Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brakes squealing only at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brakes squealing only at low speeds

So I started hearing some brake squeal when I first bought my car (the car had 58k miles and the brakes were the same ones that were on the car out of factory) so it was time for some new brakes. Before doing any research I just went and bought some pads from advanced auto parts. Got them installed and I didn't take the time to do the proper bedding procedure. The new brakes didn't squeal at first but after a day or 2 they started squealing but about a week after getting the new pads my clutch wore out as well (long story short, my car did not get driven between January until late June so my car was in the same spot through very cold and very warm temperatures).

Once my car got fixed the brake squeal was still present and it was at the point to where it would only begin to squeal if I was going anywhere between 15 and 30 mph and coming to a complete stop and it was loud a loud AF metal on metal sound and I wanted it to stop. So last night I tried to do the proper bedding procedure and did 5 consecutive stops from 60 to 10 mph and then drove home without using the brakes as much as possible. It helped but I still hear some squealing when I'm stopping from a low speed. So I did some more research on here and found out that it can be caused by vibrations between the shim and the brake pads. So I followed the steps on getting the high temp anti seize compound and putting that between the brake and the brake shim to try and muffle the vibrations but my brakes still squeal.

Do I need to resurface my rotars? Or do advanced auto parts brake pads just suck? Any suggestions?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 04:54 PM

Lol
Old Jul 2, 2012, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went through bad brake squeal with my larger Brembos on my Volvo S60R and Evo. After several attempts on the Volvo, I found ceramic pads finally did the trick. Semi-metallics with the Brembos just sometimes squeal and there's nothing you can do about it. Even lubing the back of the pad or using the orange stuff didn't help. I even tried the Wagner Thermo Quiets (semi) and still had squeal.

Great post starscream....
Old Jul 2, 2012, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Its always better resurface rotors when putting a new pads.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

After 58k on the same set of pads, you should've turned the rotors. And I'm sure advance auto parts makes a good set of pads......just not for the Evo.

You get what you pay for.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

my experience is that with pedestrian braking you will get squeal with more aggressive braking you will get reduced squeal.
light pedal pressure = squeal ,heavier / later = less squeal
Old Jul 2, 2012, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advance sells Wearever pads which are garbage. I wouldn't put them on a mini van let alone my Evo. Thermo quiets are a decent pad for daily driver duty, but they are expensive. Don't put lube on the backing of thermo quiets..they have a coating that is supposed to stop squeals. They will void your warranty if you use lube.

If you don't want to buy new pads, I would recommend getting your rotors resurfaced and scuffing the pads to remove the glaze. You can use sandpaper on top of a flat surface to scuff the pads. Put it back together and bed them in. Make sure to not hold the brakes at a complete stop when doing this or you can actually leave material on the rotor which can cause pulsation.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think Ive ever heard an evo that doesnt have a little low speed, light braking squeal.

Thats how you know you're driving a mans machine.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Get new rotors (or if there is enough thickness on the current rotors - have them turned).

Get proper pads. Not cheap crap. Its an Evo. Not a Civic.

Recommend StopTechs for a DD. Great pad.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 09:10 AM

What about HAWKS Performance Ceramic brake pads? Also whats better getting the rotars turned or resurfaced? and can you do either of those things yourself without taking it to a shop?

Originally Posted by flymx771
Advance sells Wearever pads which are garbage. I wouldn't put them on a mini van let alone my Evo. Thermo quiets are a decent pad for daily driver duty, but they are expensive. Don't put lube on the backing of thermo quiets..they have a coating that is supposed to stop squeals. They will void your warranty if you use lube.

If you don't want to buy new pads, I would recommend getting your rotors resurfaced and scuffing the pads to remove the glaze. You can use sandpaper on top of a flat surface to scuff the pads. Put it back together and bed them in. Make sure to not hold the brakes at a complete stop when doing this or you can actually leave material on the rotor which can cause pulsation.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:05 PM

I think that might be the problem aswell, I didnt know you werent supose to lay on the brake even if you were at a complete stop after doing the bedding process. Because when they do squeal its not a constant squeal, its more of a pulsating squeal.

Originally Posted by flymx771

Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:32 PM

Did you reuse both the metal and organic shims from the stock pads? I didn't realize there were two shims because one was stuck to the backing plate pretty well, but my ET500s squealed at low speeds until I put the second shim in. I removed/replaced the pads probably 4 times trying different methods to get them quiet before I figured out I just needed that second shim. They haven't made a peep since. Turning/resurfacing or replacing the rotors and not using poor quality pads are also highly recommended obviously.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:53 PM
LCS
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the rotors might be a little worn. The raised edges touch the sides of the pads, making this noise. That´s common and happens in every car.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 09:58 AM

I didnt know there were 2 shims, I only saw the metal ones. Could you possibly take a picture of the 2 different types?

Originally Posted by Unregisterd
Did you reuse both the metal and organic shims from the stock pads? I didn't realize there were two shims because one was stuck to the backing plate pretty well, but my ET500s squealed at low speeds until I put the second shim in. I removed/replaced the pads probably 4 times trying different methods to get them quiet before I figured out I just needed that second shim. They haven't made a peep since. Turning/resurfacing or replacing the rotors and not using poor quality pads are also highly recommended obviously.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 03:03 PM

didn't want to start a new thread so i will add to this one. i have evo 8 brembos, i know the brake squeal is caused by springs plate rubbing top of pads and grease gets rid of the squeal. i greased them, squeal disappeared. BUT the grease wears away. especially after rain. anyone know of something else that lasts longer instead of regreasing guide pins and springs plates every month?