Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

All sorts of clunking and banging

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013 | 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

All sorts of clunking and banging

So I ordered and installed BC Coilovers a little under a year ago. I know many on here said not to get them but on the same note I read alot of reviews and alot of people liked them. Regardless, I installed them and everything was perfect. The car has been in and out of shops for various things so since the install of the coilovers I have maybe put 2,000 miles on it. Well about 2 months or so ago I noticed a random clunk come from the passenger rear area when I turn a corner. Then the front passenger side started to do it. Now today it seems like it is still those two corners but it has gotten ALOT worse. When I brake at a slow roll I feel it clunk/bang, when I am driving at slow speeds and turn I feel it, and I even noticed it today when I went WOT getting on the highway that as soon as it hit boost it clunked. It can be felt at my feet. I have taken it to a shop and the guy who looked it over had an EVO 8 that he raced on road courses and was very fimilar with the EVO suspension. He said he felt that it was the steering rack and suggested I take it to Mitsubishi or another specialty shop for them to tear into it. I personally dont feel that is it. The only thing I am certain of is that the inner tie-rod on the passenger side seems to have a very small amount of play. So, things I have done:

1.) Checked all the bolts on every suspension piece to ensure they are tight
2.) Adjusted preload again per BC's website
3.) Spoke with a rep at BC who stated I should attempt to tighten the upper bolt - did this but the entire shaft to the coilover spins. (waiting on his response to this)
4.) Checked for wheel bearing issues by shaking the wheel whent he car is jacked up
5.) Had a shop look it over
6.) Checked for wheel vibration on the highway - smooth

What else can I do? Take it to Mitsubishi and get totally shafted with a HUGE bill? Im at a loss on what to check next but the sounds are getting progressively worse. I am almost tempted to drive until something breaks and then I will obviously know what it is. But then again I dont want something snapping in the suspension at 60+mph.
Old May 8, 2013 | 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DarkEvo
3.) Spoke with a rep at BC who stated I should attempt to tighten the upper bolt - did this but the entire shaft to the coilover spins. (waiting on his response to this).
I was never able to do this without using an impact wrench.
Old May 8, 2013 | 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not familiar with BC coils but are you on OEM top hats/strut tops...if thats what they are called?

When you checked all of your suspension bolts, did you also check the ball joints and tie rods and all oem rubber components for wear?

How many total miles on the chasis/suspension?
Old May 8, 2013 | 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
I was never able to do this without using an impact wrench.
I was going to try that but I was unsure as to when enough is enough. I dont want to over tighten anything.
Old May 8, 2013 | 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
I'm not familiar with BC coils but are you on OEM top hats/strut tops...if thats what they are called?

When you checked all of your suspension bolts, did you also check the ball joints and tie rods and all oem rubber components for wear?

How many total miles on the chasis/suspension?
They seemed fine but I can check again. I would think that shop would have noticed but who knows. The car has 64k on it.
Old May 8, 2013 | 12:55 PM
chu
Evolved Member

You said you check the preload, but did you also make sure the perches are tight? Both upper and lower ones.

Check the torque on the mounting nuts, as well as the crown nut on the shock. There has to be a way to keep the shaft from rotating (My Ohlins use a allen to hold the shaft still.

Check the OEM bushings. Years ago, I had a terrible clunk, especially leaving from a standstill, or coming to a complete stop. Checked and checked everything. Finally, got my car in the air and had a friend also look. We found the inner bushing on the front LCA was bad. Replaced that, and the clunk was all gone.

Good luck.
Old May 11, 2013 | 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

did you check your swaybar endlink and mounts, if not torqued correctly they can clunk. During hard cornering only as well.
Old May 14, 2013 | 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chu
You said you check the preload, but did you also make sure the perches are tight? Both upper and lower ones.

Check the torque on the mounting nuts, as well as the crown nut on the shock. There has to be a way to keep the shaft from rotating (My Ohlins use a allen to hold the shaft still.

Check the OEM bushings. Years ago, I had a terrible clunk, especially leaving from a standstill, or coming to a complete stop. Checked and checked everything. Finally, got my car in the air and had a friend also look. We found the inner bushing on the front LCA was bad. Replaced that, and the clunk was all gone.

Good luck.
I think the front lower control arm connecting point is my issue. I jacked the car up and let the jack slowly lower as I put my hand on that connecting point and it popped as weight was put back on the tire. Tried multiple times and got the same thing. I tried hand tightening it with a 3/8 socket and I was able to get a 1/4 out of it. Not sure what to torque it to and see if that stops it or not. Obviously an impact would be ideal but I dont want to snap the head off the bolt if I go to much.