Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Dragging brakes after brake flush...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sna08
Which is why I'm starting to think its because I pressed the brake pedal all the way down... Will this cause issues with mbc if pedal was depressed all the way to floor?
It's not supposed to... The boosters do carry an adjuster inside of it but it's hardly unlikely that that would move on its own: As well you'd have to remove the brake master cylinder to get to it.

On the pedal if you're getting 2 play movemens then that's fine; one would be play from the clevis pin and the other is the actual play to the rod. So that is ruled out...

The only other suggestion is as to what todd has said: calipers could be sticking (though I still can't really understand why) But here's the mitsubishi procedure for it:

Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Master piston return spring and port for clogging? Would you happen to have diagrams of these mishi? Thanks for helping me out man.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

I'm planning to also do a bleed tomorrow and I ordered the caliper seal kit from Subaru which is a lot cheaper than Mitsu
Old Dec 5, 2011, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so i remember doing step 8 which is to depress brakes and check wheel for spinning and it didn't spin so maybe I do have stuck pistons... Come to think of it the inside of my pads were quite thinner than the outside when it was replaced. So maybe the inside are sticking a bit?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so i remember doing step 8 which is to depress brakes and check wheel for spinning and it didn't spin so maybe I do have stuck pistons... Come to think of it the inside of my pads were quite thinner than the outside when it was replaced. So maybe the inside are sticking a bit?
AHHHH there you go. Sticking calipers. Gimme a sec I'll get back to you
Old Dec 6, 2011, 01:58 AM

i have the same problem

have the front end jacked up and the wheels move kind of freely, very slight drag. then i have my girl press the brakes locks right up. then i told her to let go and the wheel moves freely again with a slight drag. is that the same situation you have. trying to figure my problem out too. check e-brake OK, check front caliper pistons OK. the only thing i could think of is new rotors and pads maybe a little too thick that causes dragging.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

In your case maybe but I didn't get new rotors. I changed pad ds2500, got lots of squeal, bled brakes, now its dragging. Enough to stop on its own at 5 mph. With front jacked up I stepped on brake and spin wheel, does not spin nor move. Gonna bleed brakes again this morning and see if that'll work I did order a new brake seal kit but it hasn't come in yet.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

bleeding brakes won't cause them to drag, just won't happen. check to see which wheel is dragging and disassemble that pad set and see if they are lubed properly and move freely.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Update Brakes DON'T drag anymore...

I did another bleed with a lot of fluid to make sure there was no air. Now it's not as firm as it was when it was dragging so I'm not sure how firm it's suppose to be. I'll see how it goes for a couple days thanks all.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 08:06 PM

make sure

I thought the same too. jack up the whole front end and spin the wheels and make sure the brake pads don't drag. you will hear and feel it when spinning the wheels by hand
Old Dec 6, 2011, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Good to hear. keep us informed on the progress...
Old Dec 7, 2011, 04:45 PM

Update Brakes DON'T drag anymore...

I did another bleed with a lot of fluid to make sure there was no air. Now it's not as firm as it was when it was dragging so I'm not sure how firm it's suppose to be. I'll see how it goes for a couple days thanks all.
My only guess would be that during your first bleed, when you pressed the pedal all the way down, the gunk that builds up in the unused portion of your master cylinder (the portion that normally has no piston/seal travel under normal braking) was wedged in some way that held your brakes on a very small amount. Considering that the pistons in the master cylinder only move one or two inches, it wouldn't take much for them to be off zero. When you flushed the brakes again you probably dislodged it and fixed the problem.

This is pretty far fetched, but there's nothing else that explains why it got better after another flush...unless you just got lucky and a sticky caliper piston/slider got better, etc.

In for updates.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by weaselandahalf
My only guess would be that during your first bleed, when you pressed the pedal all the way down, the gunk that builds up in the unused portion of your master cylinder (the portion that normally has no piston/seal travel under normal braking) was wedged in some way that held your brakes on a very small amount. Considering that the pistons in the master cylinder only move one or two inches, it wouldn't take much for them to be off zero. When you flushed the brakes again you probably dislodged it and fixed the problem.

This is pretty far fetched, but there's nothing else that explains why it got better after another flush...unless you just got lucky and a sticky caliper piston/slider got better, etc.

In for updates.
I think your on to something. I did see floating particles in my brake fluid that didn't seem right. It looked like flakes. Everything is back to its squealing self again... I just built myself a power bleeder so I'll bleed it again and see if there's any more of those particles I saw the first time I did it.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by weaselandahalf

In for updates.
Lol sounds like you had experience with this?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 09:57 PM

Not much, I just have a good teacher and good memory lol