Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Dunlop direzza dz101

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dunlop direzza dz101

Who out there runs these tires? Ive been reading reviews and haven't had to much positive feedback.. I just bought a set of rims and it has two of these tires on them that are fairly brand new..

So buying two new ones instead of all four would be the logical thing to do right? Just wondering what everybody has to say about these that run them or that have, because I dont want to spend the money on two new ones and then not like them but instead buy four new ones I like.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are ok, are you looking for a street tire, or a autox tire? For the price, they make a good dd tire. When the tread was new they were excellent in rain/ standing water. I autoxed them before and they were ok for that as well. Overall I rate them 5/10, just average, would I buy them again- no. thats my .02 htl.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you referring to the regular ones or StarSpecs?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by usnevo8
Who out there runs these tires? Ive been reading reviews and haven't had to much positive feedback.. I just bought a set of rims and it has two of these tires on them that are fairly brand new..

So buying two new ones instead of all four would be the logical thing to do right? Just wondering what everybody has to say about these that run them or that have, because I dont want to spend the money on two new ones and then not like them but instead buy four new ones I like.
Fairly new? Means they are worn. You cannot just put 2 tires with 10/32nds and have 2 used with 8/32nds. Say bye-bye to your diff.

How about spending money wiser?

DZ101s are a general dd tire. Z1* are the top of the line for Dunlop.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
They are ok, are you looking for a street tire, or a autox tire? For the price, they make a good dd tire. When the tread was new they were excellent in rain/ standing water. I autoxed them before and they were ok for that as well. Overall I rate them 5/10, just average, would I buy them again- no. thats my .02 htl.
That's exactly what the reviews said. I'd be using them as a dd tire

Originally Posted by 4cdndctn
Are you referring to the regular ones or StarSpecs?
StarSpecs

Originally Posted by Smike
Fairly new? Means they are worn. You cannot just put 2 tires with 10/32nds and have 2 used with 8/32nds. Say bye-bye to your diff.

How about spending money wiser?

DZ101s are a general dd tire. Z1* are the top of the line for Dunlop.
I knew this was bad but thought that if I put the worn tires in either the front or rear that this wouldn't matter.. I thought it was only side to side that could not be done like that
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Star Specs are not the DZ101s. Star Specs are AX specials. Very sticky. Great tires.

Center diff is in the middle. No, you cannot use old tires. Have to get 4 new.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by usnevo8
That's exactly what the reviews said. I'd be using them as a dd tire

StarSpecs

I knew this was bad but thought that if I put the worn tires in either the front or rear that this wouldn't matter.. I thought it was only side to side that could not be done like that

dz101 are not the star specs. Make sure you know which ones you are actually looking at getting.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

I have a set of star specs and like them. I do use them for auto x and street duties. I would like to try out the RS3 also as they are a good sticky tire also.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Star Specs are not the DZ101s. Star Specs are AX specials. Very sticky. Great tires.

Originally Posted by TommiM
dz101 are not the star specs. Make sure you know which ones you are actually looking at getting.
Yes I couldn't remember.. I was at work I was looking at a cell phone picture and miss saw it.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had them on my cobalt. They were ok, definitely not grippy enough for a 300 hp fwd car. Handling was just ok as well. Got pretty noisy after they started to get worn down.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not a bad bang around town tire until you get a full set of something else. Similar to a Kumho or BFG of the same class.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

So does this mean that if any one tire at any one time had less tire pressure than the others say 32 all the way around and the left front had 30 that this could also happen? IF so then this shouldn't be anything to worry about because it'll happen over time either way. Honestly how many people always check their tire pressure before they drive? I'm going to say 2%.. and at that not to many people check it unless its substantially low.

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
Not a bad bang around town tire until you get a full set of something else. Similar to a Kumho or BFG of the same class.
I currently have a set of Goodyear Eagle Gt's and I love them for what I've put them through, which is every type of weather and they held up really well. I would like to get them again condsidering they've lasted me almost 25k miles and still have some tread but I ran over a piece of scrap metal and need to get new ones.. my only reason for even looking at the dunlops is that there are two new ones on the WedsSports I bought
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:39 PM

I have 235/45/17 star specs and i love them, very confident grip.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 438 Likes on 373 Posts
dz101 suck big time
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
taken from GARY@tirerack south bend, IN http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=478821

Make sure that the tires are within 4/32nds of an inch of each other for tread depth to be sure that there is no problem with the AWD system. Since most street tires start with 10/32nds of an inch of tread depth (some winter tires start deeper), your existing tires should be at least 6/32nds or deeper. If they are not that deep, you would want to consider shaving the new tires or replacing all four.

also in the same thread Many manufacturers recommend no more than 4-6/32nds difference between the tires on AWD vehicles.

true?
so, what is it? seems like some misleading information. been reading up on this matter, what about our spare tire? rather just get it towed then yes?
also read somewhere that its more affected by electronics sending power, im assuming acd? so its sort of ok for non acd evo's since its mechanical? drivetrain still works hard but not as hard as evo's with acd?
i'm just trying to understand, it would suck to replace all 4 tires if 1 blew...

back on topic, dunlop dz101 isnt very good. i've driven and raced on the star specs and they are REALLY good. not great in cold weather, they are not predictable. if your just using it for DD, then the dz101 is sufficient. also you should look into the continental DW, import tuner did a shootout on those and had great results.

Quick Reply: Dunlop direzza dz101