Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

DO NOT buy anything from JIC USA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is not our policy to post in forums since it is our policy that our relationships with customers are private. However, since Todd Shusterman has already posted in numerous forums complaining about our “bad” customer service, there is no more privacy issue.

First, I would like to lay out the facts from our position. Mr. Shusterman contacted us a while back regarding a loose locking nut for a lower bracket. Our policy is, as with any other manufacturer, is to determine if the part in question is a defect on our part. In order to expedite a solution, we had asked Mr. Shusterman to provide pictures of the problems he was facing. No pictures were ever sent. OK fine. As a company we try to stand behind our product so we went ahead and sent him a tested replacement for the locking nut. After 1 month, Mr. Shusterman again contacted us and said that he recently replaced the locking nut. He claims the recently replaced locking nut was again having the same problem. We asked for another picture. Mr. Shusterman could not provide us with any pictures so the only solution was for him to send us the whole damper. Upon inspection, we found a dirty damper covered with some kind of grease inconsistent with our damper materials. Once cleaned off, the body of the damper had some thread-locking compound on the aluminum locking nut. Remember using thread-locking compound on aluminum is not a good idea. It will freeze up the aluminum to metal contact. Upon further inspection our technician found damage to the knob adjustment. We assumed there was some trauma to the knob adjustment since the knob was missing some bearings inside and was not in one piece.

We ended up servicing the entire damper providing a new adjustment knob and a new locking nut. All free of charge. Clearly the above item was not damaged due to a manufacturing defect but from either a road hazard or an incorrect installation. Because of the complexity of our systems we only recommend installation be done by professionals or someone in our dealer network. Again we would like to stress that these coilovers are not your standard gas struts with springs. These coilovers have much more parts with more exotic materials and care and precision must be provided when installing these units.

As a company we have committed ourselves to provide customer service as one of our highest priorities. When Mr. Shusterman’s situation came up we had to determine if this is a manufacturer’s defect or just an isolated incident. The fact that this was the only time we’ve heard of a locking nut loosening repeatedly only points to the fact that this was NOT in fact a manufacturer’s defect. By this we find that we have gone far and beyond normal customer service.

With this reply, we hope that now you will be able to pass your own judgment about our customer service.

Regards,

The Management
JIC-USA
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

So you are confirming that the owner wouldnt talk to a customer? That is still bull**** and poor service. If I call up Road Race and am pissed about a part I damn well know I am gonna get the owner, same goes for some other companies.

Thank you all for your enlightenment on this company and products that just made my decision between Tein and JIS easy.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Well, I think the size of the companies is different, but yeah...I'm still skeptical about customer service complaints. I especially have a tought time believing people who make it their mission to post their problem all over the internet...Anyway... Though I generally don't trust the customer based on their having more to gain from a false complaint, I also have a tough time believing th companies. The complaints do succeed in making me feel "warned" though, and at least get me to look twice before purchasing.

I really only have 2 questions and they're both for JIC.

1. What makes installation of your products so much different than something made by your competitors (let's say for example Tein dampers)?

2. Who is "The management"?
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally posted by HobieKopek
Well, I think the size of the companies is different, but yeah...I'm still skeptical about customer service complaints. I especially have a tought time believing people who make it their mission to post their problem all over the internet...Anyway... Though I generally don't trust the customer based on their having more to gain from a false complaint, I also have a tough time believing th companies. The complaints do succeed in making me feel "warned" though, and at least get me to look twice before purchasing.

I really only have 2 questions and they're both for JIC.

1. What makes installation of your products so much different than something made by your competitors (let's say for example Tein dampers)?

2. Who is "The management"?
Yes. There are usually three sides to every story. We had heard two, the missing one is the truth, which
usually lies somewhere in the middle.

But even the middle in this case still looks a little too murky for any but the bold and reckless to venture.
Too many other good options.

Mike's dad
Old Jan 16, 2004, 04:16 PM

I see a lot of words, but no real argument or defense. I am not sure why you keep saying I didn't send photo's, I still have a couple of the e-mails with the files attached 8/29 subject: Problems with my FLTA2 and subject: Problems with my FLTA2 Part 2. I have some more as well, but I am at work and they are on my home computer.

