Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Replacing front main crossmember/subframe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing front main crossmember/subframe

Hey guys

I'm having alignment issues after smacking a curb in the rain a while back. I've replaced the strut, strut mount, LCA, steering knuckle, and hub assembly/bearing and caster is still .5 degree out of spec on the front right corner where it hit. It pulls to the right. I'm thinking the main subframe might be tweaked on that side from the impact. Has anybody replaced this before? Any tricks to making this job easier? I know it involves taking apart the entire front end and supporting the motor/trans/TC. Any advice on how to tackle this job would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Fred
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fred

I recently replaced mine with a used front subframe I found on here for $80. I had hit a sewer cover in a new neighborhood and the subframe bottomed out at the connection point for the
right lower control arm. I could get camber and toe in spec,but caster was off. After replacing the subframe the caster was spot on!

As far as tips. You can let the motor and trans hang by the 2 mounts on the right and the left(mount near the timing belt and the mount on top of the tranny). The pain is going to be accessing the mount between the subframe and tranny. Disconnect the steering column from inside the car. leave the rack,swaybar,power steering lines, and lower control arms attached to the subframe. Swap everything over out of the car. You will need to replace one crush washer for the high pressure power steering line going into the rack. The return line has a hose clamp on a rubber line closer to the passengers side so no seals there. Your car is non ACD so you dont have to worry about that line getting in your way. You might want to consider upgrading your front sway bar because your going to have it off, but that is just a prefernce thing. I would buy Mitsubishi's power steering fluid.

Good luck,

CB

This was all off the top of my head, if I can remember anything else I will post up. Or any particular questions feel free to ask.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB,

You are my hero! Thanks so much buddy!

Fred