Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Pillow ball mount issues - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pillow ball mount issues - advice needed

I've done some research and it looks like with aftermarket suspension, noise is common on pillow ball mounts. Here's my deal, though - I have all stock suspension other than Swift springs, and this slight pillow ball noise / clunk issue has been present since before I put the springs on. It's getting more and more frequent now that I get that "clunk" with a slight bump in the steering wheel. For a while it was only at low speeds, but it's doing it more now, and doing it when driving faster.

I've got an alignment / suspension guy that I trust, and he was saying that the pillow ball mounts have some movement and that's where the noise is coming from, but it's not really a huge problem that I need to worry about. I'll admit, it's getting annoying when the wheel is giving that clunk more sound more and more. If I want to get rid of this clunk issue, what's the best route? Are there any good aftermarket solutions that won't make noise too, or should I just go with some new stock ones? What kind of prices are they for stock VS aftermarket? If anyone has any input, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 754 Likes on 578 Posts
Does it make noise only under bump or when turning? I usually find clunks by jacking that end of the car up, both tires so the sway bar isnt fighting you much. Put a big bar under the tire and lift up, have a friend feel each joint for play.

If you cant find anything then its likely a dieing/dead shock.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:08 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So it clunks on bumps; up and down motion. Is there clunks on hard accel and hard braking also? Here's why I ask.

My car used to clunk on acceleration and hard braking. It was very noticeable at autox. I thought the camber plates were going bad also. Upon closer instead, the inner front LCA bushing were worn, and allowed the arm to move enough to clunk.

For up and down clunks, start by checking for looseness on the entire suspension. Check torque on the crown nut of the shock, check shock tower nuts, and check shock to hub bolts, etc. If your camber plates has a lot of miles, the bearings may also have gone bad.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It bumps just on usual turns, primarily at low speeds but it's starting to do it at normal driving speeds now too (40-50 mph or so). It doesn't always happen, but it's more common now than it was in the past six months. And over a year ago, it didn't do it at all. It does it often when turning and going over a slight bump too.

The alignment / suspension place that I go to does a lot of work on street / track cars, so perhaps I can have them take a look and double check everything else. I did have one issue that they had to take care of - tie rods. Upon looking over the rest of the car, he didn't say anything else was wrong other than the pillow ball mounts, but perhaps a closer inspection is necessary. The car is getting up there on miles, around 100k now, is it likely the MR shocks are going out?

Thanks again for the help / advice, it's much appreciated.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:23 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What you can do is grab the body of the shock and shake to see if you notice any movement. If there is, that can also cause clunking. Unlike some other cars, these shocks take alot of beating as there is no upper control arm on the car. If the shock body has play, its possible the bushings inside are worn.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Have the guy check the lower front control arm in the front for worn ball joint, loose bolt retaining the ball joint, and the front bushing for the control arm as well.