Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

R-Comps for next year auto-x questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R-Comps for next year auto-x questions

Well, after some changes I made to my car I am now going to be in ASP next year for auto-x. Our local chapter has a tires category I could run in but this year we are not offering any pax adjustment for being in that category, so while I could run wider than 245 RS3's I still am taking a slight penalty due to not running R compounds. I am looking at my options for a relatively cheap solution. I don't DD the car much anymore but I do still need to drive it to events as well as drive it occasionally around (1-2 times per week).

What would you all recommend? I can handle ~800-900 when is all said and done for tires, but I can't afford to go new tires and rims (RPF-1) at this time.

1. Run RS3's (255/40/17) on my stock BBS and use those for street/autox in ASP
2. Run NT-01 (245/45/17) on my stock BBS and use those for street/autox
3. Run NT-01 (275/40/17) on my stock BBS and use those for street/autox
4. Run Khumo V710's (245/40/17) on my stock BBS and use some old RE-01r's on winter rims
5. Run Hankook Ventus Z214 (275/40/17) on stock BBS and use some old RE-01r's on winter rims

If I went with the 275 width tires what kind of modifications would I need to do to be able to fit that? Fender pulling/spacers/front fender mod kit?

Which is a better choice for R comps, Nitto, Khumo or Hankook? I know Hoosiers are the best choice, but again looking at over 1k for a set of those.

Any other options I did not explore that would be better? Thanks for any help/advice!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:14 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Youre not gonna want to run the V710s or zz214s on the street. So if you dont plan on changing the tires, I would stick with the RS3's.

Im guessing you dont get much rain in texas? The RS3s kinda suck in the wet compared to toyo R1-Rs or Start Specs.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Youre not gonna want to run the V710s or zz214s on the street. So if you dont plan on changing the tires, I would stick with the RS3's.

Im guessing you dont get much rain in texas? The RS3s kinda suck in the wet compared to toyo R1-Rs or Start Specs.
Yeah, got potential to change tires out if I just use some winter rims the rest of the time, so yeah probably won't run the V7210 or Z214 on the street, about the only ones I'd consider for dual duty would be the NT-01 or Victoracers (we have a guy who drives down from Alamogordo on those to events ~1hr).

Yeah we don't get much rain, in this part of Texas (more like New Mexico heh), so wet performance isn't really all that important.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
275 seems awful wide for an 8" wheel. I would think you'll have to roll the rears at the least.

Do you feel like changing wheels and tires at every event? Thats what you need to ask yourself.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J

RS3's aren't close to as bad as people claim. In Florida we get more rain then most and recently I have been pushing my car in the rain just to see how deadly they get and to my surprise they still grip. For anyone with common sense an RS3 is for sure a capable DD tire. To add I placed first in a wet event two months ago with these tires.

To the OP, if you don't mind winter tires for DD use and carrying an extra set of race wheels to swap at your events then by all means get an r comp tire. Thats exactly what I am going to do after I use up these RS3's.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:59 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by RevMoto
RS3's aren't close to as bad as people claim. In Florida we get more rain then most and recently I have been pushing my car in the rain just to see how deadly they get and to my surprise they still grip. For anyone with common sense an RS3 is for sure a capable DD tire. To add I placed first in a wet event two months ago with these tires.
Im not saying they are bad, just that they wont be competitive compared to the other two in standing water .

Follow the STU or STR guys around and see how they use R1-R's for rains and RS3s for dry tires... Kinda ruins the whole street tire class but when you're trying to be the best...

On that note, its almost as bad as the SS national champion this year bringing a fresh set of A6's for each run. That's getting a little outrageous.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Think I'm leaning more and more towards geting some R comps, especially after seeing the 2012 pax indexes

I used to change my tires at events (had some all seasons that were still in good condition so I ran those and swapped to RE-01r's for events) sure was a pain but I'd do it for an R Comp heh.

Actually I noticed another possibility, Nitto NT-01 255/40/17 thats not quite such a crazy stretch suppose it may be a good compromise heh. Its odd I can't really find 255 or 265 R comps other than Hoosier I wonder if the larget contact patch of a 255 Nitto would improve it past a 245 Khumo/Hankook.

Anyone have any input on Nitto NT-01 vs Khumo V710 vs Hankook Z214? All seem about the same price for the 245 width tires. From what I've read V710 is probably the best of that bunch getting as close to a Hoosier as possible but not sure.

Last edited by vortico; Nov 18, 2011 at 02:20 PM.