Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Front sway bar moving up and down with control arms?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front sway bar moving up and down with control arms?

This past spring the car developed a slight vibration from the under side, sounded like it was coming from around the front area of the car between the acd pump, and the pedals (could not pin point it). It was random but mostly seemed to happen while backing up out of the driveway and taking off slowing in 1st gear. It went away after a week or so, and figured it was something like loose undertray, or IC pipe vibrating on something.

A month a ago and the sound comes back, again very random same conditions. I get under the car, take the wheels off, tug, pry, push, pull, bang my palm on every thing suspension, exhaust, drivetrain, undertry, ic pipes you name it. Nothing, can't find a single thing. Put the car back on the ground and it's still there. Jack the car back up, again can't find anything.

Finally found a shop with an oil pit and went down in the pit, but of course the sound would not stick it's face out. So started pulling and pushing on things, and I've pushed and moved the exhaust 10 times prior to this and not a sound anywhere, but all the sudden I hear a noise. Repeat and notice the top of the down pipe hits the bottom of the sway bar. Actually it's basically resting on it!

Go home and jack the car up and wtf, the exhaust and sway bar are now well over 1/4" away from each other and I can't push the exhaust up and make it contact the sway bar.

Put my cell phone under the car and recorded a video to see what was moving as I went from the car on the ground, till the suspension was fully uncompressed by jacking it up. The video shows the sway bar moved up and down, with every single stroke of the jack. The swar bar end links feel good, no clunking, no movement besides the natural movement at each heim joint. The rubber sway bar bushings look good, I can't seem to move the bar up and down but you can push the bar side to side a good amount (well over a half inch side to side) when the car is off the ground. The car only has 27k miles, no snow, oil, abrasives like, mud or sand or rocks, alignment's up to date before the race season starts yearly, never any accidents or damage, everything is top notch. OEM sway bars, link, bushings. Suspension in sig, ride height was set by Robi, corner weighted, the whole 9 yards. Down pipe is an Injen, its' spaced well, does not hit the oil pan, does not hit the support bars, and for the first year on the car it never hit the down pipe either. Exhaust is very solid, no broken mounts or worn hangers, not much motor movement, the real issue seems to be that the sway bar moves vertically so much with the control arms.

Sure I could dent my downpipe for clearance, but I don't feel that's the real issue and would rather solve the problem. I'm going to replace the sway bar bushings first, unless someone has a better idea or some other info. If that does not fix the problem. Next idea is that maybe I need an roll center kit, to push the control arms back down, might be stressing my sway bar bushings. The car is not slammed but it's pretty low, so the RCK might be a good idea anyways.

Sorry for the long post, just figured the more info the better.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:05 PM

it is normal for the swaybar to roll in the mounts as the control arms move. as it does that some parts of it may be contacting the pipe.it will also move left to right a little. i would think the problem is with the pipe unless there is damage to the vehicle or noticable wear to bushings.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

when you installed the sway, did you tighten it while the car was in the air?

loosen your end links, and mounts if you can.
set the car on the ground.
tighten them WHILE the car is sitting on the ground. FULL weight on the ground.

see if that doesnt help.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by luckybull
when you installed the sway, did you tighten it while the car was in the air?

loosen your end links, and mounts if you can.
set the car on the ground.
tighten them WHILE the car is sitting on the ground. FULL weight on the ground.

see if that doesnt help.
Stock sways set up from the factory, but I'll give anything a try.. wait that sounds wrong.