Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Pads to complement new rotors

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pads to complement new rotors

Hey guys. I'm about to order new DBA 4000 slotted rotors for all 4 corners. I was wondering if certain pads work better for slotted rotors because I like the Ferodo DS2500's. Also getting SS lines at the same time. Will this be a good combo? My car is 95% street, 5% 1/4 mile. Thanks for the help.

BTW I was also looking at the GiroDisc Magic pads.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 05:12 PM

I have the 4000's and the magic pads, the car is still on jack stands so I dont know how well they work together.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Let me know how it goes man.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Hey man. Haven't seen you post in a while. I have the hawk dtc-30s and love them.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the ferodo ds2500. Absolutely love them! It's going to be hard to persuade me away from these pads. Great on street and autox.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 03:15 PM

Hawk HPS are great. Whatever you do, don't get stoptech street pads.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Having slotted rotors doesn't change anything regarding pad choice. DS2500's will be fine.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by sc00by
Hawk HPS are great. Whatever you do, don't get stoptech street pads.
Why do you say that? I've had great success on the street and auto-x running Stoptech street pads DBA4000 slotted rotors SS lines and Amsoil DOT4 fluid.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
Having slotted rotors doesn't change anything regarding pad choice. DS2500's will be fine.
Thank you. That was my main consern. I know very little about brakes and suspension so I wasn't very sure. Are the DBA 4000s and the DS2500s a solid setup?

Last edited by ch53avitech; Jul 28, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ch53avitech
Thank you. That was my main consern. I know very little about brakes and suspension so I wasn't very sure. Are the DBA 4000s and the DS2500s a solid setup?
Yes...the DBA might have slight advantage over stock in running cooler due to the pillar design inside the rotors...any of the better pads will get you where you need to be whether it be EBC blue /orange or PFc or the Raybestos or Hawks or CL pads.

For heavy track use you might want to go with the 2 piece rotors such as DBA5000 or the equivalent from Baer or Stoptech or some of the others..upside is the rotor ring can be replaced cheaper than the whole rotor and hat.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:40 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Why not blanks for the rear? Honestly, I think you're throwing your money away getting slotted rotors all around and especially for the rear unless they are lighter or can provide added benefit. The rears don't heat up anywhere near as much as the fronts, even with a 60/40 brake bias. That being said, you may want to consider a softer compound for the rear or if you're getting aggressive street pads for the front, just keeping your rear street pads.

As stated; you can't really go wrong with an aggressive street pad. You just want to find a pad that heats up fast or operates at a very low temp and has a decent temperature range to manage heat if you're running it on the 1/4" since it sounds like you mostly drag?

Did you read this already?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ct-thread.html

Last edited by golgo13; Jul 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
Yes...the DBA might have slight advantage over stock in running cooler due to the pillar design inside the rotors...any of the better pads will get you where you need to be whether it be EBC blue /orange or PFc or the Raybestos or Hawks or CL pads.

For heavy track use you might want to go with the 2 piece rotors such as DBA5000 or the equivalent from Baer or Stoptech or some of the others..upside is the rotor ring can be replaced cheaper than the whole rotor and hat.
Thanks for the reply. I watched the youtube video about DBA's rotor design which is what helped draw me towards the BDA 4000's. The 5000's or any 2-piece would be pretty baller to have by my track visits every blue moon don't justify such an expensive rotor. I appreciate the feedback.
Originally Posted by golgo13
Why not blanks for the rear? Honestly, I think you're throwing your money away getting slotted rotors all around and especially for the rear unless they are lighter or can provide added benefit. The rears don't heat up anywhere near as much as the fronts, even with a 60/40 brake bias. That being said, you may want to consider a softer compound for the rear or if you're getting aggressive street pads for the front, just keeping your rear street pads.

As stated; you can't really go wrong with an aggressive street pad. You just want to find a pad that heats up fast or operates at a very low temp and has a decent temperature range to manage heat if you're running it on the 1/4" since it sounds like you mostly drag?

Did you read this already?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ct-thread.html
I like the idea of using blanks for the rear. I don't see DBA 4000 blanks on MAP's website so I didn't think DBA made blanks for at least their 4000 series. I have EBC Yellow right now on all 4 corners. So you suggest keeping the Yellows in the rear with blank rotors and the DS2500's with maybe slotted 4000's in the front?

I have no reason for wanting sub track oriented brakes. I might go to the dragstrip 1-2 days out of the year so there is honestly no reason to my madness. I'm just still running factory rotors and lines which have 110k miles on them and EBC Yellow with at least 66k miles on them. So I'm really just looking to upgrade from stock.

Thank you all for your input.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:39 AM
Evolving Member

What are some good street daily use brake pads that dont squeak & actually brake with normal temperature & not circuit temperature!!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:44 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ch53avitech
I like the idea of using blanks for the rear. I don't see DBA 4000 blanks on MAP's website so I didn't think DBA made blanks for at least their 4000 series. I have EBC Yellow right now on all 4 corners. So you suggest keeping the Yellows in the rear with blank rotors and the DS2500's with maybe slotted 4000's in the front?

I have no reason for wanting sub track oriented brakes. I might go to the dragstrip 1-2 days out of the year so there is honestly no reason to my madness. I'm just still running factory rotors and lines which have 110k miles on them and EBC Yellow with at least 66k miles on them. So I'm really just looking to upgrade from stock.

Thank you all for your input.
Upgraded lines and fluid can't hurt.

If you do decide you want to run blanks in the rear, you can save a few bucks and get blanks from any auto parts store. You don't need expensive name brand rear rotors, really. I don't know the EBC Yellowstuff temperature range, but you can run them in the rear with a more aggressive pad in the front depending on your needs and what you're doing with the car.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:40 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Recently put on Stoptech 309's. Normal DD, nothing crazy....yet. Pretty good pads.

Quick Reply: Pads to complement new rotors