Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Weird Vibration making right turns...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2004, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weird Vibration making right turns...

when i am driving over 60mph in turns, which happen alot- i get this sound - a faint thud thud thud... almost like the wheel were to touch the fender... for example...

My car is not dropped and the suspension is all stock... During the first snow fall, my car drifted and tapped the sidewalk sidewall... on the driver side front... about 10mph... it just scratched the rim...

I think it might be a bushing in the control arm or something... I am going to have to take it to mitsubishi and have them examine it, but i just wanted to hear some input from you guys... Is this something that AWD does =- but i only hear it making right hand turns
Old Feb 23, 2004, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Na, they don't just do that...I bet your rim is bent or your tire is jacked. Seen some on Ebay pretty cheap, or you could put the spare on and have yours straightened.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

I am going to take a closer look at the tire and rim, this weekend.... It really only happens when i am giving her some throttle, and making a turn to the right, not the left... I thought it was due to the wack into the sidewalk side wall... But i thought the rim and tire just took the shock...

We'll see///
Old Feb 23, 2004, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Very possible that you wrecked a control arm bushing on that "drifting" attempt. On compression on hard right turns, metal may be hitting metal, there's your noise.

But the only way to find out is to get under there and take a look for yourself.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 4G63>OOOO
Very possible that you wrecked a control arm bushing on that "drifting" attempt. On compression on hard right turns, metal may be hitting metal, there's your noise.

But the only way to find out is to get under there and take a look for yourself.
far from a drift attempt... i was driving about 15 mph in fresh falling snow, trying to park the car in the garage quickly... My brakes fought me so i could not depress them, at i turned the week, the car was not stopping, i just tapped the sidewall, and kept rolling... weird
Old Feb 24, 2004, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

im guessing it's the control arm
Old Feb 26, 2004, 02:58 AM
Evolving Member

wheel bearing
Old Feb 26, 2004, 03:44 AM
Evolved Member

Look for a nail in one of the tires. Then make sure all the wheels have little wheel balance weights. It could just be out of balanced.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 08:44 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
If it wasn't balanced, it'd vibrate constantly, and you'd feel it through the steering column as well as the seat. Trust me on this one.

In addition to the control arm, I would check the two CV joints between the front diff and the hub. The force may have bent one of the knuckles, and when the joint isn't aligned (which it wouldn't be when turning), the joint is 'popping'.