The adjusting knob is perfectly straight and has no marks from damage (I have it in my hand right now). I noticed that it no longer clicked when adjusted and that should be a warrantee issue. Yes, kudos' to JIC for fixing that, thank you, thank you very much.

"Remember using thread-locking compound on aluminum is not a good idea. It will freeze up the aluminum to metal contact".
I did try Loctite Blue in a desperate attempt to keep my front wheels from flopping all over the place. The purpose of Loctite is to "freeze up" the contact that is why it is called a thread locker. FYI, Aluminum is metal, did you mean the aluminum to steel contact? Last point on this topic, anodized aluminum is not the same a raw aluminum, in case you were concerned about the chemical reaction or bond of the Loctite to aluminum.

"The fact that this was the only time we’ve heard of a locking nut loosening repeatedly only points to the fact that this was NOT in fact a manufacturer’s defect. By this we find that we have gone far and beyond normal customer service."
I really think this paragraph sums it up. They assumed that because the problem I am having was not the norm, It could not possibly have been a manufacturer’s defect. He actually called it a FACT... twice, that is a huge assumption and they obviously had their minds made up. I was doomed from the start for having a problem they do not see every day. If what I received was "far and beyond normal customer service" All the rest of you guys are really in for it.

"With this reply, we hope that now you will be able to pass your own judgment about our customer service."
Yes, please do. Also take all the other posts into consideration. Some of the forums have quite a lot of horror stories. It seems MOST people fall into one of two categories. Those without complaints and those who have had to deal with JIC USA with warrantee issues.

I am very happy to see you respond. It shows that we got your attention and perhaps something good will come out of it. I have heard from one person who feels you took care of them yesterday and that may have been because of the press you are getting. It is a start, keep it up.

Last edited by DC5Denver; Jan 16, 2004 at 04:31 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 07:46 PM
SOF
Evolving Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek
"The management"?
LOL
Old Jan 17, 2004, 02:11 AM
Evolved Member

well how about this my name is adam i own almost every product JIC has out for the evo and i love every single one of them and have had zero problems with them, fitment was perfect quality was excellent etc etc etc. i think that faulty install might be the cause of his problems and that he should look other places for error rather then just blaming JIC. my .02 **** if your in so cal stop buy and check out my JIC stiff or call vivid racing or RRE and ask them about the shocks....
Old Jan 17, 2004, 03:48 AM
Evolved Member

So, except for Todd's problem, what else? hmm...
Originally posted by Chris in HB
I've heard the same story about JIC's "service".
plus...
Originally posted by WINSTON
I had the same problem with a set for my customers 944 turbo. After several weeks without results, I began too let EVERY one know about what had happened. ... ... ... . No results though, they just ignored the problem, blew me and my customers off!
plus...
Originally posted by RuckerPark
From a reliable source of mine in Japan, most of the JIC parts are manufactured, assembled and inspected in Korea, then shipped to Japan for labeling before shipping out. And quite honestly, I don't trust Korea's aftermarket automotive manufacturing. Afterall, that country does not import JDM vehicles at all if any! Just food for thoughts.
plus...
Originally posted by tlclee
I have heard bad things about JIC's customer service too.
plus...
Originally posted by blonde
i mentioned this like a year ago. from personal experience with JIC i wouldn't recommand them even to the guys i am racing against. their products are ok quality but still not great and their costumer service is even worst than the RMV. also, they are not cheap.....
conclusion: (it's JIC, Vince, not JIS... )
Originally posted by Guru_Del
Thank you all for your enlightenment on this company and products that just made my decision between Tein and JIC easy.

Besides...$900+ is way easier to save than $1700 (even tho now I'm in even more debt.)

Last edited by drummerjun; Jan 17, 2004 at 04:02 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 08:43 AM

MrBubbler is concerned about the install:

I installed the coilovers with a friend in his shop. His family shop has been in business for over 50 years and is a fully licensed, certified, bonded, insured, they are even a state appointed diesel emissions testing facility. My friend has been a mechanic for 30 years.

