Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Fender rolling question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fender rolling question

Before I start I want to state that I did use the search tool already and found nothing that answers my ?.

I just ordered a set of Flat Black p45r 18x9.5 +20 wheels with 245/35 hancook ventus tires for my black Evo 8 that has a 1.8" tanabe drop (i think its 1.8" but could be off, cant remember exactly) because ive seen similar set ups and they look tough IMO.

Ive talked to Subydude at wheeldude.com and he said they may need a fender roll.
My question(s) is has anyone here had this same setup and if so did you need to roll the fenders? I dont have a camber in set or anything. Just had it aligned straight up for tire wear and I dont autox or anything. I know +20 is an aggressive offset so its gonna be close. Subydude told me with this set I wont need spacers or longer wheel studs which I would with the +30 offset. I am probably going to order the Professional fender roller anyway because I know I can prolly rent it out anyways. There is two brands of rollers. Easton and KTC. Both are identical looking but the Easton is 50$ More. Does anyone have any experience with The KTC? Also some tips, tricks, etc.. on fender rolling would be greatly appreciated. even though there is plenty of youtube vids out there.

Any help or opinions or PICS of that same set up would be awesome. THANK YOU

Luke
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:40 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Sir

+20 IMO is way too aggressive for a stock body EVO. At the very least you will need a roll & a fender pull which most always puts a slight crease in the rear fender

You will need a rear bumper bolt relocate as well.

The prescription noted +20 / 9.5" / 245 is most certainly a "Stance" thing. You should have posted this in that thread

+27 & higher works much better.

Personally run a P45R street wheel 17 x 9.5 +30 / 275/40 tire. I have full suspension stroke w/ no rub. (Alot of rear fender work)

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jul 17, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the exact wheel with yokahama S-drives on stock suspension.

Here is my advice, DO NOT roll your fenders... rolling fenders on evo's just doesn't work well, I highly regret doing it... seriously. The proper way to to alter your fender on an evo is to shave (cut is too much of a harsh word) the lip off the fender (not 100% of course don't be silly). The front you shouldn't need to touch, camber should take care of that. The rear will certainly need delt with, mine rubbed even on the stock suspension with the OE fender. Also, you may hit the rear bumper.

Again, do not roll your fenders... do not think you can do it yourself if you haven't done like 10 other cars....if you don't take my advice, you'll find out first hand why I gave it to you.

-Joe
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Sir

+20 IMO is way too aggressive for a stock body EVO. At the very least you will need a roll & a fender pull which most always puts a slight crease in the rear fender

You will need a rear bumper bolt relocate as well.

The prescription noted +20 / 9.5" / 245 is most certainly a "Stance" thing. You should have posted this in that thread

+27 & higher works much better.

Personally run a P45R street wheel 17 x 9.5 +30 / 275/40 tire. I have suspension stroke w/ no rub. (Alot of rear fender work)
Subydude at wheeldude.com has dealt with alot of evos and this same setup going on my llighty dropped evo. I know a fender roll is in hand which he told me. But I have heard and seen guys run +20 before and only a roll is needed. Where do or when have u seen a fender pull to be the case on these? I stated the +20 and wheel and tire size in my thread. didnt know it had to be written in that order for people to understand.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
I have the exact wheel with yokahama S-drives on stock suspension.

Here is my advice, DO NOT roll your fenders... rolling fenders on evo's just doesn't work well, I highly regret doing it... seriously. The proper way to to alter your fender on an evo is to shave (cut is too much of a harsh word) the lip off the fender (not 100% of course don't be silly). The front you shouldn't need to touch, camber should take care of that. The rear will certainly need delt with, mine rubbed even on the stock suspension with the OE fender. Also, you may hit the rear bumper.

Again, do not roll your fenders... do not think you can do it yourself if you haven't done like 10 other cars....if you don't take my advice, you'll find out first hand why I gave it to you.

-Joe
What size tires are you running though? I measured my stock tire diameter versus what my new setup will be and its virtually the same. I know the offset is what is gonna give me rubbing issues though. My question on the trimming that 3/4' fender edge is dont you have to worry about rust after you expose that metal when you have that fresh edge on there? I suppose some primer and paint would stop it but to be honest I dont know why no one has suggested just trimming that edge off. I myself am I a HVAC guy so I work with metal every day so trimming that would be easy for me.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:32 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
No problem Sir.

