Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Broken Caliper Bolt

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2013, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Broken Caliper Bolt

Hey All,

I was working on R/R the pads and rotors and one of the 19mm caliper bolts was really tough to get out. I eventually got it out but the threads were chewed up a bit so I cleaned them up with some thread chaser/file. When doing the same thing to the caliper threads, the thread chaser sheared in two and is now stuck in there.

I am considering using some sort of Easy Out or screw extractor but I figure I should just remove the whole caliper from the car before doing any of that. I read from a search that when removing the brake line from the caliper I can just use a valve stem to keep fluid from leaking out. Does this work pretty well? How much fluid is going to come gushing out? I guess I get to learn how to bleed an Evo's brakes now... On the upside this might be a good excuse to get the calipers powder coated.

Thanks
Old Aug 30, 2013, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bleeding the brakes is a pretty easy job, Just make sure to follow the bleeding diagram. Definetly is easily done with the help of an assistant. As far as fluid coming out, there wont be too much, often the best solution is to put the line in a water bottle or something, although the valve stem cover sounds like a neat trick as well.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 08:48 PM

Thanks. I figure this would be a right of passage thing on the Evo. One day I will graduate to timing belts and head gaskets. I will just end up inviting a buddy over with experience and go off the Evo bleed diagram. My biggest concern is these dang threads on the caliper. Hopefully they are not too badly damaged or need rework from a machine shop.

Cheers!
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depending on how far in the chaser went you may be able to get to it from the back side and just thread it out that way. Those threads must have been pretty bad for it to have done that to a chaser. The trick is to put some anti seize on it,thread it in slowly until it catches then back it out a turn or two, then go back in until it catches, repeat until its able to thread all the way through.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:23 PM

Ya, wish I had been more patient with it and used anti seize. Must use brain next time.