My skills... The first car I built was a 72 Datsun 510 when I was 17. The block was a L20B 2 liter motor out of a Datsun truck, I used Z flat top pistons, U67 head, Datsun 610 flywheel (This was the only flywheel with six bolts to the crankshaft and still used the smaller/lighter pressure plate), 2000 Roadster pressure plate, Z 5 speed transmission and a low ratio Z rear end. (I had to shorten the driveshaft 6", have it re-balanced, and move the shifter hole back 3"). I removed the mechanical fuel pump and used a junk yard take-off electric pump mounted in the rear by the gas tank. I had a three row radiator core brazed into the stock tanks and had a thermostat bung added to the bottom tank for the electric fan. I put rocker switch with a light in it on the dash so I could see if the radiator fan was kicking on, or I could manually turn it on. All the lights, hazards, turn signal and wiper controls came out of a Z. The stock controls were knobs on the dash and I likes the modern wand controls of the z-car. I completely rewired it and reworked the suspension. The car would chirp 4th gear on the freeway with four people in it (hey, I was 17, stuff like that was cool). The car felt so close to neutral and I figured out that skateboard truck rubbers fit the swaybar connecting rods so the final suspension tuning was done by using different durometer rubbers until it was perfect. That car was sweet. I sold it in 1989 for more than it sold for new in 1972. I could go on more about the car, but those are the high points. I even won an award in high school for my automotive mechanical skills, they gave me a check for $200 in front of the entire student body.

I am a mechanical designer, have a patent for a drivetrain and a full blown machine shop. I spent years designing and CNC machining plastic injection molds. I have worked building and straightening motorcycle suspension, car and motorcycle wheels and brakes for about 8 years. I am more than qualified to install the JIC coilover suspension even though they do not come with any instruction. I make my living doing stuff like this install. I did the job with my friend because his lift make life easy, plus he is my friend and it was a fun project until it was done and started coming loose.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If i where you i would of called my CC asked for full refund from them, screw calling JIC or any one if the managment does not want to talk to you, no respect for customers. By the way installing coilovers on RSX is peace of cake it took me less than 3 hrs with basic tools and i used Tein. they should of replaced the hole coilover right away no questions asked. and i was going to buy a down pipe plus a complete coilover kit from JIC. no way, i will go to HKS
Old Jan 18, 2004, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

JIC-USA....im sorry but i will definitely NOT buy anything JIC after hearing this. It was a decent attempt to try to prove yourself...but if a customer has an issue on an expensive part like that, REPLACE IT, no questions asked. Nothing I hate more in my life then getting the BS runaround, IT SUCKS. Not only that but your customer should NOT have to pay for shipping charges for a part that was defective. Sorry for venting, but poor customer service is the worse thing in a company. Good luck.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Man that sucks, I hope everything works out for ya.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

JIP-USA (Jipped me too...)

My 02...

After purchasing a JIC Bullet Manifold (As Mr. Bubbler also had), I replaced both gaskets and the manifold. Come to find out after the install, I repeat, after the install, that JIC did not level the manifold mounting surfaces after performing their welds..OMG

Due to this story at hand, I figured that JIC-USA would not be able to help me out much at all...not that I wanted them too.

Therefore, after remvong the manifold again, and paying RRE to properly level the manifold, and replace the gaskets again, now everything is ok.

Point is, JIC does make sub-standard products that I do not recommend to anyone!!!!!

That's my $600 labor nightmare. You products are a JIP!!!
Old Jan 20, 2004, 05:46 PM

JIC, I'm still waiting.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you are telling me that 2 different coilovers had the same problem on your car? Did you ever think that something else on your car was doing this?

Just playing devils advocate I guess...but I used to run tech support for a company, and its incredibly rare for any product to be faulty in the same place, same symptoms, same result. Generally its something associated with the product that is causing the concern.

Not to take away from your story, it really sucks to be in your position I know. Its also too bad they did not seem to take it seriously in this case. We live in the internet age, and customer service failure is often magnified 1000 times over. Good luck bro.

Quick Reply: DO NOT buy anything from JIC USA