Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Snow Tire help??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 for the Blizzaks! Coupled up with our AWD system they're pretty much unstoppable. My amaizing wife bought me a set mounted on some Kosei rims for Christmas a few years ago. I put them on in November and take them off in March and I put some solid miles on them and they've held up great.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:25 PM

I had the ipikes on my wife's accord and they are awesome for the money.
I have Bridgestone blizzak's for the Evo. Let it snow!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Hankook I Pikes. I work at a tire whare house containing all kinds of different tires I pikes are a great/ cheap winter tire. Were the good year eagle ultra grips are also great but a much more spendy tire. I get my tires at cost, which is really nice and can have a tire pulled out each paycheck. So i dont have to break the bank. .. I'd say i Pikes would be the best they can even be studded. Hope this helps
Old Oct 2, 2012, 08:54 AM

Anyone know where to grab some super cheap rims for snow tires?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hotevo3
Anyone know where to grab some super cheap rims for snow tires?
I'd search craiglist! I picked up a set of motegis for 250$
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:35 PM

I am a big fan of the the General Altimax Arctics, though they may be a little soft for the Evo depending on your climate. I've had these tires on countless VWs, an Evo, a RWD BMW, a Focus, you name it; they are a great bang for your buck winter tire. Last winter around where I live was just cold but not a lot of snow, so I would have preferred more of a performance winter tire vs. the Generals which are more suited to heavier snow.

By all means, if you live in a 4 season area, go out and get yourself some winter tires. All-seasons are worthless; they are simply a compromise in all conditions. I prefer to have summer tires and winter tires and use the ones that suit the conditions.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 09:11 PM

My Dunlop tires are amazing! Live in MT
Old Oct 8, 2012, 06:56 AM

I think I'm going to get Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position, Nice sold all season tire that can get me through the winter. Then run my V12 Evo tires down during the summer, and when those finally wear out I have a good all season tire to switch to. :| not ideal but should work in my situation.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I've had the iPikes for 3 winters now and they've held up well in all conditions. Wife also has them on her car. Good value for the price.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Hotevo3
I think I'm going to get Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position, Nice sold all season tire that can get me through the winter. Then run my V12 Evo tires down during the summer, and when those finally wear out I have a good all season tire to switch to. :| not ideal but should work in my situation.
I understand the point of compromising if you have no place to store a second set of wheels/tires; otherwise you really hurt your car with all seasons. I have all-seasons on mine now and they are miserable, absolutely suck the confidence out of the car going into turns. I bought the car with brand new all-seasons on it and I have too much accountant blood in me to get rid of brand new tires...I can't wait until they need to be replaced!

If you have a place to store the second set, get a set of winter tires! You will absolutely not regret it. Even the cheapest winter tire is going to be better than the best all-season; no question about it.