Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Heat Cycling

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2004, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Heat Cycling

I want to know what folks recommend for heat-cycling mounted tires yourself.

I'd like to get my V700s for autocross but may not be able to swing both wheels AND tires. I can put the stock Advans back on the spare wheels for a set of autocross shoes, but I want to try to stretch them out.

I've purchased heat-cycled tires for autocross before and found them to last MUCH longer.

How might the stock Advans react to heat-cycling?

And how do you heat-cycle on the street?

Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2004, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

So, am I crazy...?

<bump>
Old Feb 15, 2004, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may be the only person that knows the definition of heat-cycling.
Im not an avid racer so I have no clue what you are talking about.
Sorry.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I know at Tire Rack they basically heat them in ovens. But I know some folks try to do it themselves when mounted... hopin' for input! *shrug*
Old Feb 15, 2004, 10:24 AM
Account Disabled

The only way to truly heat cycle a tire is to run it on the car. We tell all our customers to go out on the track, build up your speed for a couple laps then lay down 2 good fast laps, don't slide the car. Come in and let them cool. Best to let them set for 24 hours if possible.

As for the "machine" heat-cycling, save your money and do it the right way. This does nothing for getting rid of the mold release and skuffing the rubber. This is the whole reason to heat cycle in the first place. To get the tire to last longer.

My company has worked with the highest level of road racing teams. SO, I like to think we know what is going on.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, tswift - how do you think the stock Advans would react? Would it be worthwhile?
Old Feb 15, 2004, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

I noticed the advans got pretty sticky after getting hot at the track. The next day when I went back to the track again they were just as sticky.
Of course a couple months later they felt like they were loosing grip on the street. This could either be due to colder outside temps are heat cycle properties.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 05:54 PM
Account Disabled

As for the stock advans, they are soft but not "race" soft. I'm sure it would helpful to heat cycle, but not like a true race tire. Rubber and sidewall construction are different.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by tswift
The only way to truly heat cycle a tire is to run it on the car. We tell all our customers to go out on the track, build up your speed for a couple laps then lay down 2 good fast laps, don't slide the car. Come in and let them cool. Best to let them set for 24 hours if possible.
That's the best way to do it with R-compounds. Just bring the mounted set with you to a track event and do a few laps with them...not too gentle, but not abusive either. Then pit in and take them off the car.

I know most people just do figure of eights in a parking lot. I don't really think that works too well since you really can't get heat into the tire that way. Others just drive them on the street for a couple of days (the old "street shave and heat cycle"). I'm not convinced this makes a lot of sense.

Either way, it probably won't matter since the AO-46's are basically street tires anyway. They should be less sensitive to heat cycling than real R-compounds. Just driving them moderately hard on the street to burn off the release compound and score the tread should do the trick.

Emre
Old Feb 16, 2004, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks all!
Old Feb 16, 2004, 07:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by KazzEvo8
Well, I know at Tire Rack they basically heat them in ovens. But I know some folks try to do it themselves when mounted... hopin' for input! *shrug*
Heat cycling is the process of running new tires up to operating temperature and then allowing them to relax. This allows the rubber bonds to relink in a more uniform manner than they were originally manufactured. It actually makes them more consistent in strength and more resistant to loosing their strength the next time they are used. Basically, the weak molecules are broken down and the strong molecules are left behind, thus making the tire stronger and more durable.

The majority of individuals out there will mount the tires to their car and take them out on the street or track for 15min or so and warm them up. This is ok, however, it creates tire wear. We mount the tire on a wheel then put it in a 3 roller machine (two bottom rollers cradle the tire and the top roller holds it in place and put force on the tire). We then run the mounted tire in the machine for 15 minutes. There is no "artificial" heat added (no oven, no forced air, etc). Then they receive the stamp showing they are Tire Rack heat cycled. An important heat cycling step is that after being brought up to temperature, the tires require a minimum of 24 to 48 hours to relax and reform the bonds between their rubber molecules. This happens while the tires are being shipped.

The machine: