Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

CRAP!!...I hit a pothole, or a log on the interstate this morning, now whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2004, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRAP!!...I hit a pothole, or a log on the interstate this morning, now whats wrong?

Well guys, I was doing my daily commute this morning to work when I was on the interstate i was switching lanes, and the next thing I know...I feel a BAAAAAAMMMMM! felt like the front end of my car had just fell off and i had ran over it. i was doing probably around 55ish. Well got to talking to my uncle and he said there is a huge pothole in the middle of the lanes. Obviously i didnt know that. I thought it was a log or something laying in the middle of the road when i had hit it. Anyways, now it feels like the Evo has a little bit more shimmy to it during normal driving. My uncle said what probably has happened is that ive busted a belt in the tire or something with the tires. i looked when i got to work and couldnt see a thing....everything seemed fine, but maybe its just me and im paranoid. What do you guys think?? Im still riding on the stock Yoko's with a little over 10k on them. New tires may come sometime soon, I plan on new wheels too, do you think this will cure the problem or my paranoidness?? The Advans ride ruff as hell anyway. heh
Old Jan 30, 2004, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

check the alignment
Old Jan 30, 2004, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Hopefully you didn't damage a component. You need to check the alignment.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

well no way we can help u... i say go to ur dealer and tell them to check out alignment... maybe any bearing damage, etc
Old Jan 30, 2004, 07:09 AM

I would say bent rim, I've done the same thing before and it bent my rim on the inside.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Check the rim for a bend...be sure to check inside and outside edges of the rim also.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

considering the evo is a rally car, i think it could take a few hits like that, not quite sure tho... but im thinking when they are rallying, they are also going 55+mph and there are major debris on the road... i think you're good, dont worry
Old Jan 30, 2004, 08:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
considering the evo is a rally car, i think it could take a few hits like that, not quite sure tho... but im thinking when they are rallying, they are also going 55+mph and there are major debris on the road... i think you're good, dont worry
A WRC rally car is completly seem welded and has a totally reinforced suspension and wheel/tire set-up.

I would at the very least have someone check the allighnment and have the wheels balanced.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Rally cars get new wheel sets during stage intermissions. So they can afford to run over debris. Plus they have a crew that checks the car completely. We don't.

93civEJ1, I'd get it checked out at the dealer's. Hope it goes well.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

im sure it is fine, i think it may be just paranoia....hehe...if not, then maybe i know what some Tax money will be going to....hmmm Work, Gramlights?? hmm tires....choices choices.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

One of 2 things happened...

1. You bent the wheel slightly.
2. You threw a wheel balancing weight.

I doubt you broke a belt in the tire. I really don't think that is a problem anymore....like it used to be 20 or so years ago.

As mentioned above, go get your tires rebalanced and get your alignment done.

SC~
Old Jan 30, 2004, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing happened to me, however i hit one of those 'turtles' that separate the lanes. In all honesty I suspect your rim is slightly bent. Take it to a tire shop and have them put the wheel on one of those spinner machines to see (sorry for the technical term). New OEM rim will be around 500 with shipping...trust me I know
Old Jan 30, 2004, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, i took it out and drove it tonight to where i hit whatever it was....the car looks fine from what all i could check myself, but i did see some funny marks on my tires where i ran over something. It was a huge pothole like my uncle said was there. I wont hit that sucker ever again. I dont think i will worry much about the wheels and tires as I may try to get a new setup if i get anything back with tax returns. Thanks yall...usually how much would a dealership charge to check an alignment and the Suspension out from where i did that?
Old Feb 1, 2004, 06:59 AM

Likely a bent rim. I had a fight with a pothole and lost last year, bent two rims on my Bimmer and damaged the sidewalls on both tires. Thing that really sucked was that they were brand new. The easiest way to check for this is to jack the car up (preferably on a lift) and with the car in neutral, try spinning the front tire and looking at it in side profile, you will likely be able to see it wobbling. If you are on a lift (all four wheels off the ground), you can put the car in gear while it's on the lift and do the same thing. Good luck. BTW, most small garages would put the the car up on a lift for you for 5 or 10 bucks.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by johnr265
Likely a bent rim. I had a fight with a pothole and lost last year, bent two rims on my Bimmer and damaged the sidewalls on both tires. Thing that really sucked was that they were brand new. The easiest way to check for this is to jack the car up (preferably on a lift) and with the car in neutral, try spinning the front tire and looking at it in side profile, you will likely be able to see it wobbling. If you are on a lift (all four wheels off the ground), you can put the car in gear while it's on the lift and do the same thing. Good luck. BTW, most small garages would put the the car up on a lift for you for 5 or 10 bucks.
sweet thanks for the info man....rotated the tires yesterday, at my buddies house, and believe it or not, it actually helped some..I think ive just messed the balance or alignment up a little, its not bad, but its not fun. The way my tires are wearing out is really messed up. My alignment must suck. I think i will wait for springs or wheels and tires or something until i get a new alignment.