Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Next Step...Suspension Mods!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next Step...Suspension Mods!

What's up guys and girls. I've had my Evo IX MR since September 2012 and drove it stock for about a year. Then, this past October I upgraded a few things to up the power and now she feels great!

Current mods are:
- Perrin Intake System
- AMS FMIC w/ LICP and short route UICP
- Tomei o2 Housing and Downpipe
- Mil Spec 100 cell High Flow Race Cat
- Tomei Cat Back Exhaust
- Walhbro 255 Fuel Pump
- Road Race Engineering Boost Control Solenoid
- Tuned by Rick @ RRE making 320WHP/320WTQ

Now that I've had some power to work with, I'd like to get some suspension work done. I have yet to take my Evo to the track, but I'd love to take her to some circuit courses like Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca, etc. But for now I love going through the canyons like Ortega Hwy, GMR, and I recently went through Palomar mountain, all of which were absolutely awesome! I've done a bit of research and came up with a few parts that I feel like would be a great combination, but I thought I'd ask you guys and girls on what your suggestions/recommendations would be for what I'd like to do.

Here are the parts I'm considering:
- Swift Spec R Springs
- Whiteline 24mm Rear Sway Bar (I'm not sure which to go for 24mm or 26mm. I figured the 26mm would be for more extreme builds, but let me know what you think)
- Whiteline Front Roll Center Kit (I've read these are needed in order to correct the geometry from lowering the car?)
- Whiteline Rear Bump Steer Kit (These are also needed after lowering to prevent unnecessary steering without any driver input)
- STM Aluminium 15mm Wheel Spacers with included ARP extended wheel studs (http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...el_spacers.htm)
- Toyota/Lexus Open Ended Lugs (
Amazon.com: Lug Nuts Toyota Lexus OEM Mag 12mmx1.5 Open End Set of 20 Pcs: Automotive Amazon.com: Lug Nuts Toyota Lexus OEM Mag 12mmx1.5 Open End Set of 20 Pcs: Automotive
)

Let me know what you think!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 02:45 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Sounds like youre on the right track. I would suggest the 24mm WL rear bar to compliment the stock front bar

You may not need the rear bump kit or the front roll kit to start. Its up to you, but if youre just testing the waters w/a few track events the Swift springs & rear bar would be OK to start

Why the 15mm wheel spacers. What wheels (what tire spec) are you running that require spacers
Old Apr 6, 2014, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
I would recommend not buying the rear sway bar and getting the weir 12-plate kit for the rear diff instead. Its a way better use of the money and you will get more traction in the rear.

Also it looks like you are buying supporting mods for a wider set of wheels and tires. I would recommend getting either Star Specs or RS3s. Both are great tires and will propel you to the next level of handling nirvana.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been trying to buy the weir 12 plate kit for 3 monthes now. Everytime I call I get the same answer. 3-4 weeks. Anyone else getting the same response?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 06:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Stick w/ the basics to start

The rear diff upgrade is a high end modification that should be done after all the other suspension bits have been done / JMHO
Old Apr 7, 2014, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a brand new set of KW v3s for sale if interested in a good set of coils. Check my signature if interested.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:56 AM

Minus Previous, I'm running the factory MR BBS wheels. I'd like to get spacers because I'd like to push the wheels to get them flush with the fenders. The wider footprint is also a plus in my book. Eventually I'd love to get some Volk CE28RT Black Editions, but that's waay down the road haha

Pirana, I appreciate the offer, but I think I'm gonna stick with just springs for right now
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No prob.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 06:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ReidFletcher
I've been trying to buy the weir 12 plate kit for 3 monthes now. Everytime I call I get the same answer. 3-4 weeks. Anyone else getting the same response?
You can always restack the factory plates to add rear lockup until you can get a Weir. It took me a couple weeks to get a hold of Spence and I grabbed the second to last unit on the shelf. This was back in January and I was quite happy.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you get a Rear sway bar pick these up for the front : http://www.frsport.com/Cusco-560-315...X_p_22792.html
Old Apr 18, 2014, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by suby2evo
If you get a Rear sway bar pick these up for the front : http://www.frsport.com/Cusco-560-315...X_p_22792.html
Wow, those are neat. Instead of picking up a whole new bar, just change out the bracket. Thanks for the recommendation, I appreciate it!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
instead of getting swift springs consider getting some coilovers. I would recommend fortune autos
Old Apr 19, 2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by slowsrt4:(
instead of getting swift springs consider getting some coilovers. I would recommend fortune autos
Thanks for the recommendation, but I kinda just want to keep it simple for now. Later on I might pick up some coilovers, but that's waay down the road haha