Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Help. Wheel Hop in rear w/stock suspension...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help. Wheel Hop in rear w/stock suspension...

Getting wheel hop from the rear..

Evo9 SE
Stock Suspension.
Dunlop Starspecs
No significant power mods.
Has about 74k miles.
I live in the Santa Cruz mountains and drive it pretty hard.

Yesterday, out of nowhere, I start getting a subtle wheel hop from the rear under heavy acceleration. The wheel hop begins when the car pulls the hardest, only in first and second. Once the car gets through the torquey part of the power band, the wheel hop ends.

I've checked the trailing arm bushings and diff mount and I can't see any problems just from a visual inspection.

Any thoughts as to what to look at?

Thanks,

-Rob
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

If you hammer throughout the santa cruz mountains like I used too, then you might check the bushings on the rear trailing link and LCA. the LCA has spherical bearings which can wear out over time.

This might be a good time to consider coil overs too. The stock suspension is good, but not beefy enough for something mountain charlie road or ice cream grade.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by chrisw
If you hammer throughout the santa cruz mountains like I used too, then you might check the bushings on the rear trailing link and LCA. the LCA has spherical bearings which can wear out over time.

This might be a good time to consider coil overs too. The stock suspension is good, but not beefy enough for something mountain charlie road or ice cream grade.

haha yeah you know. Ice Cream grade. It takes me 8 minutes flat to get from Felton to Pine Flat road. Such a fun set of roads.

But yeah, I don't drive that anymore, it is a bit rough. I mainly drive Bear Creek and Highway 9/skyline.

Thanks for the tips, I'll check those out. And yeah, I'm looking at coilovers right now.

-Rob
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:40 PM

SOLVED

I know this is an old post, but my car was sitting around a while before I took it to the shop.

Turns out, the clutch plate was wearing out. Replaced clutch, no more problem.

Guess the clutch would grab off and on so quickly that it would cause the hop in the rear.

Thanks for all suggestions!

-Rob