Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Your thoughts on new summer tires

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your thoughts on new summer tires

I've started researching some Extreme Performance Summer tires (as defined by tirerack.com) which I will potentially use as replacements for my worn Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec.

So far I have the following and would like to hear your opinion and comments or suggestions on tires that I haven't considered:

Yokohama - ADVAN Neova AD08

Hankook - Ventus R-S3

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11

Or just stay with the Star Spec
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:14 AM

... we can also consider the

Sumitomo HTR Z III (in the Max Performance category)

and the ever-popular

Yokohama S Drive
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally say either stick with the star specs, the rs-3s or get the re-11s if you have the money for them.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
+1 on sticking with the Z1's. You'll spend more but not necessarily get much more in return. If you did mult track weekends a month then maybe the RE-11. Otherwise stick with what's been working. Call me when ready!
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by NeoGearX
... we can also consider the

Sumitomo HTR Z III (in the Max Performance category)

and the ever-popular

Yokohama S Drive
Neither of which are in the same league as the tires you initially mentioned. They're both good tires, would last longer, probably a bit smoother/quieter ride.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by ThePNO
Neither of which are in the same league as the tires you initially mentioned. They're both good tires, would last longer, probably a bit smoother/quieter ride.
yup, not in the same league ... but after some thinking I think I'll continue with the Star Spec (worked well before in both dry and wet, and I dont do enough track days anymore to justify the RE11's)
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NeoGearX
yup, not in the same league ... but after some thinking I think I'll continue with the Star Spec (worked well before in both dry and wet, and I dont do enough track days anymore to justify the RE11's)
Well if you're not pushing them to their limits which is pretty crazy on the streets then you don't need them.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:08 PM

anyone use the michelin pilot super sports? They are incredible tires. I had Potenza RE-01R's which were awesome, but kinda loud. Then I tried the Ventus v12's and they were super quiet...but the sidewalls were like mush. I was sliding all over the dry road.

The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the best of everything. They're quiet, stick like glue to the road, supposedly last a long time. Going from the v12's to the super sports was like night and day.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:21 AM

I'm going to try RS3's my next replacement. Have heard nothing but good things about them. I had Nitto NT-05's on my Z and I loved them. Low tread wear though, but gripped like no other.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm also looking for tires in a 265/35/18, I do not drive the car in rain - it's only a nice weather car and I don't track the car, although that might change, but I doubt it. I just need a good street tire that can grip on the on-ramps if you guys know what I mean

I had narrowed it down to AD-08, Star Spec, RS-3, RE-11 (In no particular order of preference)

from what I've read you really don't need AD-08 or RE-11 unless you track the car, so I guess it comes down to whether its worth it to have really nice tires if I never see track time, or if the Z1/RS-3 will work. The RS-3 is the cheapest from what I've seen
Old Feb 8, 2012, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
I'm also looking for tires in a 265/35/18, I do not drive the car in rain - it's only a nice weather car and I don't track the car, although that might change, but I doubt it. I just need a good street tire that can grip on the on-ramps if you guys know what I mean

I had narrowed it down to AD-08, Star Spec, RS-3, RE-11 (In no particular order of preference)

from what I've read you really don't need AD-08 or RE-11 unless you track the car, so I guess it comes down to whether its worth it to have really nice tires if I never see track time, or if the Z1/RS-3 will work. The RS-3 is the cheapest from what I've seen
I don't understand the thinking that since the car doesn't see track time it can get by with a lessor tire. Track or not you own a car that can avoid almost anything thrown in front of it. When did the streets become so safe that this isn't a wonderful ability?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
my vote is the rs3. Put a set on my car end of last season and did a couple auto-x, hill climb, and a track day on them. The grip is amazing! this year i went with a 255 on 9.5" wide rim and will run that for the first few events and see how i can hang with r comp guys but i think it will be close (for my local scene that is)

When all things are considered (performance/cost/wear) i dont think the rs3 can be beat
Old Feb 8, 2012, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
I don't understand the thinking that since the car doesn't see track time it can get by with a lessor tire. Track or not you own a car that can avoid almost anything thrown in front of it. When did the streets become so safe that this isn't a wonderful ability?
in other words I don't think I need a high-end Advan tire with low treadware for the street. problem is, these Z1 everyone raves about are almost the same price
Old Feb 8, 2012, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
in other words I don't think I need a high-end Advan tire with low treadware for the street. problem is, these Z1 everyone raves about are almost the same price
The forum is for opinions and everyone has one. So, no need to agree with me. But the Evo, as it came from the factory, was the only sharp knife in the drawer in its price range or anywhere close. I remember when Car & Driver set a new shortest stopping distance record with the Evo from 70 mph. So, yeah, you might go with a less expensive tire and it will wear longer. But, to me, it is like taking that sharp knife and using the dull side.

I've been run off the interstate twice and no problem (well, I got some grass seed in the intercooler). Within days of the second event this also happened to a co-worker in his weeks old Honda. He ended up overturned in the opposite lanes and the car was totaled. So, having a car that handles can be important even in everyday driving.

Last edited by barneyb; Feb 8, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I have 255 rs3s, my two of my friends have STi's with 255 ad08 and 265 star specs. All 3 cars are DD / weekend track cars. All run similar suspension mods (they run KW v3s and I run ohlins, all run swaybars, similar spring rates and camber, all on stock brembos with dba4000s). Here are my impressions.

RS3 - cheap, very quiet and comfortable for DDing, highest grip, soft sidewall makes it less sharp on the track, gets greasy if you over-work it and then looses traction and slides, WILL wear out fast! They will last 1 year with regular fall/summer/winter driving and 10 track days

ad08 - not so cheap, kinda loud and harsh for DDing, lowest grip, hard sidewall (very nice and sharp turn in), takes a few laps to work them up to get grip...otherwise feels like hockey pucks, I really doubt you will overheat them, will last the longest. My friend put I believe 8 track days on them plus DDing last season all on -3 front camber and they look brand new...

starspec - not cheap, LOUD as hell and harsh for DDing, great grip, great still sidewall with great turn in, always has a lot of grip (hot/cold/street/drag/whatever), most grip (IMO) in the rain too (my friend did a rain trackday and I was there to witness him kicking ***), I doubt it will be easy to overheat, pretty durable in terms of tire wear.

My overall pick is the starspecs if you can stand the noise and harshness. Its the best balance of all categories. Then ad08s. The rs3 is good if you mostly do a lot of tracking, know how to manage tire heat effectively, don't mind the lack of feel, and want something cheap. It will be the fastest tire on a dry track by a small margin IMO but won't last very long and won't be as "enjoyable".

Last edited by deeman101; Feb 8, 2012 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on new summer tires