Here's my challenge for you. If you can get your wheel / tire set-up to do this (see pic) w/ the +20 & your stance 245 tire then you are "good to go". It you cant achieve whats in the pic, then it doesn't fit. Plain & Simple

EDIT: Use this calculator. It will help http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jul 17, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Theres no way around it, youll need a roll in the rear. Mine was rubbing pretty bad with the same exact wheel/tire spec.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SS2EVO
Theres no way around it, youll need a roll in the rear. Mine was rubbing pretty bad with the same exact wheel/tire spec.
Ok thank you. I was pritty certain that I was gonna need a role. Your response was what I was looking for. But you didnt need to pull your fenders? Just a healthy fender roll correct?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
No problem Sir.

Here's my challenge for you. If you can get your wheel / tire set-up to do this (see pic) w/ the +20 & your stance 245 tire then you are "good to go". It you cant achieve whats in the pic, then it doesn't fit. Plain & Simple

EDIT: Use this calculator. It will help http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Im not looking to slam my Evo. I have a light drop. I hear across the board I just need to roll my fenders. Your the first guy Ive heard say that I need to have them pulled. What gives you this idea? Have you seen my setup that was only rolled and still needed a pull? Btw that picture is a little dramatic. Im not looking to tuck my wheels. Just want a clean ride.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by zenoise
Im not looking to slam my Evo. I have a light drop. I hear across the board I just need to roll my fenders. Your the first guy Ive heard say that I need to have them pulled. What gives you this idea? Have you seen my setup that was only rolled and still needed a pull? Btw that picture is a little dramatic. Im not looking to tuck my wheels. Just want a clean ride.
I don't think you understand the point of that picture/post...

That picture shows what the suspension looks like fully compressed. It's not "slammed". It's what will happen if you hit a huge bump at high speed, high load. The wheel will tuck up into the fender like it's supposed to.

If you have not properly clearanced your fenders, in this situation, the fender can cut into the tire turning an uncomfortable situation into a dangerous situation in less than a blink of an eye.

What he was saying, is that if you cannot tuck the rim and tire all the way up into the fender under full compression (Without contact), then you do not have enough clearance.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GTijoejoe

-Joe
lol wut?

i just did my own fenders, first time ive ever done it. you cant even tell its been done. no waves no nothing. if you have half a brain and use the right tools it works just fine.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
lol wut?

i just did my own fenders, first time ive ever done it. you cant even tell its been done. no waves no nothing. if you have half a brain and use the right tools it works just fine.
Ya im gonna do my own as well. Ive done body work on cars before and think that Im not a virgin when it comes to stuff like this.

What set up were running for you having to roll your fenders?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
lol wut?

Also did you use the Easton fender Roller? or the KTC?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SS2EVO
Was your car dropped at all? if so, how much?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hatesposers
I don't think you understand the point of that picture/post...

That picture shows what the suspension looks like fully compressed. It's not "slammed". It's what will happen if you hit a huge bump at high speed, high load. The wheel will tuck up into the fender like it's supposed to.

If you have not properly clearanced your fenders, in this situation, the fender can cut into the tire turning an uncomfortable situation into a dangerous situation in less than a blink of an eye.

What he was saying, is that if you cannot tuck the rim and tire all the way up into the fender under full compression (Without contact), then you do not have enough clearance.
There is no way if I hit a bump with my springs my wheel will ever compress that far up. I never carry 4 passengers. I guarantee half the people with any offset even a +30 will clear if you compress the suspension that far will clear. theres always sacrifices made when messing with suspension and wheel upgrades. I am not pulling my fenders so ill take the suspension compression travel sacrifice and risk it. My fenders will be rolled but I was asking to see if I would get constant rubbing not 100% clearance if somehow my suspension compresses to an extreme extreme amount. Thats pritty drastic. People on this sight always try to sound smart and go to the extreme to do so. Not trying to be a dick just stating the fact that im not gonna be using this car off road.

Quick Reply: Fender rolling question