Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Carbotech XP8 vs EBC NDX Bluestuff, Ferodo DS2500, RB ET800

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another fan for Carbotechs...for the track, but not the street.

Looks like you might want to use two sets of pads.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

ok small update..got the pads changed today and have put 50 miles on it. I haven't broken them in or, got past the bed in material on the NDX blues, but so far they are ok. Certainly not as sharp as the xp8s, and require more pedal effort. The great thing about them is they don't even squeak. You can seriously here a rat **** on cotton. They are very quiet. so I am going to give them the proper bed in time and in a week give another update.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mean4g63
ok small update..got the pads changed today and have put 50 miles on it. I haven't broken them in or, got past the bed in material on the NDX blues, but so far they are ok. Certainly not as sharp as the xp8s, and require more pedal effort. The great thing about them is they don't even squeak. You can seriously here a rat **** on cotton. They are very quiet. so I am going to give them the proper bed in time and in a week give another update.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

ok another update.

I did the 200 mile break in, and the 6-7 hard stops. I also measured the brakes after a 1 min cool down and was coming up with around 400 degrees Fahrenheit (guess around 500-600 at speeds). My overall impressions aren't great. These pads seem to require alot of pedal pressure, cold or hot. The bit isn't great cold either. However not dangerous. Also when they get hot, they tend to feel spongy, what they call not a confidence inspiring braking event. However these pads do seem to dust less, and you can hear a mouse fart at 300 feet with the brakes cold or hot. So they are quiet.

I guess it is too much to ask to compare these to the carbotechs. After all the carbos are the best braking pad I have ever driven on. Too bad they are so noisy. Anyways I am going to bleed the brakes, here in the next week or two, and follow up, and to see if my opinion has changed of these.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mean4g63
ok another update.

I did the 200 mile break in, and the 6-7 hard stops. I also measured the brakes after a 1 min cool down and was coming up with around 400 degrees Fahrenheit (guess around 500-600 at speeds). My overall impressions aren't great. These pads seem to require alot of pedal pressure, cold or hot. The bit isn't great cold either. However not dangerous. Also when they get hot, they tend to feel spongy, what they call not a confidence inspiring braking event. However these pads do seem to dust less, and you can hear a mouse fart at 300 feet with the brakes cold or hot. So they are quiet.

I guess it is too much to ask to compare these to the carbotechs. After all the carbos are the best braking pad I have ever driven on. Too bad they are so noisy. Anyways I am going to bleed the brakes, here in the next week or two, and follow up, and to see if my opinion has changed of these.
Try flushing the system if it hasn't been done for awhile. Prolly take care of the slight spongy feeling. Good to know the Blues are very quiet..i'm considering them to replace my Yellows on the MR
Old Apr 1, 2012, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So....... was my post on the first page about the same as your experience with these? I don't understand how some people like these pads, they are horrible for what their purpose is "designed" to be.

WRC..... the spongy feeling will not go away when they are hot by flushing the fluid. When I ran these pads last summer, with a full flush of the brake fluid, they were very spongy on when heated on track. I had to add 50ft to my braking zones because I did not know whether they'd stop me or not. Coming from 135 to 60 turning between 2 concrete walls (Charlote Motorspeedway Roval), they did not give me much confidence to do the job.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

So it seems that this pad may be for someone who wants a street pad ( quiet + cold bite) that could stand up to light track duty??
Old Apr 2, 2012, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard everyone's complaining about the noise the XP8's make...
I have these pads on my car and they are dead silent... Weird.

I've used DS2500, they were noisy and dusty and not good for anything. I've had Yellowstuff R and I was very happy with them. Even on track they were good but the XP8's are far better.
Even in -15F they still have a decent bite.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 03:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ReaperX
So....... was my post on the first page about the same as your experience with these? I don't understand how some people like these pads, they are horrible for what their purpose is "designed" to be.

WRC..... the spongy feeling will not go away when they are hot by flushing the fluid. When I ran these pads last summer, with a full flush of the brake fluid, they were very spongy on when heated on track. I had to add 50ft to my braking zones because I did not know whether they'd stop me or not. Coming from 135 to 60 turning between 2 concrete walls (Charlote Motorspeedway Roval), they did not give me much confidence to do the job.
yes similar. Not an impressive pad by any means.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 03:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by suby2evo
So it seems that this pad may be for someone who wants a street pad ( quiet + cold bite) that could stand up to light track duty??
well I wouldn't say they have "good" cold bite at all. They are just not dangerous. They are not good enough to autocross when cold.

I would say they are not a good pad for even light track duty at this time. Maybe autocross if u can get some heat in them before the run...
Old Apr 3, 2012, 03:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by G-Man_EVO

I've used DS2500, they were noisy and dusty and not good for anything. I've had Yellowstuff R and I was very happy with them. Even on track they were good but the XP8's are far better.
lucky. I wish i was. Trust me if my XP8s werent so damn noisy i would be still on them.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My NDX Blues have a ton of cold bite. And I DD/AX the **** out of them too?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by G-Man_EVO

I run the xp8s for the track. Ive put some street miles on them and they were quiet for me until they warmed up, then they would squeal. Honestly though, between my walboro pump, driveshaft support bushings, and TRE rear diff, and a 3" exh. w/ 100 cell cat, my car is noisy as it is anyhow.

The performance of the xp8s far outweigh the squeal you get imo. It is a bit of an overkill pad for someone just dd with spirited driving though.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

I run a set of XP8's at the track. and have a more streetable pad for the street. The thing I didn't like about the XP8's was the noise, really bad, and the cold bite. Mt. runs here dont required brakes all that much but when you need them you want them to work. A cold XP8 is scary. Hot they are great and life is good.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Ok. Let's get things straight here.

I don't know why ppl complain noise about the carbotech xp series pads because if you visit their website or call them, they outright tell you that these are TRACK pads that you do not run on streets.

That said, I ran both Carbotech and EBC pads extensively on track and may share some insights;

Carbotech XP series: Very good track pads with good initial bites and modulation. You will need at least XP-10s if you are a decent driver and run r-comp tires on your evo. (WARNING: THEY ARE SUPER LOUD IF YOU RUN THEM ON THE STREET AND YOUR ROTOR AND PAD WEAR WILL BE ELEVATED.)

EBC pads: both yellow and blue are dead quite, but their initial bites are very weak compared to Carbotechs. However, they will stand up the heat and will not fade despite the weak bites. Modulation is good though. On Evos, you should run 'Blues' and 'Yellows' will not withstand the heavy weight of Evos.

Quick Reply: Carbotech XP8 vs EBC NDX Bluestuff, Ferodo DS2500, RB ET800