Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coilover clunking

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coilover clunking

I installed the JIC FLT-A2 coilovers last night and I'm getting a really loud clunking from the rear suspension, possibly the right rear. Happens over bumps.

After the first test drive, I pulled the rear wheels, increased pre-load slightly to ensure the springs weren't banging around under full droop. Test drove the car again and same thing.

Triple-checked all suspension pieces I touched during the install - nuts on top of the shock, sway bar (don't think I really needed to disconnect this, but saw it recommended on several coilover installs), hub bolts, etc. Everything was tight and at full droop the springs had just enough preload to keep them snug.

I added another 1/2 turn of preload to both rears and removed the last piece of grey trim in the trunk. Test drove the car this morning - same clunking noise.

So, does anyone know what might be causing this? I did notice 2 thin rubber O-rings on the tops of the rear shocks. I didn't transfer these to the JIC's. Does any recommend re-using the o-rings?

Thanks,
Joe
www.joe250.com
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is the strut top mounts that is causing the clunk. I'd like to say that it is normal because there are no rubber insulators which increase compliance. It is to be expected from high-performance struts.

However, you can make your own rubber insulator by getting some 1/4" thick rubber piece and cutting to the shape of the strut tops, leaving about 1/16" off the edges with holes for the studs. That should minimize the clunking.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks FS! That is exactly what it sounds like, too. I don't mind the noise so much as I was concerned that I had overlooked something and it would cause damage.

I can corner much sounder now! Now I just need to figure out the best setup. It is incredible the number of possible permutations.

Also, I really enjoy your website. I learned some really interesting things and just referred an STI autox'er to check out your site.

Take care,
Joe
www.joe250.com
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Hey Joe,
I see FTs point and this could potentially be an explanation for the clunking. However, I do not hear any clunking on my car. Also you mentioned you only hear it from one side right?

Is it constant clunking over EVERY bump or just the deep ones?
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Its just the moderate to deep ones that I hear it on. I'm temped to have my buddy drive me around in the trunk to help diagnose it. I'll do it at lunch and report back. (Me in an hour: )

Joe
www.joe250.com
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Re: .

Originally posted by Joe250
Its just the moderate to deep ones that I hear it on. I'm temped to have my buddy drive me around in the trunk to help diagnose it. I'll do it at lunch and report back. (Me in an hour: )

Joe
www.joe250.com
LMAO, take some photos of you in the trunk and post them.

Seriously though, now that I think of it I also hear some clunking on the deep potholes, but it doesnt really bother me that much. I think its probably normal and you have nothing to worry about.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Joe250
Thanks FS! That is exactly what it sounds like, too. I don't mind the noise so much as I was concerned that I had overlooked something and it would cause damage.

I can corner much sounder now! Now I just need to figure out the best setup. It is incredible the number of possible permutations.

Also, I really enjoy your website. I learned some really interesting things and just referred an STI autox'er to check out your site.

Take care,
Joe
www.joe250.com
Thank you very much Joe, I truly appreciate it. Frankly, I have enjoyed your site too, I do go there to check out your latest adventures from time to time

Wojo might be right. I have the same clunck on the right rear of our STi and only in the right rear. So, when I say it is "normal" I might be mistaken. I will be doing some more work on it this Sunday during corner balancing and check the springs again. I'll also call JIC and see if they will shed some light beyond saying that it is normal We'll both report back and see if we can identify the issue

Btw, please make sure you pick a good friend to lock you up in the trunk. You never know.... you know?
Old Feb 26, 2004, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

HELP! GET ME OUTTA HERE!

Co-workers can be so helpful sometimes. Ok, it is definitely the right rear. It is only on severe bumps. It isn't what I would call "normal" in general. It sounds like metal banging against metal. Does not sound pretty. I will be taking the car straight home and pulling the wheel to inspect everything again.

Question - if the small nut just below the damping adjuster on the RR came loose, would that allow the pressurized gas to escape? When I went to set the adjusters prior to install, I followed JIC's directions and turned it to full stiff, then started clicking back down. But on one of the rears, turning the adjuster counter-clockwise also turned the nut with it. I had to fiddle with it for a minute to get the nut tight again. Is the area under the nut pressurized??? That might explain it.

Thanks,
Joe
www.joe250.com
Attached Thumbnails Coilover clunking-dsc00122-1.jpg  
Old Feb 26, 2004, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

He he

Ya like my terrified hostage look? And of course my boss absolutely nails it taking off from the first light. And then I got 3 phone calls while I'm back there. Sheesh. I'M BUSY HERE PEOPLE!

One other note, the noise did not sound like it was coming from the top shock mount area. It was lower, like the shock area.

Joe
www.joe250.com
Old Feb 26, 2004, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

OK then, here is what to do...

Remove the strut and tighten the pillow ball mount on top of the shock, it should be a 21 mm one. No torque specs, just hit it with impact wrench.

That must be it. I won't be able to do it tonight, but have to wait until Sunday.

That is also what JIC suggested btw when I talked with them this afternoon.

If you get to do it, let us know if it worked.

If you loosen the bottom nut of bump adjuster gas won't escape, don't worry but I don't think you need to do that
Old Feb 26, 2004, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Cool

Now why didn't someone tell me before my claustaphobic ride??!!! j/k

That's great. I'll report back this evening.

Joe
www.joe250.com
Old Feb 26, 2004, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Nice pic! I have a feeling someone might fire up their photoshop soon though

Did you get my PM about the height?
Old Feb 26, 2004, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

That pic is copyrighted by me, and I give no one permission to photochop it. In fact, I don't want anyone to look at it anymore. Look away!

Yes, I got your pm. Thanks. I did in fact monkey with the ride height from how I received them. I compared the height of the stocks vs. the JICs and the fronts were, I don't remember, but like 1 inch lower, whereas the rears were exactly the same height. I lowered the rears about 1 inch once they were on the car. So just to ensure that I have the same rake as stock, I wanted to know what the F & R ride height #'s are stock. I took some measurements last night for the front, but can't find my notes for the rear.

Joe
www.joe250.com
Old Feb 26, 2004, 04:02 PM
ob4
Evolving Member

Hi joe,

i also have that noise on my jic's... let me know if tightening the rear tops would help. so did you get the jic with 10k/9k setup?

-ob4
Old Feb 27, 2004, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Joe, any updates? Did you get to try the suggestion last night?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Coilover clunking