Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

KW vs Öhlins vs Fortune Auto

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
KW vs Öhlins vs Fortune Auto

What's up everyone. So I'm in the process of building my Evo IX into a track car. obviously one of the more important things is suspension. I know the European companies such Öhlins and KW coilovers are on point and deliver great results, I'm familiar with both companies and the products and technologies they offer. But how about something from the good ol' US of A. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on Fortune Auto's 500 or 510 series coilover?! I've been doing some research on them and they seem promising. Not to mention they cost about half of what their European counterparts do.

Thanks in advance to anyone who shares some knowledge

Last edited by e_kobz; May 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it's worth, Fortune Auto is only "assembled" in the USA. All or most parts are manufactured overseas, Taiwan if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by lippy1306; May 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lippy1306
For what it's worth, Fortune Auto is only "assembled" in the USA. All parts are manufactured overseas, Taiwan if I'm not mistaken.
Good to know. I'll keep that in mind I know they're designed here though which is a plus. It seems like they have good quality control over their products. If they're designed here, the parts are made else where, and fianlly assembled here they ultimately have the final say in what gets priduced. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Last edited by e_kobz; May 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old May 1, 2013, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Three words, nine letters: AST, AST, AST
Old May 1, 2013, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lippy1306
For what it's worth, Fortune Auto is only "assembled" in the USA. All or most parts are manufactured overseas, Taiwan if I'm not mistaken.
Some of their parts are from Taiwan but not all. I think it was just the main body and sleeve that came from there. Everything else is sourced from other countries like Japan and Germany. Don't know where they get springs from but they mostly use Swift anyways.
Old May 1, 2013, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BriK
Three words, nine letters: AST, AST, AST
Thanks man I'll look into them!

Last edited by e_kobz; May 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old May 1, 2013, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Fortunes also ship with a shock dyno and are located on the east coast ran by a friendly group. You can purchase them from MAP, another good group of guys. The 510's with the swifts are working very nicely for me. I would say Ohlins are probably better but that is a lot more bank.
Old May 1, 2013, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thatmr2guy
Fortunes also ship with a shock dyno and are located on the east coast ran by a friendly group. You can purchase them from MAP, another good group of guys. The 510's with the swifts are working very nicely for me. I would say Ohlins are probably better but that is a lot more bank.
Yeah the 510's with the swift spring are what I'm looking in to. I think I might just go with them based on their pricing, customer service, attention to detail, and their contingency program.

Last edited by e_kobz; May 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old May 1, 2013, 09:01 PM
Former Sponsor

510s with the swift spring upgrade is awesome. They are by far worth every penny spent, plus you can get them serviced in the US . Oh and we can beat any price on them so shoot us over a PM if you are interested!

Chris
XTR Performance
Old May 2, 2013, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ohlins here, and I'll never look back... found a deal on a set less than most any Asian market coilover... already have had them revalved for my use and rebuilt, very reasonable cost for that too.

Ohlins, AST, Motons, etc... then KW down the line... then the others mentioned.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:34 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been to the FA facility and met the people behind the product. I also know guys who compete using their stuff. I am a believer the what FA offers, and think they have top notch service based on what I've seen first hand. I have only used Ohlins myself and they are also great products. I think it really comes down to your budget.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
I've been to the FA facility and met the people behind the product. I also know guys who compete using their stuff. I am a believer the what FA offers, and think they have top notch service based on what I've seen first hand. I have only used Ohlins myself and they are also great products. I think it really comes down to your budget.
That's what I was thinking too. All the people I know running them all say the same thing: their products are great and the the customer service and support is spot on. I've heard Terry is the great at talking tech specifics such as tire sizes, compounds, how it affects suspension travel, spring tates, etc. I don't think I'd be able to get anyone on the phone from Ohlins in Sweden or their USA branch for that matter to do that with me.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

I wont weigh in too heavily on the other suspensions since I have minimal time on them and mostly as a passenger, but the list above in a similar order regarding the top is correct.

That being said, I dont have the loot to shell out 4k for suspension (yea I know used is cheaper).

I do have a decent amount of time on the FA 500s with swift spring upgrade and a couple AX sessions on the 510s. Like above, I know all the guys that create/assemble the product and Terry is a helluva guy to deal with, always been honest and straight forward. For me, that CS and support is important.

Never going to convince people that a 1500 coil set up is better than motons, but price out your budget and get what you can afford. And for the price, FA is solid. gl
Old May 2, 2013, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by e_kobz
I don't think I'd be able to get anyone on the phone from Ohlins in Sweden or their USA branch for that matter to do that with me.
Strange, I have had zero issues talking with Ohlins USA (Tony)... discussed the revalve at great length, for a pretty small ticket/sale for them...
Old May 2, 2013, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bassicfun
Strange, I have had zero issues talking with Ohlins USA (Tony)... discussed the revalve at great length, for a pretty small ticket/sale for them...
Then I stand corrected. I just always find it a pain in the *** when dealing with a big time company to get specific information. in the end if I can manage to come up with the coin I'd like to run ohlins. if not then fortune auto will have to work

Quick Reply: KW vs Öhlins vs Fortune Auto