Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

suspension suggestions before I get new tires.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this may sounds really impractical.

Perhaps your 2 methods of travel require 2 sets of rims/wheels *shrugs*. Getting a nice set of summer tires and driving 800 miles will have a noticeable impact in no time.

A set of harder tread budget tire on a set of stock 8 Enkie rims and go nuts.

Just a thought, I know this wouldn't be possible with most people.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure why people who want more handling buy cheap tires, especially when you've spent so much on suspension and rims already. Seriously, tires are the #1 handling modification you can do to your car. Try a Dunlop ZII, RE-11, or AD08. You'll seriously never go back to crap tires ever again.

Originally Posted by hatesposers
ahh yes, forgot tires and wheels... Those are always the starting point. Currently I am running some Cheap korean tire... Nexen N3000. Prior to that I was running Falken Azenis, and prior to that, Yokohama S Drive's. As you see, I have been going cheaper in tires each time I put them on. They are sized 235/40/18 on Volk RE30s

I am running about 40-42psi pressure (checked regularly)

My bushings are all perfect. I switched to the Roll Center adjustment kit, steering precision kit about 20K ago when I was doing the clutch. It's not a bushing problem, because I've had this problem since I purchased the car.

The reality of the situation is that I am not cornering enough to warrant this camber. If I was, my tires would be wearing evenly, and they obviously are not.

Also, rotating the tires side to side, then front to back, then side to side is not eliminating my problem of wearing the inside edges... It's just prolonging the time I need before I need to replace the tires. I am trying to reduce the wearing of the inside edge.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inside just at the edge wear is always toe out wear. Camber wear is more even across at least half of the face of the tire. I'm betting the alignment rack just isn't accurate enough. You'd be amazed at the loose tolerances those things are spec'ed for.

ahh yes, forgot tires and wheels... Those are always the starting point. Currently I am running some Cheap korean tire... Nexen N3000. Prior to that I was running Falken Azenis, and prior to that, Yokohama S Drive's. As you see, I have been going cheaper in tires each time I put them on. They are sized 235/40/18 on Volk RE30s

My bushings are all perfect. I switched to the Roll Center adjustment kit, steering precision kit about 20K ago when I was doing the clutch. It's not a bushing problem, because I've had this problem since I purchased the car.

The reality of the situation is that I am not cornering enough to warrant this camber. If I was, my tires would be wearing evenly, and they obviously are not.

Also, rotating the tires side to side, then front to back, then side to side is not eliminating my problem of wearing the inside edges... It's just prolonging the time I need before I need to replace the tires. I am trying to reduce the wearing of the inside edge.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 126 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by drewm
I'm not sure why people who want more handling buy cheap tires, especially when you've spent so much on suspension and rims already. Seriously, tires are the #1 handling modification you can do to your car. Try a Dunlop ZII, RE-11, or AD08. You'll seriously never go back to crap tires ever again.
1) The OP clearly drives a lot and would be replacing one of those tires once a year
2) Sometimes cars are more fun with less grip
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The tire pressure seems high for daily driving driving. I have a proper alignment (done by a shop that does track alignments) and I wore out some all seasons just by running them at 36psi. The odd thing is that I would expect the center of the tire to wear not the outside as is described. 40k is also a lot of miles to put on tires...by the time my car was at 40k I had been through the OEM and one pair of All seasons already.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Toe is normally what wears the inside edges. Triple check after setting the camber and getting the air pressure right

Try setting the camber to as little as possible ie -0.8 up front and -0.5 rear ...Also that is way too high air pressure. Use 32 f 31 rear.