It's a setup well matched to a tire like the Star Specs or RS3's and it helped me develop skills along the way to get me ready for R compounds and now Hoosiers.

As a bonus the Bilstiens rode a heck of a lot better than the OEM KYB's ever did. The Bilstien/SpecR combo is most likely what I would still have on my car if it was still an occasional DD and sometimes DE toy. And I agree with what Ludikraut is referencing on the harshness and skiddish nature when you go 'too far' on a street driven ride. My car is no longer any fun to take on a public road. I only do so to shake down odds and ends and make sure things are working properly before I head to the track. It is physically tiring to drive it, and every patched pothole, pavement seam, etc is transmitted (in amplified fashion) to the driver. This is great on the track. It wears you out on the street.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:23 PM

i think fortune should send a set of coilovers to smike so me and everybody else can get what we want...and thats a official yay or nay from smike on whether they are a good entry level suspension...
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
i say do more research first on the coilovers, im not sure i'd take either unless it was kw robispec.. and close to that price range i'd just get ohlins dfv from gtworx, comes with camber plates
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:45 PM
Cyp
Evolving Member

I have the Swift Spec R springs. I installed them on my stock X MR Bilsteins. After about 10k miles, the shocks were shot. Sent the Bilsteins for a revalve to match the spring rates. I got them back two days ago. After two days of driving, I can honestly say that they transform the handling of the car. Its like that perfect coilover setting and you don't want to mess with it. It's a bit on the aggressive side, but I love it!!
Old Nov 5, 2011, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eaneumann
Thanks for helpful input! Are you saying that the KW's, being a higher end coilover, will be less twitchy? I think the Swift/Bilstein combo is fantastic, but having to buy all new Bilsteins, get them revalved, I might as well upgrade while I'm there. If I could do the down time right now, I would just send out my Bilsteins. So if I buy a second set and send them out, it's $200 more for me to get the KW Variant 3's.

Also, I do believe that I am pushing the limits of my current set up, at least that's what my tire bill says!
You could always pick up a used set of KYB struts to slap onto your car while the bilsteins are out. You should be able to pick up a set of KYBs almost for free - post up a WTB in the for sale section.

l8r)
Old Nov 5, 2011, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cyp
I have the Swift Spec R springs. I installed them on my stock X MR Bilsteins. After about 10k miles, the shocks were shot. Sent the Bilsteins for a revalve to match the spring rates. I got them back two days ago. After two days of driving, I can honestly say that they transform the handling of the car. Its like that perfect coilover setting and you don't want to mess with it. It's a bit on the aggressive side, but I love it!!
Apples to oranges, mang. We're talking Evo VIII/IX here.

l8r)
Old Nov 5, 2011, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I may have come across strong, but my journey through the DE ranks has been eye-opening and educational beyond what someone that hasn't put hour after hour on road courses might understand. Oh there are guys on here (Nate, Jarrod, etc) that are waaaaay beyond where I am at. You want to find out the weak points of an Evo (or any car for that matter). Work up through the DE ranks and then start trying to keep pace with GTR's on Hoosiers and TT prepped Z06's and tell me you can even begin to approximate that kind of trial by fire testing anywhere but on a track.

Mike has been giving me sage advice and been a good sounding board on my journey to where I am at. He knows what he is talking about and the SmikeEvo setup of Bilstiens/SpecR springs with RSB took me through most of my DE days. It's a setup well matched to a tire like the Star Specs or RS3's and it helped me develop skills along the way to get me ready for R compounds and now Hoosiers.

As a bonus the Bilstiens rode a heck of a lot better than the OEM KYB's ever did. The Bilstien/SpecR combo is most likely what I would still have on my car if it was still an occasional DD and sometimes DE toy. And I agree with what Ludikraut is referencing on the harshness and skiddish nature when you go 'too far' on a street driven ride. My car is no longer any fun to take on a public road. I only do so to shake down odds and ends and make sure things are working properly before I head to the track. It is physically tiring to drive it, and every patched pothole, pavement seam, etc is transmitted (in amplified fashion) to the driver. This is great on the track. It wears you out on the street.
I've been honored to be that sounding board Jim.

And for Rev too.

Originally Posted by Rough_draft
i think fortune should send a set of coilovers to smike so me and everybody else can get what we want...and thats a official yay or nay from smike on whether they are a good entry level suspension...
I'd love to do a shoot out with a few suspensions on the same car. It would be one hell of a review and write up for CT9A owners.

Eyeing a few options for my next track car. It's no secret that I miss power and speed. SVTF is for sale. Might be back in an Evo.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i have some experience with most of the entry level/mid range suspension setups and the only ones that can really "do it all" are AST 4100s and Ohlins R/Ts.

i don't know how many times i would have to say this but,

ride, handling, price -> choose 2

Quick Reply: KW Variant 3 vs Fortune Auto vs Blistein/Swift