Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

APR extended wheel studs...need lug nuts!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
APR extended wheel studs...need lug nuts!!!!

i have an 08 evo X
i recently started getting into autocross. i switch out my after market enkei raijin rims and my stock wheels. with doing so, i have already broken 3 studs. so time for some beefy studs. so i got the APR extended studs. now all lug nuts i currently own are useless, due to the fact that they are not open ended.
does anyone have recommendations on lug nuts i should get?????

need acorn-like open ended lugs for the stock rims (the kind with washers built in) , and i guess longer then usual open ended lugs for aftermarket rims. needs to be long because the hole where the lug nut goes in is very small, not much room to fit in a torque wrench.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by ksemski
i have an 08 evo X
i recently started getting into autocross. i switch out my after market enkei raijin rims and my stock wheels. with doing so, i have already broken 3 studs. so time for some beefy studs. so i got the APR extended studs. now all lug nuts i currently own are useless, due to the fact that they are not open ended.
does anyone have recommendations on lug nuts i should get?????

need acorn-like open ended lugs for the stock rims (the kind with washers built in) , and i guess longer then usual open ended lugs for aftermarket rims. needs to be long because the hole where the lug nut goes in is very small, not much room to fit in a torque wrench.
i use the cheap ones that come with wheels from tire rack. not sure if the X are the same as the IX but its super easy to grind off the closed end part of the stock lug nut. its really thin and only takes a few seconds per lug nut. did this with the stock ones to use in a pinch
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run the extended studs with OEM wheels. Just cut the top off the factory lug nuts and painted the exposed metal to prevent rust. Works great!!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by mouseIX
I run the extended studs with OEM wheels. Just cut the top off the factory lug nuts and painted the exposed metal to prevent rust. Works great!!
i like that idea, did you uses like a dremel tool? or a hacksaw?

any suggestions on the aftermarket wheels??
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

I used a 90 degree angle grinder with a cut off wheel attachment. Basically a burley dremel tool lol.

Aftermarket wheels have plenty of aftermarket open ended lugs.

I broke a couple of studs Autox'ing as well. It happened when swapping wheels after the event. My theory is the studs where so hot that they swelled in the lugs and seized. So just be careful swapping wheels hot, I just let them cool down before wrenching on them.

Cheers

Cb
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:46 AM

i have the sr35 (open-ended) on my car and extended studs stick out at least 1/4" past the lug so i dont think the shorter tuner style or sr35 will work with extended studs. you need the sr48 or an open ended lug
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by mouseIX
I used a 90 degree angle grinder with a cut off wheel attachment. Basically a burley dremel tool lol.

Aftermarket wheels have plenty of aftermarket open ended lugs.

I broke a couple of studs Autox'ing as well. It happened when swapping wheels after the event. My theory is the studs where so hot that they swelled in the lugs and seized. So just be careful swapping wheels hot, I just let them cool down before wrenching on them.

Cheers

Cb
thanks, i got the aftermarket lug nuts solved! just need a thin walled 13/16 bit so i can screw em on.

did the lug nuts rust at all when you chopped off the caps? i feel like they might for some reason...
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ksemski
thanks, i got the aftermarket lug nuts solved! just need a thin walled 13/16 bit so i can screw em on.

did the lug nuts rust at all when you chopped off the caps? i feel like they might for some reason...
I painted the exposed portion. The part that matters(the threads) haven't rusted and won't. Some of the spots that I painted in a hurry have began to develop some surface rust. But I take them off at least once a week, which might be a factor.