Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Amsoil brake fluid is dark?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Amsoil brake fluid is dark?

I bought a couple bottles of Amsoil Dot 600 brake fluid earlier this year and finally got a chance to flush my brake fluid out. However, after cracking the seal and pouring the new fluid out, it appeared amber-colored already (darker orange). My last couple changes were using Amsoil, and if I recall correctly, it had a lighter yellow color to it, like vegetable oil. Does this seem normal to you guys?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 06:25 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't ever remember Amsoil fluids being a lighter shade like cooking oil, lol. Its amber like ATE Type 200.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I use the same fluid and its IMO a lighter yellowish color. Can you snap a photo?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
From what I've seen, the color of Amsoil fluids varies greatly batch-to-batch. I've put brand new bottles of the exact same fluid next to each other and had one appear the color of vegetable oil and the other maple syrup.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

^Wow Ive never noticed that...since they are in plastic bottles I wonder if the color darkens over time and thats your cue to throw it away.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:46 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DOT 4 is not clear, it has a darker amber color to it.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Ok good to hear. I guess I'll continue using it then. I didn't get a chance to snap a pic of it last night, however.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

By the way, what is the shelf life of previously opened vs sealed containers of brake fluid?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Thoe99
By the way, what is the shelf life of previously opened vs sealed containers of brake fluid?
I cant speak to SHAMSOIL (I'd rather **** in the brake fluid reservoir), but I flop back and forth on brake fluid flushes with ATE products (blue/clear) so one of the open cans may sit in the garage a year

12 years with 3 different cars and never had an issue

My .02
Old Nov 8, 2013, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ Good luck buying the blue again. That ish got the ban stick.

I've used AMSoil DOT4 for 2yrs now, always a nice clear yellow color. Its only ever dark amber after I bleed it out. I'm yet to boil this fluid, btw.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
^ Good luck buying the blue again. That ish got the ban stick.

I've used AMSoil DOT4 for 2yrs now, always a nice clear yellow color. Its only ever dark amber after I bleed it out. I'm yet to boil this fluid, btw.
Yea sucks especially as there is no damn good reason

I have a couple containers unopened so that should get me through for a lil while anyway. Hopefully by then someone smartens up, or maybe I can find it stashed somewhere, import it in black market, etc...
Old Nov 8, 2013, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I cant speak to SHAMSOIL (I'd rather **** in the brake fluid reservoir), but I flop back and forth on brake fluid flushes with ATE products (blue/clear) so one of the open cans may sit in the garage a year

12 years with 3 different cars and never had an issue

My .02
What is this supposed to mean? Ive been using their products in my car for 5 years now with no known issues. As for the brake fluid I flush it once a year and although I havent tested it on the track Ive always had a rock solid pedal during auto-x with no issues to date. I'm not so sure urine would work as well but give it a shot and report back...if you're still with us
Old Nov 8, 2013, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
What is this supposed to mean? Ive been using their products in my car for 5 years now with no known issues. As for the brake fluid I flush it once a year and although I havent tested it on the track Ive always had a rock solid pedal during auto-x with no issues to date. I'm not so sure urine would work as well but give it a shot and report back...if you're still with us
I'm 100% sure AMSOIL Brake fluid is top of the line.

Their company left a bitter taste in my mouth (and many others) years and years ago, Back in the days when their obnoxious dealers would go shop to shop peddling their wares and feeding people lines of BS

With their we are the best business model, and you are doing your car harm by not using out products, Bunch of horse ****.

I wouldn't use a drop of any of their crap if it were free.

Funny story: I remember my buddy had gotten a case of oil in his shop once. We took it out back threw it on the fire pit and blasted it to **** with a couple hand guns he had.

Made for a interesting site
Old Nov 8, 2013, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Although I have nothing negative to speak of in regards to them I know exactly what you are talking about. Personally I am a fan of Amsoil but Im not saying that I wouldnt have similar results with other products.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 06:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Thoe99
As long as it's tight sealed its good for apron 5 yrs,, is the rule of thumb

Quick Reply: Amsoil brake fluid is dark?