Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

suggestions for track tire size

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suggestions for track tire size

im getting a set of wheels/tires dedicated for my track setup since i am begining to do HPDE events. The wheels are 18x9.5 and i want to know if a 35 series tire is ok to run on the track? From what i can see, most track cars will use a 40 series tire. My tire size choices are

255/35/18
245/40/18
235/40/18

I really wanna run the 35 series out of those three, and would really like your input if its safe, or if it would just suck. Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

wat tires? also why not 265/35/18?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed. If you were running a 18x9 I would say go for the 255/35, but since you got a 9.5" wheel then why not just run a 265? Which tires were you thinking of running?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 06:07 PM

for tires, i reaaally like the sumitomo htr z III. Not ready for an R compound tire financially, and probably skill wise too.

I didnt consider the 265 because i like to run my car lower and didnt wanna have rubbing issues.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
255's or 265's for sure.

Bag those Sumitomos and get some StarSecs, or RS3's.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:23 AM

i hear so much good things about those starspecs, but they are a good amount more on $. My car is my daily driver and might see the track once a month. So treadwear is really important.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vboy720
im getting a set of wheels/tires dedicated for my track setup
Originally Posted by vboy720
My car is my daily driver and might see the track once a month. So treadwear is really important.
once a month is a pretty good amount of track time. for you to pay money to run, why go race on sub par tires?

you have contradicting posts... first post you stated you wanted dedicated setup. now your saying its your DD and treadwear is important. so which is it?

u cant have dedicated track tires and expect tread wear to be amazing. the star specs have good tread wear, but not as good as less sticky tires.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

As sunjin said, once a month is a good amount.
If the Dunlops are to much $ for you, I would go with the Conti DW as its on closeout right now and they have a treadwear of 340.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by sujinX
once a month is a pretty good amount of track time. for you to pay money to run, why go race on sub par tires?

you have contradicting posts... first post you stated you wanted dedicated setup. now your saying its your DD and treadwear is important. so which is it?

u cant have dedicated track tires and expect tread wear to be amazing. the star specs have good tread wear, but not as good as less sticky tires.

Your right about the points being contradicting because im still on the fence myself on how im going to do things. I am either going to use an extra set of stock evo X wheels for the track, and if i do then i can probably get the star specs. But if i buy a new set of wheels and tires, then ill only be able to afford htr z iii. I just feel that the stock evo X wheels are not wide enough for a track setup.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 06:46 AM
Former Sponsor

255/35-18 probably the most common fitment in 18". Great tire selection and is a confirmed fit with no mods needed.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by sujinX
By that logic why even race on a street tire, might as well jump right to a DOT slick, or full slick .

A lot can be learned by running a slower tire first, especially when you're trying to learn to drive on track. Things happen slower and you can learn to handle the car at the limit easier since the limit is lower.

I say go with the cheaper, higher tread tire first. Youll get a day or two more out of them and by the time they wear out you'll have a better idea of what you want out of a tire when the first set wears out.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
By that logic why even race on a street tire, might as well jump right to a DOT slick, or full slick .

A lot can be learned by running a slower tire first, especially when you're trying to learn to drive on track. Things happen slower and you can learn to handle the car at the limit easier since the limit is lower.

I say go with the cheaper, higher tread tire first. Youll get a day or two more out of them and by the time they wear out you'll have a better idea of what you want out of a tire when the first set wears out.
This is true for most cars, but not evos... Evos need good stiff tires to shine and to be fun on the track. Sad but true. One of the reasons why I sold my evo. Put sub-par tires on an evo, all you get is endless understeers.

If you wish to learn about driving, sell your evo and get a lightweight rwd car like a miata that does not rely on good tires to be a dependable platform
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ROK EVO
This is true for most cars, but not evos... Evos need good stiff tires to shine and to be fun on the track. Sad but true. One of the reasons why I sold my evo. Put sub-par tires on an evo, all you get is endless understeers.

If you wish to learn about driving, sell your evo and get a lightweight rwd car like a miata that does not rely on good tires to be a dependable platform
There is more than a little truth in this^

That said, why the 18x9.5? If cost is a factor, pick up some 5Zigen FN01R-C's in 17x9 +35 and load on some 255/40/17's. Unless you are all 'hella-flush' this is a trouble free combo of reasonable cost. Spend what you save vs the 18 inch setup on track time and brake pads.

If you are concerned about 'stance' and slammed and all that BS, the track is really no place for you.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J

your an idiot. you focused TOO much on what i wrote and did not understand why i wrote it. Your over analysis of my logic is a failing trademark of yours, JUST so u can forum fight. it costs about 150/ day to race, and he's wanting to attend ~12 events. your comment to just go into slicks is 100% fail like you. 12 days of track time is a "good" amount, thats 1800 bucks alone on track day cost and you want to put on super high tread wear just to drive slow? OMFG u think "things" will happen slower and u can learn when the "limit" is lower? really? who taught u that bull$hit? so your saying the OP should put on crap brake pads so he can stop slower so he can learn? really??? this statement follows YOUR logic. you think putting on high tread wear "learning" tires and horrible "learning" brake pads is going to help him learn?

Tell me DALLAS J, what can you learn on super high "learning" tires? i'll tell you, the only thing u can learn is how fast u can go on the straight, how much FURTHER of a stopping distance u need, how much sliding you can do on each and every turn, how much noise u can make and how much everyone else hates you for holding up traffic.

what does racing mean? if your not pushing it your not racing. your basically driving on the street and getting groceries for your mom. all your doing with super high "learning" tires is causing traffic jams in the corners. They have track days where instructors teach you, if your on "learning" tires, most instructors wont even get in your car. honestly would u sit in a car with 420 tread wear rating tire on a track?

why not just get some good sticky yet high tread tires like the star specs in the beginning. having a good tire is a WHOLE lot easier to learn on and gives you one great day at the track.

this isnt autox where your out there ALONE against time and can mess up. Its a track day with A LOT of other drivers.

i'm tell u the truth. i went to a track day on all season tires before because i didnt think i would push it too much or it'll be ok to learn on. WRONG after the first lap, it was the scariest thing in my life. Having faster cars blast by you and holding up traffic on the turns because the car kept sliding. ya i felt like i wasted a TON of money for nothing. went in and retired. luckily i got to drive another car with r1r's and set up properly. That was the best time ever. even on a slow car, the right tires made it all that better in the turns, i actually felt like racing and felt safe.

I suggest doing dunlops so OP can learn and have peace of mind. track days you are going a WHOLE lot faster than autox. its 150 vs 40 bucks. and its a WHOLE day of driving vs 4/ 40 sec laps. I can understand going with "learning" tires at an autox event but i dont believe that applies on track when other cars are racing too. SAFETY is KEY

Last edited by sujinX; Apr 17, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:28 AM

OK so I taken everyone's advice into consideration, and now im replying back after my first track event. I went to Thunderhill this past saturday for my first HPDE. For wheel/tires i have stock EVO X wheels on 225/40/18 yokohama s drives, worn :X I didn't do too bad considering I have plenty of years of drifting and spirited driving, so I was still able to catch most people in turns and braking. I also have Ferodo ds2500 all around on stock brembo blanks which are soon to be dba 4000 slotted.

After my first REAL track event, I was hooked! I decided to get new wheels and tires hence this thread. First was the wheels, and I originally was stuck between Varrstoen 2.2 or 3.3 and was about to order my wheels today. But my friend kicked some logic in me and said if I really wanted to take this track thing seriously, I should just get REAL wheels that are forged, stronger, and lighter. So today I woke up thinking I would have Varrstoens, and now ill be going to bed with a huge grin on my face because I have a set of 18x9.5+20 Work CR Kai Ultimate (kiwami) on the way.

Now for tires I have taken everyones advice into consideration, and realized one thing after my track day. There was only two areas I had a chance keeping up with these 500+hp m3's and corvette's and that was braking and cornering. So just like the wheels if I was gonna take this serious, I gotta get track capable tires.

Star Specs it is! The sizes available to choose from are 265/35/18, 255/35/18, or 245/40/18. Which tire, why, and will I have rubbing issues? I have 40 series tires right now on my street wheels and when im around town, I scrub and bottom out on speedbumps and slopes. Im scared if I go to a 35 series tire my car will be lower and make my problem worse. opionions?

Quick Reply: suggestions for track tire size