Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

n00b with suspension questions...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n00b with suspension questions...

Hey guys! I'm a complete n00b to the forum and I've had my stock Evo IX for about 3 months now. I've been noticing a clunking noise from the front passenger side wheel while mostly going over bumps. I'm pretty sure from researching here and other places that it's either the struts are going bad or the strut mount. Either way, I'm planning on doing a lot of work/mods to this car and I was wondering what would be the best "bang for your buck" suspension mod without going all out. I want to at least lower the front of the car to even the stance out but I don't want to go TOO low because the roads where I live are pretty harsh. Being that the car already rides like a brick, I don't want it to ride any worse. I'm not new to lowering vehicles, (I've lowered a '00 Mustang GT with Eibach Pro springs and Tokico shocks and struts all the way around, a few Chevy Silverados with DJM components, etc.) but I'm new to the Evo scene and AWD cars completely. With that being said, do you guys have any suggestions or anything that can point me in the right direction? Also, I'm planning on putting a new set of wheels and tires on the car but I want to keep the same sizing (rim and tire size, backspacing) so I don't need to do any confusing thinking about that area.

Thanks guys!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:46 AM

bc coils
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any 1300 and lower coilovers setup is gonna be the same. Pick the color you like. You could get some evo MR bilsteins and gt worx/swift springs. That would be cheaper especially if you aren't planning changing the ride height after you set it and ride better.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sometimes you can find good deals on used coilovers. Local craigslist out here has someone selling used KW clubsports for $1k. I would personally just get a set of Robispecs, Swifts, or GtWorx springs though.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:12 PM

Thanks a bunch guys! I was reading a lot about the Swift Spec-R springs and the Bilstein HD set up and I think I may go with that set up. Although, is there any difference between the Bilstein HD's and MR Bilstein's? If so, what are the differences and where can I get the MR's? I appreciate the help, guys!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by schnozznozzle
Thanks a bunch guys! I was reading a lot about the Swift Spec-R springs and the Bilstein HD set up and I think I may go with that set up. Although, is there any difference between the Bilstein HD's and MR Bilstein's? If so, what are the differences and where can I get the MR's? I appreciate the help, guys!
Ive done a lot of research on this lately. The HD's are really better than the MR's. Either one is a good choice but the HD's are a small upgrade over stock MR stuff. That being said I would have taken either but I had to have some now and couldn't find good set of used ones so I ordered a set of HD's from tire rack. They are in stock right now, thats not always the case. You can do HD's, gt or swift springs, and some new mounts for around $1100 and bolt them on and go, no settings no rebuilding every years and what not. Hope this helps!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:52 PM

Just reread your post and the part about your roads and what not. I say Get some HD's and gt worx springs for sure.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:48 PM

Hey, thanks MRLancer05! That is definitely a big help. Once I get the $$, I think the HD's and GT Worx setup is going to be the way I go. I'm not too mechanically inclined on these AWD cars, mostly Chevy RWD trucks. (I had a shop lower my Mustang) Would it be easier if I had a shop do this?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:25 PM

I just put on Bilstein HD's with GTWorx springs about a month or so ago. I replaced the stock struts with Tein S-techs (from previous owner).

The Bilstein's feel great and the setup raised my car about 0.75" in the front and 0.5" in the back.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by schnozznozzle
I'm not too mechanically inclined on these AWD cars, mostly Chevy RWD trucks. (I had a shop lower my Mustang) Would it be easier if I had a shop do this?

Yes. Springs are under a lot of tension and you can hurt yourself. Its actually fairly easy to swap springs and what not, but I feel if someone says they aren't mechanically inclinded then maybe for the safety of it I recommend they don't do it.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by TommiM
Yes. Springs are under a lot of tension and you can hurt yourself. Its actually fairly easy to swap springs and what not, but I feel if someone says they aren't mechanically inclinded then maybe for the safety of it I recommend they don't do it.
I wouldn't say I'm all around not mechanically inclined. I've lowered a few trucks but I haven't tinkered with these kinds of suspensions. So, I guess you can say I'm quasi-mechanically inclined, or, mechanically-evo-declined? I don't know where I'm going with this... Ladies and gentleman, Mr. Conway Twitty...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

I think you'll find evos are easier to work on, imo. Ive had to work on a few chevy trucks in the past. Imo if you can do leaf springs or drivetrain stuff on trucks, then evos are cake.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:55 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
I think you'll find evos are easier to work on, imo. Ive had to work on a few chevy trucks in the past. Imo if you can do leaf springs or drivetrain stuff on trucks, then evos are cake.
...until you gotta drop a transmission

Suspension stuff though, easy! Maybe its because Ive done it so many times, but its about an hour job start to finish moving at a casual pace drinking some beer.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
...until you gotta drop a transmission

Suspension stuff though, easy! Maybe its because Ive done it so many times, but its about an hour job start to finish moving at a casual pace drinking some beer.

Ya tell me about it. Even worse when you have to do it in a one car garage using jacks.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you end up doing it yourself just be careful with the rears where it goes through the lca! Those can be tricky, if you use too much force on the bolt it may snap. Especially if the suspension hasn't been touched recently.

Quick Reply: n00b with suspension questions...