Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Adjustable height ball joint replacement in the works . . .

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Adjustable height ball joint replacement in the works . . .

Here are a couple screen shots of something a buddy and I are working on. It is an adjustable height ball joint setup for the EVO to allow cars at different ride heights to always have the proper suspension geometry. Along the lines of what the Whiteline Roll Center Kit acheives, except this one is adjustable.

Still in the early planning stages - but thought I would share this with you all. Any feedback is welcome. . .

Comparison of misalignment angle vs. Whiteline RCK ball joint:

Here is a video:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3827071107964
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Love the idea, but proper execution is critical on this part.

It needs two flat areas you can get a wrench on to properly torque the bottom nut before mounting it in the hub carrier.

Making it adjustable might not be doing anything but increasing the part count and creating areas for possible corrosion issues. A fixed height that is worth while (say 1.5" vs. the 5/16" of the white lines) would probably work for all interested in such a part. Adjustable tie-rod though to correct bumpsteer would be awesome.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 144 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr

It needs two flat areas you can get a wrench on to properly torque the bottom nut before mounting it in the hub carrier.

Making it adjustable might not be doing anything but increasing the part count and creating areas for possible corrosion issues. A fixed height that is worth while (say 1.5" vs. the 5/16" of the white lines) would probably work for all interested in such a part. Adjustable tie-rod though to correct bumpsteer would be awesome.
I agree on all counts. Adjustability is nice for testing and finding the sweet spot, but personally I'd prefer a fixed height over something with a lot of parts and a nut that must be secured in place.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info.

BTW - adjustable tie rods ends are currently available. I have been running them on my car for several years . . .

http://www.green.dti.ne.jp/unlimitedworks/ (under "original parts")
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Nice find, looks like 15mm offset though?

How much of an offset range are you looking at?

Looks like a good size, high-misalignment bearing in there, should be awesome.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Jun 19, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

The Unlimited Works tie rod ends in the link I posted come in either stock width or +15 for use with the wider EvoX front control arms.

The spacers are around 1/4" each to adjust the tie rod angle/ball height.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

If you look at the pics of the Nagisa and Cyber EVO control arms - you can see that they use the exact same spherical bearing setup we are working on. Only difference is - we want to make a setup that mounts into the stock control arm rather than a bearing cup welded on the end of the aftermarket arms.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think any development like this for the CT9A is great stuff. Keep up the good work!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, the stock arms are pretty awesome for stiffness and weight and beating them in that regard would be tough to do. The only reason I'd look at an arm replacement is if it was adjustable for track width and caster. Even then though, with the X arms and the PSRS you can accomplish the same thing.

Adding a large diameter washer to the bottom might be a good idea. It's pretty common for that to be a requirement on suspension components in a lot of racing organizations so that should the plain bearing ever fail, it can't pull completely apart. In this setup, it would interfere with articulation though and couldn't be a simple flat washer. Just a thought anyway.
I’m very interested in what the final product ends up being. Healthy radii on the inside corners, rolled threads, and post-machining heat-treat are things I’d be looking for on the main shaft. 4140/41L40? 4340?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, the stock arms are pretty awesome for stiffness and weight and beating them in that regard would be tough to do. The only reason I'd look at an arm replacement is if it was adjustable for track width and caster. Even then though, with the X arms and the PSRS you can accomplish the same thing.

. . .
Exactly! Rather than pay $1000-$2000 for custom fabbed arms you can get the same results with the stock/X arms plus PSRS plus new ball joints. That's my plan anyway!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:06 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope I'm not asking too much, but could you guys design replacement ball joints for the rest of the car also? Having to buy the entire arm from Mitsu will ruin the race budget!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Evolution, yeah, should be sweet.

Any concern about the axle length with the wider track width?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I would be in the replacement ball joint. Front lower Control arm. esp if it will do much better than the Whiteline one. Needs a boot to seal it to retain grease etc.

Question for the designers. Can the other small bushing on the front lower control arm ( not the large one in the rear that can be replaced by the PRS one ) be replaced with a sleeved needle bearing ? They are high load capacity. And you can cap the ends as suggested by large washers to retain them. In fact if the washers had a neoprene coating on the inner side, it would be capable of retaining grease so mimicing a sealed bearing.

thoughts?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

No, you do not want a needle bearing in there. If you use the Offset PSRS for caster, the bore for the bearing in the arm is no longer concentric with the bolt in the subframe. Even if you don't use the offset though, any flex in the subframe or arm would cause uneven loads on a needle bering setup.

You can use a plain bearing though.
Properly sized, they should have no problem with carrying the loads. You can get away with the cheaper and more common narrow bearings too as there really shouldn't be much of an axial load on the bearing so no need for a wide bearing and the movement is about the shaft axis so there is no need for a high-misalignment bearing.

As far as sealing this type of stuff up, it probably won't happen. These types of parts really aren't meant for street cars. You can get "dust caps" for this type of stuff, but it's simply meant to reduce (not stop) the amount of junk getting in. They still need to be cleaned and serviced often.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Jun 22, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Evolution, yeah, should be sweet.
Any concern about the axle length with the wider track width?
Possibly. From what I've read SSE says it won't work - need new axle shafts. RobiSpec says it will work. My thought is that it will work up to a certain HP level - above which stretching the axles limits their power capacity and they break. I guess I'll find out!

Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
. . . Question for the designers. Can the other small bushing on the front lower control arm ( not the large one in the rear that can be replaced by the PRS one ) be replaced with a sleeved needle bearing ? . . . .

thoughts?
Cusco makes a spherical bearing insert for this joint. I have it on my car. It is not sealed. I don't think a needle bearing will work, especially with the offset PSRS, as you need some misalignment in that front bearing that a needle setup will not allow.

I'm not too worried about sealed bearings. No reason really to run sphericals except on a race car.

Quick Reply: Adjustable height ball joint replacement in the works . . .