Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Anybody use Tire Softener compounds for racing/long term storing?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anybody use Tire Softener compounds for racing/long term storing?

I have my set of star specs stored away and was thinking if I should soak them in tire softener so they wont get hardened from being stored for a while? anybody use this stuff for racing that would like to share their feedback?
Heres a link to some of the stuff. http://pitstopusa.com/c-132556-wheel...softeners.html
Old Dec 4, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Do not let that touch the tires. Destroying the compounds or changing them can have negative and unsafe effects. Ozone and UV are some of the most harmful things for tires (naturally occurring).

Best case: Store inside, in above 50F, off the ground or at least with a separator from direct contact. And not near any heat sources. Stacked. Avoid having a contact patch. Just gravity over the winter months can cause flat spotting.

Some tires have a sensitive glass transition point. E.g. the compounds crack or shatter once cold. Z1* are not that sensitive, however, they like a good, temperature controlled, dry storage.

General summer, not AX special tires, can be stored in less sensitive manners. Just remember the ozone and UV part. And if possible, off wet, damp surfaces. Example of my Mustang: covered outdoors on jacks. Tires are covered to limit UV exposure and off ground for flat spotting and being in contact with wet/damp conditions.

Last edited by Smike; Dec 4, 2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Smike
Do not let that touch the tires. Destroying the compounds or changing them can have negative and unsafe effects. Ozone and UV are some of the most harmful things for tires (naturally occurring).

Best case: Store inside, in above 50F, off the ground or at least with a separator from direct contact. And not near any heat sources. Stacked. Avoid having a contact patch. Just gravity over the winter months can cause flat spotting.

Some tires have a sensitive glass transition point. E.g. the compounds crack or shatter once cold. Z1* are not that sensitive, however, they like a good, temperature controlled, dry storage.

General summer, not AX special tires, can be stored in less sensitive manners. Just remember the ozone and UV part. And if possible, off wet, damp surfaces. Example of my Mustang: covered outdoors on jacks. Tires are covered to limit UV exposure and off ground for flat spotting and being in contact with wet/damp conditions.

Good info, thanks.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts