Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Too much camber?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too much camber?

First off let me say I DD my car and do some spirited driving but no track.

So when I got my evo, I found that the right rear tire was wearing on the inside. All other tires wearing evenly. Figured it was probably just a toe issue. So I got new tires/rims, and lowering springs. Took it to an alignment shop expecting the right rear toe to be out of wack but to my surprise it was in spec.
The camber on the other hand was at -2.3* He tried to adjust it but could only get it to -2.2*
The other camber specs are FL=-2.0* FR=-1.7* and RL=-1.0

So is -2.3* causing the tire wear on my old tires?
Old May 30, 2012, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did it have 0 toe or was it slightly toe out/in? Something is definitately odd that your RL is -1.0 and your RR is -2.3 though. Any accident in the cars past?

I'm running 0 toe all around -2 rear and -2.5 (or maybe it was -3) front and I don't wear on the inside.
Old May 30, 2012, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

there was no accident reported when I bought the car so really not sure about that. Another thing I noticed is that the toe on all of the other corners where out of spec positive, but the right rear was the only one that was already in spec.

Im thinking that maybe before I lowered the car, the toe on all the other corners were in spec and the right rear was out,
and after lowering it, it just so happened that it put the right rear into spec. and pushed the others out of spec.

Does that make any sense?
Old May 30, 2012, 05:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Sounds like the EVO was set-up w/a modest track alignment. If your DD'ing your EVO only, I would have it set up at the OEM spec

Also, Not sure why the mechanic could only stand up the strut to -2.2 (not much diff between 2.3 & 2.2). Sounds like an issue to me

Does your EVO have coilovers & front camber plates?.

Peace, Joe
Old May 30, 2012, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

No coilovers or camber plates, just hotchkiss springs. It is kind of weird that it would not adjust, I watched him do it, and adjusting the lower control arm eccentric bolt didn't change the camber hardly at all. Maybe he wasn't doing it right or something but it looked like he was adjusting it.
Old May 30, 2012, 05:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Youre lowered on springs. Have they been cut? Hoping your suspension is not dumped which could be the cause of the issue.

Just trying to help. We have a pretty good group of suspension Gurus here
Old May 30, 2012, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Youre lowered on springs. Have they been cut? Hoping your suspension is not dumped which could be the cause of the issue.

Just trying to help. We have a pretty good group of suspension Gurus here
Nope, not cut. The thing is the tire was worn when I bought the car, which everything was stock at the time.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did they remove the eccentric bolt? I've heard that they can be worn out that may cause it not to adjust properly.
Old May 30, 2012, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

I took a look at it again and the eccentric bolt is definitly there, the way that it is turned looks like it pushes the lca as far outward as possible so it looks as if it is adjusted as far as it can go. I suppose something must be slightly bent.
Old May 31, 2012, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

actually now that I think about it, if the lca is pushed outward, that gives me more negative camber. So it looks the way he has it adjusted would give me the most negative camber.
Old May 31, 2012, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, move it in to decrease negative camber.
Old May 31, 2012, 07:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah that's a problem.

Also, don't settle for "in spec." Give them numbers and and get a printout.

- Andrew
Old May 31, 2012, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

I really wish I had an alignment machine that was worth a crap. lol I work at a Diesel truck dealership and we have an old Hunter hunk of crap machine that we align trucks with. It does cars too just sucks setting it up cause we don't have a rack so its all done on the floor. I was gonna just do the alignment myself but after I got the machine hooked up one of the heads wouldn't turn on, spent two hours trying get it to come on but never could. Looks like I'll probably just wait until our machine gets fixed and do it myself so that I know its done right.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
If the tire was wearing weird like that its going to be your excessive camber causing unwanted toe. Toe will change with camber on the rear suspension. I had the same issue.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Laxman
If the tire was wearing weird like that its going to be your excessive camber causing unwanted toe. Toe will change with camber on the rear suspension. I had the same issue.
Yea I'm thinking thats what it was, as the toe on the right rear was different than the rest. As I've been researching, it looks like alot of people run negative camber and unless you run alot 3+ degrees, you shouldn't see much tire wear from camber alone.