Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

newb question about tein lowering springs..

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newb question about tein lowering springs..

Im contemplating on buying a set of MR TEIN springs for my evo but im just curious if there is that much of a difference between the regular/mr sets. I notice price difference from buying them new but nothing else. Thank you in advance.
For the record my evo is not mr nor does it have the mr struts.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To answer your question, MR's have different struts than RS/GSR models, which have KYB's. Thus different spring rates are required.. But usually only the rear are different.

TEIN springs + stock struts (ie KYB or bilstein) = blown struts

Look around EVOm. Tein springs provide too low of a drop, and the strut gets out of its efficiency range. Look at GTworx or SWIFT springs or ROBIspec. There's a few more, but these springs are dialed in perfectly for the stock struts.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:51 PM

Ya I know about the differnces between stock struts I was just curious of the difference in springs. The teins that are being offered to me are damn near free lol. I figured these springs along with a sturdy rear sway bar should give me the stiffness in turns that I want right now till I invest in some coilovers. I appreciate the information man. Swift is my #1 choice but its been hard to find a set locally... next option is online I guess.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand.. But yea the sway bar and springs will definitely improve the ride.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BEKevo
I understand.. But yea the sway bar and springs will definitely improve the ride.
I noticed a world of a difference in driving my buddy's car after he did springs and sway bars. Felt as good as some of my cars that were on full coils.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

I had Tein springs on my VIII with KYB's when I bought it. I rode like if you sat in a refrigerator box and were pushed down a flight of stairs. Swapped them out for MR Bilstiens and it rode like an Audi. Please please please, don't ruin your Bilsteins with those garbage springs. Send me your Billys and I'll send you a set of KYB's you can ruin with those strut-killers until you buy coilovers.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by slimjim1804
I had Tein springs on my VIII with KYB's when I bought it. I rode like if you sat in a refrigerator box and were pushed down a flight of stairs. Swapped them out for MR Bilstiens and it rode like an Audi. Please please please, don't ruin your Bilsteins with those garbage springs. Send me your Billys and I'll send you a set of KYB's you can ruin with those strut-killers until you buy coilovers.
He doesn't have Bilsteins