Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Adjustable height ball joint replacement in the works . . .

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Did any if this ever come to fruition?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Penny up and I'll build you some.

I think you'll have a hard time marketing these to be honest. I noticed the tolerances weren't that great on the stock arms and the bores aren't that round. I had to one off machine my inserts to each arm so the fittment was right on the bearing to allow a low amount of initial breakaway torque.

On the flip side, my PSRS also had a high breakaway torque for the same reason. Obviously low friction is of little importance to the companies marketing these parts...
Old Dec 3, 2013, 06:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
I noticed when I put my roll center kit in that the balljoints fit generally like crap.

Slightly ot 03 white:

Did you have a dimensional difference for x vs ct9a lca width? The goal I had was more ball joint, psrs and x arms .

Maybe a longer stem can be designed for a stock replacement ball joint ?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I never got a set of X arms to measure.

After pulling apart my axle though, I noticed I had bottomed the axle in the cup at least once. Add a bunch of negative camber and the lower ride height and it's not surprising the axle ran out of travel.

The axle would probably like an extra half inch or so of track width on each side when running a lot of camber. Could be why some say the X Arms work with stock axles and others say they don't. The combination of ride height/travel, camber and caster probably has a large impact on where the axle sits in the cup.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...=268523&page=7

Edited this was from an EVO 5-6 in the UK .....still the pics re interesting....

Last edited by WRC-LVR; Jan 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...=268523&page=7

Even earlier last year I designed some extended ball joints which raise the roll centre at the front end, essential if you lower the car, as the suspension is designed to operate efficiently at quite a high ride height.

Would this do the trick ?
wrong gen evo ball joints.

evo 8/9 ball joints are in the control arm.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Ok so we stay with the Whitleine ball joints which add a little and help with the LCA angle.

Spacers on the top hats raise the whole car but you can keep the springs suspension you have. That does fix the steering links angle just using height not the whitelink steering ends.

Unfortunately that raises CG up as well.

So is the real answer expensive on-off ball joints for the Front LCA's along with the Whiteline steering ends, maybe X LCA's ??

For my DD with Swift Spec-r's MR's on OEM Bilsteins, Im thinking the Tophat spacers to give a 1/2" lift and the whiteline RCK kit will give me what I want . That is to have the Bilsteins, the spec-r rate and to fix the steering geometry as well as get rid of the almost 1" rake the car has.

Side effect ..I <might> be able to get the car thru a car wash without damaging the undertray as well

And yes i have read the threads about rake...I think 1" is too much though 1/4" would be better IMHO
Old Jan 11, 2014, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
Ok so we stay with the Whitleine ball joints which add a little and help with the LCA angle.

Spacers on the top hats raise the whole car but you can keep the springs suspension you have. That does fix the steering links angle just using height not the whitelink steering ends.

Unfortunately that raises CG up as well.

So is the real answer expensive on-off ball joints for the Front LCA's along with the Whiteline steering ends, maybe X LCA's ??

For my DD with Swift Spec-r's MR's on OEM Bilsteins, Im thinking the Tophat spacers to give a 1/2" lift and the whiteline RCK kit will give me what I want . That is to have the Bilsteins, the spec-r rate and to fix the steering geometry as well as get rid of the almost 1" rake the car has.

Side effect ..I <might> be able to get the car thru a car wash without damaging the undertray as well

And yes i have read the threads about rake...I think 1" is too much though 1/4" would be better IMHO

Swap out the Spec-r springs for Robispecs and you will get rid of that rake.