Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Carbotech XP8 vs EBC NDX Bluestuff, Ferodo DS2500, RB ET800

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbotech XP8 vs EBC NDX Bluestuff, Ferodo DS2500, RB ET800

Looking for first hand experience between the Carbotech XP8 vs either one of those pads. The problem is I daily drive on the XP8s and cannot live with them anymore. They are just too damn noisy for daily driving no matter what I do. I am going after the girodisc shims and new grease and going to see how that works, but I don't have alot of faith in it after my current shims not up to the task. Car is a 2001 Evo 7 RS, 300+ WHP, girodisc bailout rotors etc etc. So here is what I am looking for.

Temperature- Looking for a pad that can hold heavy autocross braking, and spirited windy road runs

Noise- I need a quiet pad for daily driving.

cold bite- Although the carbotechs are decent cold. They are in no way consistent for what I want. When they get hot they are totally different pad, and you have to change your driving style half way through an autocross run. I am looking for a more consistent pad as the carbotechs ramp up pretty hard. a .60 coefficient if memory serves me correct.

pedal feel- Obviously the carbotechs do feel great when hot. Their pedal feel is good and has alot of confidence at operating temps. This is prolly the best thing about this pad IMO.

brake dust- I understand that these type of pads you have to live with some brake dust. The carbotechs however are too much. Preferably I would like a pad that dusts less in a perfect world.

wear- The carbo's are great on rotor and pad wear. I have used them in my past wilwood brake setups and loved them, and currently no adverse signs of wear. This is what I am after.

thanks for your opinions.

Last edited by mean4g63; Feb 20, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My experience is with the EBC blue's. I would not recommend them to anyone. They are not a confidence inspiring pad. Once they are to temp they take a lot of pedal pressure to get a good initial bite. I could not and would not attempt to compress my braking zones with those pads.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:43 PM

i love my carbotech i run the xp10 front and xp8 rear and i can't complain. Noise is ridiculous everyone i know will tell you the hate when i brake. i really don't care for noise.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ReaperX
My experience is with the EBC blue's. I would not recommend them to anyone. They are not a confidence inspiring pad. Once they are to temp they take a lot of pedal pressure to get a good initial bite. I could not and would not attempt to compress my braking zones with those pads.
i was actually reffering to the new ndx pad. i am assuming you used the old compound?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
That's strange. I have the Blues on my Mustang (AX car) and DD them. Just got the car out from the winter storage. 40F here and pads have a ton of cold bite and no noise. They do dust. I've AX and semi-track (AX on track) with them too. 130ish to 60 was no issue.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys in the UK have been having better luck with the new Orangestuff pads, I may try the fronts.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mean4g63
i was actually reffering to the new ndx pad. i am assuming you used the old compound?
Nope... I am talking about the NDX's. Worst brake pads I have ever used. The only reason I got them there was a deal for NASA and SCCA members where if you bought fronts, the rears came free. I am sticking with Hawk or Carbotech for my next brake purchase. Heck... I think my Hawk HPS's have more initial bite than the EBC's.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RallyRedMR
i love my carbotech i run the xp10 front and xp8 rear and i can't complain. Noise is ridiculous everyone i know will tell you the hate when i brake. i really don't care for noise.
i agree at operating temps they are amazing. but the noise is my biggest hang up. I actually had a japanese couple jump off the sidewalk one day the are so loud. lol
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

i've autoxed on the ds2500's and hated them. the cold bite was hobbible. I am a big fan of the carbotechs, though. xp8 all around has great cold bite and in my experience you can modulate them pretty easy.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 03:26 AM
Evolving Member

update...

thanks for everyone's opinions I appreciate it. the aftermarket shims aren't going to do the job... So I went ahead and pulled the trigger on some EBC NDX blue stuff. After mulling over, and doing as much research as I possibly could, I went ahead and decided to give them a try. So I will comparing them back to back with the XP8s and see how it goes. stay tuned.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

in for the update
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Out of the batch, my vote for the best allaround pad that's track capable is Carbotech XP8... However noise is HUGE, be aware.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 282 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Toxin
Out of the batch, my vote for the best allaround pad that's track capable is Carbotech XP8... However noise is HUGE, be aware.
I use XP10 all round and love them to bits... noisy as hell though..

however, after heavy track work they do not make any noise for a bout a week..

also, due to their extreme temp capability, they do cook the fluid and destroy caliper dust seals.. I usually flush a bit of fluid after every trackday,... but I guess, I'd do that with any pad..
Pedal feel is excellent and bite from cold also..
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by suby2evo
in for the update
ya sorry its taking so long...just got the pads in and havent had time to get the rotors turned and pads installed. very soon.

Originally Posted by Toxin
I do not disagree. However I can't live with the noise, and I am not really using it for track...so hopefully I can get away with a pad that will work for me.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:13 PM

I have ran Carbotech ax6,xp8,xp10,xp12, and EBC yellows, and Hawk hps.
I love the carbotech's, by far the best pad, but all are Noisy. I liked the ebc for the street, and was interested in the blues, and new EBC compounds.
For the street, you probably made the right decision.

Quick Reply: Carbotech XP8 vs EBC NDX Bluestuff, Ferodo DS2500, RB ET800