Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Backing nut in front subframe broke loose - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backing nut in front subframe broke loose - what to do?

So before speaking with a friend (former mitsu mechanic who does a lot of twin disc installs) I went ahead and followed a method I found on here for removing the transfer case. Long story short when I loosened the front subframe bolts, the 19mm ones that you can reach through the round hole in the lower a-frame suspension, they must have broken free the backing nut that was probably barely tacked on inside the frame rail. So the bolt is loose in the hole but cannot be tightened or loosened since the nut is stuck to it inside the frame rail.

So what can I do other than taking a hole saw to it?
Should I try to salvage that bolt and nut or should I cut it out and start fresh?

Anyone ever dealt with this? I searched around but could not find any threads specifically about it. Also once I called my friend who was the mitsu mechanic he basically said I am an idiot and did it the hard way since he has a much better method. Live and learn.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
not sure of the situation or location...but I would look to see if you can cut a slot into the housing where the nut is located-- large enough to get a wrench in there to hold the nut in place. so it needs to be at a 90* angel to the nut. cut it open with a dremel so its clean and small . Just a thought--think it through--dont know the location to be able to say it will work.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 06:20 PM

After about an hour of searching I found this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...any-ideas.html

Looks like a nut splitter might work and then install some new nuts.

Hopefully I can get these 19mm ones locally so I can be done with this and put the damn engine/trans back in after a lengthy build.

Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 06:56 PM

Front crossmember to body connection bolt and nut
Torque spec is 123 ft lbs.
Anyone know the thread pitch?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Im a big believer in photos. Gives us a perfect sense of the issue, resulting in better assistance
Old Sep 9, 2012, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the front subframe bolt you are referring to? The bolt is caught in the little cage you can see in the pic. The top of that bolt is what is inside that cage and if that bolt gets pushed up to hard, possibly from not being careful and just jamming the subframe back on during install, then I assume that cage can break off and make the bolt loose. I guess rust could do it too. That looks like a pita to get repaired, g/l.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 02:01 PM

Followed the thread I linked to. I used a nut splitter to remove the nuts, wire brushed the threads and put new nuts on and they snugged right up. I am pumped. Motor/trans is in now too, now comes the fun part of buttoning everything up.

By the way for reference the nut/bolt is m14 x 1.50.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by ChadS
Followed the thread I linked to. I used a nut splitter to remove the nuts, wire brushed the threads and put new nuts on and they snugged right up. I am pumped. Motor/trans is in now too, now comes the fun part of buttoning everything up.

By the way for reference the nut/bolt is m14 x 1.50.

Bringing up from the dead, I have the same issue and was able to get the nut off,I used a dremel to cut through the flange of the nut and finished off with a nut splitter, I'm however having hard time finding M14 x 1.50 Flanged Nut. Is there a oem part# or where did you guys find it? My local auto stores didn't have it.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

I think this is it
MD090875
http://www.oemmitsubishiparts.com/pa...&siteid=214331
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by galantman03
Thanks! that was helpful. most of the oem sites don't have individual bolts/nuts listed so its hard to track down things..
Old Mar 21, 2014, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

you should get Mitsubishi ASA program, I can look up any mitsu part in the usa as long as I have VIN #s
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:39 PM

it it with a hammer and flat head screwdriver and back it out