Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

KW vs Öhlins vs Fortune Auto

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 06:23 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^Honda-guy had the older Ohlins PCV, with the Paul Gerrard/Vishnu specs. They was single way adjustable back then.

Also, if you have the DFVs, then its cheaper becasue Ohlins currently supports that model. From my experience, once Ohlins redesign and "move on," they will send you to one of their select dealers to get rebuilt. I think I will be out of luck trying to get my Flags rebuilt directly from Ohlins, and not have to pay a premium with PSi.

In terms of which is better, I've had my Ohlin Flags dyno'd at Fortune Auto. Terry clearly admits the quality of Ohlins, which I think everyone here agrees with. THe machining and craftmanship on the Ohlins is topnot. However, you must consider price as we all cannot afford to to shell out thousands of dollars for this stuff. I would have gotten the FAs mysef if I did not get a deal on the Ohlins. From a price and performance perspective, its hard to beat what FA offers; a good product that is truly customizeable and serviceable, and great customer service.

Last edited by chu; May 3, 2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old May 3, 2013, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually Ohlins supports the PCVs... that IS what I have on my evo... just had to talk to the right people in NC. and mine were bought in incredible condition, well documented from the original owner, for sub $1000... not sure how FA or any other name can be taken seriously at that price point.

I'm not saying I would pay $3k for them new...
Old May 3, 2013, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassicfun
Bolded the two parts that I disagree with above.

1. Even Ohlins entry line are independantly ajustable height vs preload... (see pic below)

2. I JUST had mine rebuilt and revalved, direct from Ohlins... $125/corner total, including shock dynos before/after... PSI charges closer to $250/corner.
Yeah. I had the older ohlins r/t which didnt have height adjustment and I did get mine rebuilt from PSI :/
Old May 3, 2013, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have any experience with FAs on CT9As but I did a briefly test out an X with OTS rates over a very rough stretch of road and they impressed me with the way they rode (I have the latest R/T DFVs for reference) - they're hands down better than any other rainbow coilovers I've tried from Taiwan (Megan/BC/Stance etc.) FAs would definitely get my vote if I were on a tight budget.
Old May 3, 2013, 07:17 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassicfun
Actually Ohlins supports the PCVs... that IS what I have on my evo... just had to talk to the right people in NC. and mine were bought in incredible condition, well documented from the original owner, for sub $1000... not sure how FA or any other name can be taken seriously at that price point.

I'm not saying I would pay $3k for them new...
Please feel free to share your contact. I sold a set of older PCV earlier this year, and the buyer was directed by Ohlins to PSI for the rebuild, which costed him $1200 bucks. I did give the buyer a deal, so it was well worth it.

Did you just get a revalve, or were they rebuilt also?
Old May 3, 2013, 07:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fortune 510 with swift springs are by FAR th best coil in the world for the money.

As far as where the parts are made thing you would probably be shocked at where every company actually gets their parts made or imported from. But the plus of fortune spec'ing, building and testing everything in house and in VA is very very helpful and their customer service is excellent. This is why two years ago we started using forutne auto and nothing else.
Old May 3, 2013, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Thank you guys for all the advice and opinions, it really helps. it looks like I'm either gonna invest in a set of new FA 510's set-up with my specifications or patiently keep my eye out for a set of well cared for öhlins r/t's for the right price
Old May 3, 2013, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
chu - i will check my notes and see if I can post up my contact info when available.

And yes, they were revalved, and rebuilt while they were working on them.
Old May 3, 2013, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Force-Fed Performance
fortune 510 with swift springs are by FAR th best coil in the world for the money.

As far as where the parts are made thing you would probably be shocked at where every company actually gets their parts made or imported from. But the plus of fortune spec'ing, building and testing everything in house and in VA is very very helpful and their customer service is excellent. This is why two years ago we started using forutne auto and nothing else.
See this is what makes it so damn difficult haha. all I ever hear how badass and supportive FA is as a company. it really seems like they stand behind the product(s) they develop and sell. Plus they care about the people who buy their stuff and want them to do well. And if I got them I would definitely get the swift spring. thanks for the opinion my friend
Old May 3, 2013, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Fortune Auto 510's with the swift spring, swift helper spring, and radial bearing are just full of win. I think thats what I have my mind set on.
Old May 4, 2013, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
i bought my car a few years ago and it came with the Vishnu specs Ohlins R/T. They were fine at first but as I went with stickier tires, the springs were too soft. then i went with AST 4100 because of the rules with NASA and inverted shocks and ran that for a year. then i went back to the old Ohlins R/T and had them rebuilt (moved to a different class, so i could used inverted shocks). then i started using hoosier A6 towards the end of last year and the 10k/12k setup felt soft. so i wanted to go with 12k/14k setup but didn't want to spend a fortune on new shocks or get the Ohlins revalved for 12/14k. I've seen the FortuneAuto time attack cars at the track a few times and they manage some very good times. so i figured if it's good enough on their cars, then it's good enough on mine

personally, i didn't really fell a huge difference between all three shocks (although i didn't have top of the line ohlins or ast and they had different spring rates and valving for the springs). the one thing i like about the FA over the other two is independent height adjustment. the other two shocks i had need to use spring preload for height adjustment.

FA have great service and friendly people. the 510 are custom valved per application and they do use internal parts sourced from the high end market, like ohlins shims.

also, the ohlins cost about $250-300 per corner to rebuild.
@ honda-guy: After reading this over again I got this think of the spring rates for my car based on your feedback in this post. You say the 10k/12k setup felt soft cause of the using Hoosier A6 tires you were running. what tires were you running before that?! If i plan on running Hankook RS3's, which have a tread rating of 140 compared to the Hoosier A6's 40, do you think the 10k/12k rates would work?!
Old May 4, 2013, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
depends on how much street driving you are going to do. i have 8k/10k, and its plenty on the track for RS3's right now.
Old May 4, 2013, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
depends on how much street driving you are going to do. i have 8k/10k, and its plenty on the track for RS3's right now.
It probably wouldn't be a whole bunch. Maybe every once in a while to bring it to a car meet that happens every weekend.
Old May 4, 2013, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by e_kobz
@ honda-guy: After reading this over again I got this think of the spring rates for my car based on your feedback in this post. You say the 10k/12k setup felt soft cause of the using Hoosier A6 tires you were running. what tires were you running before that?! If i plan on running Hankook RS3's, which have a tread rating of 140 compared to the Hoosier A6's 40, do you think the 10k/12k rates would work?!
10k/12k would be great for street tires, even entry rcomp like nt01/r888/ra1. but if you're not going to be doing a lot of street driving and plan on getting more serious with turning the car into track car, then go with 12k/14k. i've doing 4 track days with them on street tires and they and two track days on A6, they felt great on street tires or rcomp tires. also not too harsh on the street on full soft setting. but i don't mind stiff suspension on street at all.
Old May 4, 2013, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
10k/12k would be great for street tires, even entry rcomp like nt01/r888/ra1. but if you're not going to be doing a lot of street driving and plan on getting more serious with turning the car into track car, then go with 12k/14k. i've doing 4 track days with them on street tires and they and two track days on A6, they felt great on street tires or rcomp tires. also not too harsh on the street on full soft setting. but i don't mind stiff suspension on street at all.
I don't mind stiff suspension at all My DD is pretty damn stiff. and i think i'll try out the 10k/12k for starters cause the tires i'm looking into are the RS3's or the NT01's

Quick Reply: KW vs Öhlins vs Fortune Auto