Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

worn strut mount cause rattling/clunking?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014 | 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
worn strut mount cause rattling/clunking?

simple as title states, I've developed a clunking/rattle in my front passenger suspension. i put the car on the rack today and have SOME left to right(toe) "wiggle" but no up/down(camber) movement. there are no signs of abnormal wear/tear on the sway bar bushings, control arm bushings, tie rod end, or ball joint, but due to the ice and crap built up on the wheel wheel well i couldn't tell if the strut itself was leaking.

i opened the hood and noticed that the rubber isolator on the top of the strut was pretty badly worn and cracked/cracking. i'm wondering if the strut bearing plate or mount or top hat or whatever you call it could be the cause of my clunking? its either replace that or buy a set of coilovers, but i don't really want to do both lol
Old Jan 27, 2014 | 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend, this is not simple at all. There's a 720+ replied thread dedicated to this problem. It's a very common problem with the EVOs and im currently experiencing it... still scratching my head on what's going to solve it. Let's share it here or there and let's get this out of the way. I hope we can exchange comments/info and see what's going to help with this.
(mind you, there are hundreds of ways that could solve this problem. Just read the entire 724 replies on that thread, i know it's crazy but believe me, im starting to get real frustrated at this already)

Here's the link: (It's also on the first page of this Wheel/Brake/Suspension page.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...end-noise.html
Old Jan 28, 2014 | 07:04 PM

Same problem here... mainly from my left front side. But can here from both fronts.
Old Jan 28, 2014 | 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

I've had that noise happen twice now and both times replacing the strut/shock solved it both times. If you are running lowering springs that makes it happen faster (blown strut) but it happened to me the first time on stock springs. I know you want to think its the strut mount (been there done that) but its going to be your struts. New shocks will solve this noise guaranteed. Good luck with it.
Old Jan 29, 2014 | 03:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ordered OEM front strut mounts last night. if that doesnt solve it i'll order a set of Bilstein B8s
Old Jan 29, 2014 | 06:22 AM

Hey guys, im going to order Bilstein B6 HD. Any suggestions to where i can get the best price? Please... i will need to order it as soon as i can. Give me some places where i can check prices. Thanks guys!
Old Jan 29, 2014 | 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cmross13
simple as title states, I've developed a clunking/rattle in my front passenger suspension. i put the car on the rack today and have SOME left to right(toe) "wiggle" but no up/down(camber) movement. there are no signs of abnormal wear/tear on the sway bar bushings, control arm bushings, tie rod end, or ball joint, but due to the ice and crap built up on the wheel wheel well i couldn't tell if the strut itself was leaking.

i opened the hood and noticed that the rubber isolator on the top of the strut was pretty badly worn and cracked/cracking. i'm wondering if the strut bearing plate or mount or top hat or whatever you call it could be the cause of my clunking? its either replace that or buy a set of coilovers, but i don't really want to do both lol

Side to side play indicates an issue on the steering arm links. Check the outer and inner joints with the car in the air again

torn top mounts will also cause a knock.

Seriously though you need to go through and thoroughlty check everything if the top mounts are torn/cracked as the struts could be blown. That kind of wear is cumulative so check everything, including the lower ball joints etc.
Old Apr 22, 2014 | 09:36 PM

I also had strut mount issues causing clunking/popping. Went away with my coilovers