Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear Alignment Problems, Shifted Subframe?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rear Alignment Problems, Shifted Subframe?

The passenger rear is AS GOOD AS IT GETS. Those numbers are with the camber eccentric MAXED negative, and the toe eccentric binds and won't go further toward zero. Now, here's the kicker; the camber eccentric on the driver's side is maxed POSITIVE. It will not go any more positive than -0.8. Toe is fine on that side. So I've come to the conclusion that the subframe is out of alignment with the unibody seeing as the numbers and bolt positions point that way. Only explanation I can come up with as to why it would be like it is considering the unibody, as far as I can tell, is straight (only one minor accident, everything lines up, etc).

Anyone seen this before? Am I thinking crazy or on the right track?
Old May 12, 2014, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you know for sure that all your suspension components, bushings, ball joints, springs, struts, are all in good condition?
Old May 12, 2014, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That toe on the right rear will definitely start wearing the tire out. By "only one minor accident"...What happened? Hit a curb with the back right rim? Check where the control/trailing/toe arms bolt to the body. Have those areas been "massaged" at all?
Old May 12, 2014, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
Do you know for sure that all your suspension components, bushings, ball joints, springs, struts, are all in good condition?
I just went completely through the car tracking down a driveline bind, it was in the air a ton so I checked everything. The bind was an ACD pressure regulation issue, completely unrelated.

Car has Apexi N1 EXV coilovers, which are in fine shape to my knowledge (3k on them over a couple years, only saw salt a handful of times), and there is no play anywhere that I found. The fact that the issue is inversed from side to side tells me it's not simply a bad bushing or joint.

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
That toe on the right rear will definitely start wearing the tire out. By "only one minor accident"...What happened? Hit a curb with the back right rim? Check where the control/trailing/toe arms bolt to the body. Have those areas been "massaged" at all?
The accident was two owners ago (I'm the 4th, both the 2nd and 3rd are good personal friends), and the car was aligned since. Numbers at the time are unknown.

It was backed over a curb at like 50mph in the wet, but is was on a cloverleaf, so not a 90 degree curb, like a 40 or so, nothing that would have really damaged anything. It spun a full 180 as it went off, but how it went over that I do not know. The damage was all cosmetic, a tree branch took out the wing, there was damage to the passenger doors and rear quarter. The car drove out of the ditch and 30 miles home without issue.

The one caveat is that the car did make 1000hp for 3k during its time with the 2nd owner, right up to when he parted it out and sold the shell to #3, who didn't align it but in the process of rebuilding it never mentioned anything interesting. But that doesn't mean the power couldn't have moved things around.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Id be interested to see what the frame measures out at. Bring the car to a body shop with a laser frame rack and ask them to measure it up.
Old May 13, 2014, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

I'll most likely end up doing that out of simple curiosity once my Jetta gets out of the body shop (VW is fixing some fender rust). For now, I'm stuck driving it as is.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
I've had similar experiences on the alignment rack. turns out the car shifted on the rack while they were adjusting the front suspension and messed up the calibration of the rack. try taking it back in and starting over with the rear end first. I bet your baseline measurements won't match what you've got there.

second guess is that your rear ride heights aren't equal, which can screw with the geometry. I'd guess that is less likely though.
Old May 13, 2014, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it possible one of the alignment heads was bumped/not correctly attached to the wheel? those are pretty wild numbers.
Old May 17, 2014, 03:14 PM

Maybe you bent a control arm, they are aluminum, so it possible you tweaked one
Old May 19, 2014, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Does the car have a bump steer correction kit? They can act like another set of eccentrics if you don't keep after them. Check those, and I would just go ahead and replace the adjustment bolts.
Old May 19, 2014, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Well, a buddy and I got the car up in the air this evening, and here is what we found:

The rear subframe looked to have shifted toward the driver's side, so we shifted it all the way to the passenger's side. Both sides are now at -0.5 for camber and about 1/4" toe in. This will do for now, and I still need to have the front end realigned to match it. The eccentrics on both sides are still way out of whack for how it's currently set though.

We took a ton of rough measurements on the arms and everything matched up on both sides. So at this point the next step is a frame rack.
Old May 21, 2014, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

"bump steer correction kit?" does the car have one?
Old May 21, 2014, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

It does not.
Old May 22, 2014, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Won't you install some adj rear control arms to adjust yourcamber, your toe may go back after , your frame may be bent.
Old May 24, 2014, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sunrichmond
Won't you install some adj rear control arms to adjust yourcamber, your toe may go back after , your frame may be bent.
Well, the frame being tweaked, or at lest the subframe mounts, is the current assumption.

The camber arms have been suggested by a buddy as well, and really would resolve the issue, but I want to fix it right and take care of the frame. The car does dog track a bit and pull as a result, so once everything is as it should be I'd expect that to go away.

Quick Reply: Rear Alignment Problems, Shifted Subframe?